Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Propellers & Drive Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2015, 00:56   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Fountain Pajot Belize 43
Re: Folding Props ; Volvo v Bruntons Varifold

Ouch! 3300 each. Didn't realize they were that price. Feel free to show the pics. Both Matt & David know the SUMI-J and she only came off the slip on the 19th Jan. Yes had a lot of growth this time round. I've been told by the locals we have a lot of metal on the seabed around our mooring in Careel Bay and then between being away for 4 weeks and work commitments she hardly moved for about 8 -9 weeks leading up to Xmas which didn't help matters. Not like us we're usually on-board at least every 2nd week for min 2 -4 days. What I should have done (and will do this year) is jump over and give saildrives & props a scrape with plastic scraper every 3 months. When are you getting the re-power done? Your going to notice a big change in performance from the 2020s and not a great increase in weight. Keep us posted on progress. Cheers, Roy. ps we'll be either at Hallets or Kindred Bay in Smiths Cr from Fri lunch till Mon if your out and about.
AussieCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 03:30   #17

Boat: Lagoon 380 #241

Ric,
Have you had a look at the Aussie made all stainless steel folding props from Seahawk in Victoria.

We installed a couple of these on our Lagoon 380 last year & have found them to be brilliant. I was extremely impressed with their construction when I received them.

Their price was great compared to other imported brands & they included freight to North Queensland. Plus you get local Aussie backup & service if required, with a 5 year warranty.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Slipstream-props.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	412.4 KB
ID:	96478  
Seabreeze, Lagoon 380 #241
Innisfail, North Queensland, Australia ... Cruising the waters of the Great Barrier Reef
www.sea-breeze.com.au
gspeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 13:41   #18

Boat: Tasman Cat 37ft

Hi Dave
they look great though

I am looking at three bladed and their three bladed version price is more then Varifold and similar to Volvo

Also I am a bit concerned about SS and barnacles/fouling ; what has been your experience to date & what did you have last time ?
ricb64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 14:39   #19

Boat: Lagoon 380 #241

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricb64 View Post
Hi Dave
they look great though

I am looking at three bladed and their three bladed version price is more then Varifold and similar to Volvo

Also I am a bit concerned about SS and barnacles/fouling ; what has been your experience to date & what did you have last time ?
Ric,
I dealt with Terry Graham (production@). You might want to email him for a price on two of the Slipstreams that meets your requirements.

I replaced the standard aluminium fixed 2 blades on my Yanmar sail drives. Terry looked up the specs (gear ratio, displacement, water line length) & suggested the correct sizing.

As to barnacles & fouling. Our home marina in Innisfail is upstream in brackish water where we don't have a barnacle problem at all, just slime & dirty muddy water in the wet season. I have not put any anti-fouling on the props to date. Though after 5 weeks cruising the Whitsundays in November/December I have just scraped some long white worm like fouling off the props. Easily scraped off with a plastic scraper in the water (out at the reef as I don't get into the croc infested waters at the marina).

Dave
Seabreeze, Lagoon 380 #241
Innisfail, North Queensland, Australia ... Cruising the waters of the Great Barrier Reef
www.sea-breeze.com.au
gspeak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
volvo