Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2013, 19:05   #16

Re: Safe range (internationally)?

Thanks everyone for all of the thoughtful responses. I am still kind of going back and forth between the comfort of a cruiser or something more blue water like, but maybe not as homey. Havn't purchase yet, but getting very close.
I'm getting more comfortable with the idea that I can ship the boat, then cruise. I just want to thoroughly explore all my options before jumping in.
GalaxyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2013, 20:57   #17

S.E. Asia is a bit different ...

Singapore, Malaysia (w. coast) and Thailand are boat friendly with plenty of marinas ... max. distance for fuel 150 nm.

The Indian sub-continent is a different story ... India has ZERO marinas with over 6,100 kms of coastline !!! Cities like Bombay have hundreds of pleasure craft ... fuel has to be "organised" and brought to the vessels ...
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 05:27   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn View Post
S.E. Asia is a bit different ...

Singapore, Malaysia (w. coast) and Thailand are boat friendly with plenty of marinas ... max. distance for fuel 150 nm.

The Indian sub-continent is a different story ... India has ZERO marinas with over 6,100 kms of coastline !!! Cities like Bombay have hundreds of pleasure craft ... fuel has to be "organised" and brought to the vessels ...
Oh Wow, that's interesting. I suppose that almost all pleasure boats would have a problem cruising this area then.
GalaxyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 06:10   #19

Boat: 41' Morgan Classic

And a large fuel capacity can equal huge savings in fuel. for instance at this time last year diesel cost $.31 (yes, 31 cents) per litre in Brunei, while on Manus Island, part of the Admiralty Islands, PNG the cost of a litre of diesel was $5.58!!
bytownboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2013, 06:18   #20

When I sailed to Brazil I travel up (dn?) the Parimaribo river in Surinam... to get fuel and provisions to carry on along the ne coast of Brazil - LONG. So we make the trip... 15 miles or so if memory serves me correctly.... and arrive at Pariamribo... the capital... and there are no docks which would could either tie to or even get off the boat. Only a pier for large ships. We tied to a tug which was tied to the dock and climbed off the tug onto the dock.

Took two days going through hoops and finally had to pay in US dollars directly to the government who arranged to deliver a 55 gallon drum to the pier. We had to siphon it in to 5 gallon jugs and carry it down to the sailboat. The fuel transfer alone took an entire day!

No town, docks on the entire NE coast of Brazil until we reached Forteleza...YIKES.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2013, 06:17   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl View Post

Oh Wow, that's interesting. I suppose that almost all pleasure boats would have a problem cruising this area then.
Check these sites out GG

http://video.yachtsxl.com/services/p...=2310601995001

http://blogs.wsj.com/searealtime/201...e-of-yachting/

Not that much of a problem.
DustyFog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2013, 21:05   #22

Boat: Passagemaker Lite
Send a message via Skype™ to Ataraxia

a minimum of 3000 miles just as the Passagemaker lite Fuel efficiency - Ataraxia PassagemakerAtaraxia Passagemaker