Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2021, 19:25   #1

Need Sailing 101 LIVE learning

Live in SE Florida & my hubby & I (he's a retired Coastie) want to buy a bluewater cruisung boat, but I don't know anything except some terms & oh - my YouTube learning. I'm pretty sure I need some good ol' fashioned, hands-on skills(to say the least, I know)! I have Crohn's but that doesn't prevent me from doing most anything.
What does everyone recommend as the closest, or fairly close, school to put me through the 'ropes'! Advice is welcome & thank you's galore.
mrsrisakwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2021, 10:55   #2

Send a message via Skype™ to CaptWho
Re: Need Sailing 101 LIVE learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsrisakwoods View Post
What does everyone recommend as the closest, or fairly close, school to put me through the 'ropes'! Advice is welcome & thank you's galore.
Other than joining a local sailing club and crewing on boats, there's the American Sailing Association https://asa.com/ that has a lot of good courses. Check out https://uscgboating.org/recreational...ty-courses.php for your personal needs.
CaptWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2021, 11:31   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsrisakwoods View Post
... want to buy a bluewater cruisung boat, but I don't know anything except some terms & oh - my YouTube learning. I'm pretty sure I need some good ol' fashioned, hands-on skills(to say the least, I know)! I have Crohn's but that doesn't prevent me from doing most anything.
Close is relative. We have taken ASA classes at https://myrtlebeachsailingschool.com/ and we charter from the school as well. Highly recommended.

They have a variety of boats to sail and are flexible with your needs. My wife has some food allergies which we have been able to work around with the school.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2021, 12:08   #4

Boat: Swarbrick S-80

Search for “live aboard sailing school florida” and you’ll get a few options.
ChrisJHC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
learning, sail, sailing