Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2012, 09:49   #1

Dead HBW100 Gearbox on Narrow Boat

My son has a 60' Narrowboat on the Thames, he has just asked me to find out about the HBW100 gearbox which is fitted to his Betta Marine 1903. It seems that he was just going to moor up and put his engine into reverse and nothing happened, it will now not go forward or reverse.
As I am remote from the site not a lot I can do other than try and find out as much infrmation as possible for him. He contacted Betta Marine who said it was unusual to lose propulsion in either direction, apparently the prop turns slowly.
If it was a car would say the clutch has gone (from his Description) any advice/tips welcome.
thanks for looking
Ray
rayp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 09:51   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Dead HBW100 Gearbox on Narrow Boat

Check to be sure the shift cable is still attached and moving the shift lever......if not you will probably need a rebuild. It's highly unusual to lose both fwd and revers all at once though, usually reverse will be fine and fwd will begin to slip long before it all over.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2012, 09:53   #3

Well having done all the standard tests took out gearbox and found that the drive plate has collapsed, off for a new one, got back to his boat last night found it had flooded due to my brother letting the water pump run dry and burn out filter unit. Son had just filled up with 150 gallons water, all over the bottom of the boat. To say he is unhappy is an understaement.
Anyway enough doom and gloom, at least at the moment is cheaper than new gearbox.
Fingers crossed.
He now swears he will never let anyone borrow his home again!!!!!!
rayp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 12:10   #4

Boat: Colvic Watson

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayp View Post
Well having done all the standard tests took out gearbox and found that the drive plate has collapsed, off for a new one, got back to his boat last night found it had flooded due to my brother letting the water pump run dry and burn out filter unit. Son had just filled up with 150 gallons water, all over the bottom of the boat. To say he is unhappy is an understaement.
Anyway enough doom and gloom, at least at the moment is cheaper than new gearbox.
Fingers crossed.
He now swears he will never let anyone borrow his home again!!!!!!
Ooops

I had a Hurth HBW-100 2R gearbox and you will not get a new one as Hurth was taken over by ZF Gears.

The replacement new one will be a ZF10 and the gear ration is very slightly differant but thats all and fits exactly the same.
Got mine from Marine, Automotive, and Industrial Parts and Spares - A.S.A.P Supplies

If its the gearbox you might also consider a replacement reconditioned unit from CALCUTT BOATS LTD - Gearboxes

Your drive plate can be either of 2 types either with springs or a polypropolene disc type, either way it will be a stamped number on the drive plate, mine was a disc type still available from R and D MARINE : Marine Damper Drive Plates

Hope this helps

Archivist for the Colvic Watson Owners Group
Tynesider is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gearbox