Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2016, 11:07   #61

Boat: Hunter Passage 42
Re: Online Celestial Navigation Course

I am all for learning new things and celestial navigation is pretty cool. But really what is the reality of GPS being knocked out? It's been in place for over 20 years and to my knowledge it has never completely went down. Both the military and aircraft utilize it as a significant means of navigation and position fixes. There are at least 24 satellites at any one time and all you need is three to give you more accurate position fixing than celestial. For the price of one nice quality sextant you could buy two cheap handheld waterproof GPS receivers and batteries.

But, like I said celestial navigation is pretty cool and being completely self reliant and go anywhere in the world is even better. You do need to take a basic navigation course like ASA 105 first or it really won't be that helpful.

And what is it with digging up these 3 year old threads?
Hoosiersailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2016, 20:41   #62

The thread is old but the question is not. If the GPS constellation were to be unavailable you would need a sextant and a way to tell when it is noon GMT.

Here is how to use a sextant without actually having to buy one. (You will have to buy one of course if you want to have one in your ditch bag.)

Vanderbuilt University's AstroNavigation Class
SV_Gisela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2016, 23:27   #63

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

It's not so old, I've seen 6&7yr old threads resurrected.

A house is but a boat so poorly built and so firmly run aground you would never try to refloat it.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2016, 07:53   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
Why would anyone take a celestial navigation course is beyond me; there is a gizmo called GPS which does not require you to use inclination tables or adjustments yet will accurately give you your longitude and lattitude with the push of a button. On the other hand, some folks still like to use the Abacus rather than a cheap calculator. And, yet others like to ride a donkey to work, while talking on a cell phone at the same time. If you cannot see any correlation to what I just said, you are a very rare happy person. Mauritz
To: Teknav & Barry

So why do you suppose that the US Naval Academy just recently re-instituted the mandatory requirement that ALL students take and pass a celestial navigation course, albeit fundamental, for graduation?

Check your facts Barry.

The answer should be obvious, but I'll let you both research it yourselves since you were needlessly insulting in your responses.

Besides - it would be an interesting academic exercise for many.

Since I'm on the topic, if anyone's never read the fascinating book Longitude, by Dava Sobel, then you owe it yourself the shear joy and education of it - an incredible and true story. It predates the celestial navigation era. Tech-aholics will even enjoy it.
BobBJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2016, 18:09   #65
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 38' cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to banyandah

Replying to Teknav

Sadden to hear your remarks, as a sextant sailor dating back to the early 70s, I can tell you swinging a sextant connects you to earth and the heavens. A GPS is a wonderful tool, use it all the time, but it's will never give you the depth of understanding and intuitive nous that watching the heavens does. In fact, a GPS is exactly the opposite. It isolates a sailor from the real world. That's not say I don't have one or two, and use them.
Old 22-05-2016, 18:54   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by banyandah View Post
Replying to Teknav

Sadden to hear your remarks, as a sextant sailor dating back to the early 70s, I can tell you swinging a sextant connects you to earth and the heavens. A GPS is a wonderful tool, use it all the time, but it's will never give you the depth of understanding and intuitive nous that watching the heavens does. In fact, a GPS is exactly the opposite. It isolates a sailor from the real world. That's not say I don't have one or two, and use them.
That is pretty much the gist of Sextant: A Young Man's Daring Sea Voyage and the Men Who Mapped the World's Oceans by David Barrie.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00DB3A9L8/...ng=UTF8&btkr=1

I read it crossing the South Atlantic last fall. There was a sextant on board, I had by copy of Cunliffe's Celestial Navigation, most of the publications were on my tablet. I used the time I had to take forenoon, noon, and afternoon sights.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 07:48   #67

Location: Thhe boat is in Titusville, FL and we're back in CO for a few months resupplying the cruising kitty and raising money for our childrens dental charity www.sailing4smiles.com
Boat: 1982 Cape Dory 36 Hull #78
pirate Re: Online Celestial Navigation Course

Even if this thread were 20 years old, it would still be worthwhile. So here's my attempt to not let it die. I found this thread after reading about the Voyage of the Aegre. At this point in time, if my boat became a salt water spa, I would be unable to look to the heavens and figure out which way to go. The thought of my wife looking up at me for hope and guidance and being unable to point and tell her, "That way, start paddling", is more than I can bear.
As a new sailor, reading as much as possible, I find many books and websites telling tales of full knockdowns where all electronics have been lost. The terror of being totally lost at sea, unable to look at the sky and stars to ascertain your position and direction would be a self imposed one and something I never wish to experience for any length of time.
Although i have a chart plotter, iPad, iPhone with navigation apps, 2 GPS devices and 3 compasses, I still download and print papercharts and take hourly course positions. The comfort I take in rolling out my paper chart to see where i am, where i came from and which way i need to go can not be replaced by an 8x10 backlit screen.
Watching these video blogs of people sailing sailing around the world, I see them hunched over the table together after rolling out their paper charts to plan their next voyage. Everyone chiming in as they go through the details of the best way to get somewhere and all the places to stop is a team building exercise and everyone in the end has an understanding of the journey ahead.
I have e-books on my Kindle and iPad, but I still prefer the paper books and when I sit down to read up on some nautical knowledge, I immediately go for the dog eared 2 lb, yellow stickied hard bound book.
We've been sailing for thousands and thousands of years, advancements in technology have made this much easier and safer and I intend to take full advantage of all the technology I can afford......I also intend to shut it all off occasionally and use my eyes and brain to continue the tradition of trying to become a true sailor.

And the people "running around with their hair on fire" when the poo hits the fan, can be used to start a fire so I can boil water, cook food, make a hardened point spear and keep warm.
SSgtPitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 09:46   #68

I had a long talk with my older brother yesterday. He is an electronics engineer and works for the state in communications. He told me of the growing problem of GPS jammers. Jamming devices are illegal, but readily available on the internet. Many of them interfere to much greater distances than they claim and create all kinds of problems. Sophisticated thieves use them to block LOJACK security devices when they steal a car, but a more common use is for company drivers that want to stop somewhere that they dont want known. This has caused problems at airports that use GPS landing guides. The Airforce was going to test a powerful jammer in Northern California and put out notices that said it would interfere up to Oregon and Idaho and down to southern Calif. Airlines and general aviation complained enough that the test was canceled. If our military has that capability I would suspect that most other military,s have it also. This is probably why the Naval Academy has started teaching celestial again. I will have a GPS or two, but will brush up on celestial when I take off again. GPS is fragile. ____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 18:06   #69

Boat: Beneteau/343

Has anyone used the ASA 105 study guides in lieu of a class? http://store.asa.com/coastal-navigat...ional-dvd.html
davefromoregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 18:18   #70

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by davefromoregon View Post
Has anyone used the ASA 105 study guides in lieu of a class? http://store.asa.com/coastal-navigat...ional-dvd.html
No celestial in 105, coastal piloting only, but the Tursi materials are very well suited to self study...get the full set.

See 107 for celestial.

https://asa.com/certifications/asa-1...al-navigation/
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
celestial navigation, navigation