Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-03-2010, 12:42   #1

Boat: Silverton 42
Selene vs Nordhavn

I am hopeful that one day (in the not too distant future) to be able to choose between buying a lightly used 47-53 foot Nordhavn or Selene. I'm looking for opinions. The layout of either choice is fine (I'll choose an amidship master berth). The intended use is for fulltime liveaboard. Wife and I. Occasional short term guests (say 1-2 weeks). I doubt that we'll attempt to cross the Atlantic or Pacific. However, we may cruise as far as 150-120 nm from shore when traveling long distances. Initially. we'll probably want to spend 'summers' May(ish) to September(ish) in the PNW and Mexico in the "winter' (after hurrricane season). We have no offshore experience. We may get confidence to then travel further afield and go through the Panama Canal to the Carribbean or along Central America. Here's what I undersatand are some of the Pro's and Con's of my choices (please correct me if my conclusions seem wrong).

1) The Nordhavn is initially more expensive. However, it seems to retain its value better than the Selene so one day should we be unable to or unwilling to continue cruising the extra cost of the Nordhavn will likely pay off on sale. I deem this a neutral factor.

2) The Nordhavn seems to be of superior build quality. The weight of similar sized boats seems to be greater and its built more solidly (nice thick windows etc...). We hopefully won't be in any heavy seas - but if that happens (and it probably will), I'd like to be in a great safe boat. This factor tends to lean towards the Nordhavn.

3) We like to restrict the use of our generator. I like having dual voltage refridgeration (which seem to be easier on batts) and prefer to run off of solar power and a large battery bank, cooking with propane as much as possible and using the genny to charge up as infrequently as possible. Every Nordhavn I know of has fairly high generator needs and none (that I know of) have dual voltage appliances. This factor favours the Selene.

4) Assuming both boats have a wing engine (they both have this as an option) their choice of engines seem fairly comparable and this is not a deciding factor. But I have very limited knowledge about this. I'm assuming that the engines on both lines of boats will happily run for thousands of hours (say 10-20,000) without major issues or a MOH. I'm also assuming that both lines of baots are equally easy to service by an owner (save and except major issues where a pro will be needed - hopefully infrequently). I'm also assuming access to parts is equal between the lines. Am I right?

5) I'm also assuming that both are about equally seakindly - and the comfort underway is equal.

Any help or comment would be appreciated. To make this dream happen - we'd have to sell everything - I do mean everything - so I want to choose wisely (I'm assuming we'll then actually be able to afford to cruise ).
Thanks,
Bill
Bill Lee is offline   Reply With Quote