Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2018, 22:36   #31

Boat: Freedom 38
Re: CQ'ing all Hams and SSB users

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
A bit of trivia for you. The 50 Mhz band predated TV. The reason there was no channel one on TV was that it was accidentally allocated over the ham band and had to be removed.

These days most new HF transceivers include 6 meters (50 Mhz).
...like this info. I just don't forget stuff like this
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 22:40   #32

I've been curious too if there are many SSB users who are not licensed hams? It seems rather limiting to have an SSB if you're not able to use the rest of the bands especially given the propagation distance that's potentially available.
Old 16-04-2018, 23:29   #33

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
I've been curious too if there are many SSB users who are not licensed hams? It seems rather limiting to have an SSB if you're not able to use the rest of the bands especially given the propagation distance that's potentially available.
If you're referring to the Marine SSB bands that is a separate license. There is a recent topic covering this subject.

In short, the marine SSB bands are used by many sailors without being licensed. It is illegal and if you have Marine SSB equipment aboard the USCG may ask for your license during a boarding. Pay the $140 for a ten year license and be legal. No skills or testing required.

To use the Ham (amateur radio) bands you must have a ham license. It is illegal for a licensed ham to speak to a non licensed operator except in case of emergency.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 23:30   #34

Boat: Roberts 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
"Single Side Band" is just a particular mode to get on the air, as opposed to say AM or "normal" FM with carrier and both side bands. So yes, there are lots of other "users" or operators out there that are not hams.

For example if you want use a marine HF radio like the very common Icom M802 you need a particular license for that, but it's not a ham license.

There are also thousands if not millions of "users" around the world without a license, but they are listening-only; mostly to international news radio stations with their short-wave receivers.

Good luck with your exam!

73 de VK2STM

https://www.timantra.net
hzcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2018, 16:55   #35

Boat: Beneteau 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors View Post
Gemayun,

A little hint:

Don't waste time trying to memorize the authorized frequencies by license. There are only a couple of exam questions on this subject anyway, and even if you miss them all you can still easily pass the exam.

Focus on passing the General. You should be able to do this rather easily simply by doing the online sample tests, and reading a bit.

Also...don't waste time by posting on this or other site. While there are lots of well intentioned folks hereabouts, you'll likely get a ton of irrelevant steers (like maybe your license hasn't really expired) from people not totally familiar with U.S. licensing.

Stay focused on the online sample tests and license exam documents.

Bill

This post is dead on, use the online sites and just keep taking ALL of the questins until you get them right. They only use a random 1/4 of those EXACT phrased question. Also, I suggest that you study for the Tech, General and Extra at the same time and take all three, one after the other. Same one low price. Even though you might just need the bands for General, you won't have to memorize what frequencies you are not allowed to use, you will be sanctioned in them all. Good luck
Seas The Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2018, 17:05   #36

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

So, gamayun, Saturday is long gone, how'd you do? I'm hoping it went smoothly.

PS. Say hello to Hanalei B. on your way back to SF.

Ann
Old 23-04-2018, 21:39   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
So, gamayun, Saturday is long gone, how'd you do? I'm hoping it went smoothly.

PS. Say hello to Hanalei B. on your way back to SF.

Ann
Ha, thank you, Ann!! I passed Tech, no problem, but didn't have sufficient study time for the Extra exam so no go there. At least I'll be in the FCC database and still have another month or so before I will try again. The race is getting so close!! I will also post my call sign when I get it in a couple of weeks, but I'm hoping to get my old call back (KG4CJT). I got it when my son and I were doing ham together so it's special to me. Not sure how much time that will take though. If all goes well with the test, I'll try to make some contacts while I'm in middle of the Pacific. Will keep y'all posted

Tags
ssb