Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2020, 08:23   #1

Boat: Seawind 1000xl
WTF

Been sailing over 50 years, have a Seawind with 3,000 miles on the odometer from last year and 90% of that was single handing. Do have the online Florida boaters license, for insurance discount.

Thing is I am considering getting another boat in Europe and possibly cruising the canals in Europe. So it seems like in Europe you need an ICC license and something called CEVNI to cruise the canals.

Anyone have the CEVNI and know WTF I need to do to get one.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2020, 16:15   #2

Re: WTF

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
Been sailing over 50 years, have a Seawind with 3,000 miles on the odometer from last year and 90% of that was single handing. Do have the online Florida boaters license, for insurance discount.

Thing is I am considering getting another boat in Europe and possibly cruising the canals in Europe. So it seems like in Europe you need an ICC license and something called CEVNI to cruise the canals.

Anyone have the CEVNI and know WTF I need to do to get one.
Yup...you must have qualification

Traditionally the best international qualification for yachtman is the British Yachtmaster.

I don’t know if you can qualify for a Yachtmasters in Florida ..google and make a few phone calls

If not ..book a holiday in England , enjoy life, drink beer...check out Brexit and do your yacht masters in someplace beautiful like Falmouth

Takes about a week

As for canals ..I don’t know the license ...I suspect itS only additional rules of the road.. an endorsement
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2020, 17:05   #3

You simple minded fool....do you not understand that you know nothing (Absolutely nothing) without a piece of paper saying you know something? (likely issued by someone with half your experience)
The bean counters simply can't (and do not wish to) comprehend that some of us "dont need no stinkin piece of paper"
I personally leave the "happy to be subjucated" to themselves....and keep my greenbacks out of their pockets.....but each to themselves!

Not interested in arguing.....i simply replied to the OP and am now done.
Allied39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2020, 17:19   #4

The Code Européen des Voies de la Navigation Intérieure (CEVNI; European Code for Navigation on Inland Waterways) is the European code for rivers, canals and lakes in most of Europe.

Not all European countries use CEVNI for their inland waterways. The United Kingdom, the Nordic countries, Spain, Italy and the Balkans except Croatia have their own regulations.

CEVNI contains the core uniform rules applicable to the traffic on inland waterways, such as visual signs on vessels, sound signals and radiotelephony, waterway signs and markings, rules of the road, berthing rules, and prevention of pollution of water and disposal of waste.

Reference link:

https://www.rya.org.uk/knowledge-adv...and-cevni.aspx

Code Européen des Voies de Navigation Intérieure (CEVNI) is the code governing navigation on the interconnected European inland waterways.

Signs, rules and procedures for navigating many of the European inland waterways are all included within the CEVNI and in the same way as pleasure craft on coastal waters are expected to abide by the COLREGS, pleasure craft on many of the inland waterways of Europe, which in places are heavily utilised by commercial traffic, are expected to know the CEVNI as this is the basis of many of the various countries' own regulations.

Resolution 40 requires that candidates applying for an ICC with the inland category validated have sufficient knowledge of the traffic regulations applicable on inland waters, in particular the CEVNI. The CEVNI is not covered in any of the RYA’s courses, even those specific to inland waterways, as these regulations are not in use in the UK. It is therefore necessary to have a separate theory test on the CEVNI regulations.

There is however no separate CEVNI certificate or CEVNI endorsement. Passing the ICC CEVNI test simply allows the Inland category on your ICC to be validated, thereby indicating that you have demonstrated knowledge of the traffic regulations applicable on inland waters, in particular the CEVNI, as required by the Resolution.

All candidates requiring the inland category validated must pass the ICC CEVNI test irrespective of whether the regulations are in force in the country or on the river, lake or canal where they intend to go boating.

The ICC CEVNI Test
You can arrange to take the ICC CEVNI test through RYA recognised training centres and affiliated clubs that are authorised to carry out the test.

The RYA ICC CEVNI test is a multiple choice paper. Costs for the CEVNI test will vary between organisations (RYA recognised training centres and RYA affiliated clubs).

There are two options:

Take the test in person at an RYA recognised training centre or an affiliated club authorised to carry out the test; or

Many RYA recognised training centres or affiliated clubs authorised to carry out the test can provide you with access to take the test online remotely from home or anywhere in the world.

The "RYA European waterways regulations (the CEVNI rules explained)" publication G17 provides the information you need to learn the code in a clear and concise way - a sample paper can be found at the back of the book.

Arranging to take the CEVNI test online
It is possible to take your CEVNI test online, anywhere, anytime as an alternative to the paper-based test. You can find a CEVNI test centre using the 'Where's my Nearest' search at the top of this page. Contact your chosen centre, pay them for your test and they will then give you access to the test.

Once you have completed the CEVNI test, you will be told immediately whether you have been successful or not. Follow the on-screen instructions for details of how to get your ICC validated for inland waters.

Arranging to take the paper based test
To arrange to take a paper based test, you will need to find a convenient CEVNI test centre using the 'Where's my Nearest' search at the top of this page.

Once you have taken the test, the training centre/club will confirm your successful completion of the test by signing the relevant section of the ICC application form - there is no separate certificate.

Send your signed application form together with the other items required for your application or renewal to the RYA Certification Department.

In addition to the passing the CEVNI test, for an ICC to be issued you must present a qualifying RYA practical course completion certificate or pass an ICC assessment at an RYA recognised training centre and be eligible to be issued with an ICC. 
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2020, 17:27   #5

Think of it as COLREGs for European Inland Waters.

Reference link to the fifth edition:

http://www.unece.org/fileadmin/DAM/t...Rev.5e_WEB.pdf

CEVNI
EUROPEAN CODE FOR INLAND WATERWAYS
FIFTH REVISED EDITION

The European Code for Inland Waterways (CEVNI) was first
established in 1962, following approval by the aforementioned SubCommittee on Inland Water Transport. With this fifth edition, the
Working Party on Inland Water Transport and its expert group on
CEVNI have taken into account best practices from the existing
traffic regulations of the river commissions and UNECE member
States. In particular, this revision updates several articles in relation
to small craft, radiotelephony, Inland Automatic Identification
System (AIS), prevention of pollution of water and an annex on
safety checklist for bunkering fuel is added.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2020, 09:07   #6

Boat: C&C 30MK1 And charter boats. IWT World keelboat instructor.

Go to IYT World .com
You will get the info there. I have both ICC and CEVNI and they are easy to get.
You can do the exams online
This because to many people say the know how to boat when in fact they don't
These will only confirm you know enough about boating not to cause to much trouble.

Not all european countries ask for these but they will be more and more in the futur.
Flagman101 is offline   Reply With Quote