Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Training, Licensing & Certification
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2020, 08:00   #1

Cansail/bareboat skipper Caribbean lessons in December or January

Hi all,

I'm Canadian and I've done the Cansail Basic Cruising course (ASA 101 canadian equivalent) and had time on the water with a keelboat on the lake. However long-term I would like to get a certification that allows me to charter a keelboat or cat in the caribbean or med without having to hire a skipper. I"m told I would also need ICC certification as that helps with the boat charter paperwork.

Unfortunately I don't see a lot of information on upcoming courses available for training that extend from what I did and the only course I found was an ASA one for January that is $7,000 per person in Florida which is too much for one week and they said i have to do ASA 101 if i want the certification as the Canadian one is not recognised by ASA like a transferable credit.

If anyone can give me any guidance or point me to a reasonably priced school in the Caribbean where I don't have to pay for training on 101 again, I would appreciate it.

I'm willing to travel in December or January for a week to do the training. While I prefer the Caribbean because it is close, I don't mind flying somewhere else to get the training - I just haven't looked as far as the Med yet but I'm open to suggestion.

Thanks
gymrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2020, 16:08   #2

Boat: C&C 30MK1 And charter boats. IWT World keelboat instructor.
Re: Cansail/bareboat skipper Caribbean lessons in December or January

Try LTD sailing in Grenada.
Chris should be abblento accomodate you.
Flagman101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2020, 03:31   #3

Boat: Mirage 35

The Canadian sailing schools I know often offer winter courses in the Caribbean, although I'm not sure any of them are making firm plans for the upcoming season (something about a pandemic and travel restrictions).
Old 18-10-2020, 06:10   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnglaisInHull View Post
The Canadian sailing schools I know often offer winter courses in the Caribbean, although I'm not sure any of them are making firm plans for the upcoming season (something about a pandemic and travel restrictions).
That's right, I contacted a couple of schools, even the one I did my basic cruising course and for now there's nothing firmed up. That's why i'm looking on my own to see what other options are available so I can plan ahead.
Old 18-10-2020, 06:32   #5

Boat: C&C 30MK1 And charter boats. IWT World keelboat instructor.

I am an instructor for a Canadian based school.
For the time being, it's very hard to plan anything down south.
Travel restrictions, fleet availability, etc makes it so uncertain that we can't recommend planning anything and certainly not paying in advance for anything down south.
We are waiting on this to settle down a bit. If they do.

We ussauly have about 8 boats scheduled for training, but we have postponed every thing for now.
Flagman101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2020, 06:41   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagman101 View Post
I am an instructor for a Canadian based school.
For the time being, it's very hard to plan anything down south.
Travel restrictions, fleet availability, etc makes it so uncertain that we can't recommend planning anything and certainly not paying in advance for anything down south.
We are waiting on this to settle down a bit. If they do.

We ussauly have about 8 boats scheduled for training, but we have postponed every thing for now.

Thanks bud. Yeah that's why i'm trying to be proactive. When Cansail lessons opened up in Toronto, lessons for the season were all full within a week for the ones i contacted, which is why i'm trying to be more proactive this time rather than just wait, as I don't mind doing the 2 week quarantine coming back home.

Feel free to PM me if you do confirm courses. I'd be VERY interested and I can even travel in December or January.

Tags
bareboat, boat, Caribbean, rib, sail, skipper