Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-12-2020, 15:18   #16

Boat: Ted Brewer, Bulldog 30' built in aluminum
Re: POP Yachts sell & buy another boat Any GOOD ? BAD ?

Ted Brewer design "Bulldog"
https://www.tedbrewer.com/
kmcshane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2020, 15:20   #17

I have been using pop yachts for the last 5 years and I can honestly say that they are fantastic they have always been quick to respond to my emails and answering questions about the boat I was looking at. As far as jacking up the price they have always tried to get me a better deal with the buyer. You will always get a few people who have a bone to pick when something happens but after 5 years with them I'm very happy and couldn't ask for anything else.
Old 29-12-2020, 15:50   #18

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i

I sold my 1990 Benetau first 285 on Sailboatlistings.com, while listing on POP aswell. They did a good job the broker was very personable and intelligent, the email weekly updates were appreciated, I feel that had I not listed with sailboatlistings pop would eventually have sold it.
This vessel was a fresh water “cream puff”, it sold its self....AFTER I waxed and bleached and polished and glued and corrected all the little things. The vessel I own now will sell faster than probably every vessel in my area as well. Why?

Because most owners and yes brokers do nothing to entice a sale.

I have looked at many vessels that are listed on line and with brokerages 90% of the vessels viewed looked like the owner/broker had no skin in the game. I will not use a surveyor anymore because at this point I know as much if not more, that being said few boats are actually worthy of a surveyor.

If your bilge is filthy or there are water stains
If your running rigging is black with mold
If your vessel is on the hard and you have a “widow maker” to climb to get to it
If your teak is pitted and black
If your sails are tattered and ready to disinagrate
If fiberglass is visible from broken gelcoat
If your vessel smells
If you head looks like your wife will wait till she is on land
If you can smell your head from the cockpit

It may be time to give it away or sell it supper cheap.

My Apologies to the Original Poster
There are as many bad boat sellers as there are horrid boat brokers
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2020, 16:43   #19

Boat: Beebe Passagemaker 50'

I attempted to work with Pop on several boats. One broker told me that I had to sign a contract, and put 10% of asking price down before he would show me the boat . . . Ahhh, not happening. Had to sign up with them in order to see whole boat ad. Several adds had old pics of the same boat, obvious from renovations that had been accomplished. Got absolutely INUNDATED with boats that broker "had personally selected" that met my requirements. I had NEVER SIGNED UP TO GET SPAM MAILINGS. Plus, being interested in a 42' to 50' trawler, I'm not sure why the broker kept sending me ads on 30' and 32' boats?!? Broker said, well that boat is a Grand Banks 32, and Grand Banks makes 42's as well, so we thought we might be interested . . . Seriously? Took me about 6 months to stop the flood of ill used and junk boats they kept trying to get me interested in! Block 1 Pop broker's e-mails, two more Pop Brokers would e-mail. I guess they share the lists. Tried to get a copy of their purchase contract as they said that we HAD to use their contract. Broker sent me a copy of the LAST PAGE ONLY, where we would have to sign . . . . You can't make stuff like this up folks! No standardization, every broker his own boss, his own rules, a total fiscal and business meltdown IMHO. Use at your own risk!
BlueH2Obound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2020, 17:29   #20

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

Quote:
Originally Posted by John De Bree View Post
I have been using pop yachts for the last 5 years and I can honestly say that they are fantastic they have always been quick to respond to my emails and answering questions about the boat I was looking at. As far as jacking up the price they have always tried to get me a better deal with the buyer. You will always get a few people who have a bone to pick when something happens but after 5 years with them I'm very happy and couldn't ask for anything else.

You use them routinely for 5 years? How many boats you buy in 5 years? They are supposed to be representing the seller. Trying to get the buyer a better deal can be a conflict of interest, particularly as the OP is a seller, not buyer. Doesn't pass the sniff test.

My limited experiences with them have been poor. Unknowledgeable broker who had poor people skills and awful work habits. Other brokers have been mixed.
sanibel sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2020, 17:32   #21

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by John De Bree View Post
I would honestly suggest that it sounds like you may have a vested interest in promoting them.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2020, 18:00   #22

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

POP Yachts are responsible brokers. I have looked at several boats they have listed and their posts were clear and precise. Unfortunately many of their customers (Sellers) can be delusional, thinking their 25 year old salty dog that has not been run in years is still worth close to what they paid for it. Then they tell you it wont run, but just needs carb work.........yeah and I got car whose AC just needs to be charged And these Sellers will not budge on their un-realistic price. The costs to repower a twin engine cruiser, whether gas or diesel, sometimes mean you could not give it away. I see this all the time in South Florida, typically when the vessel sits at a dock in the back of their waterfront house, so the Seller is not paying dockage and motivated to sell.
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2020, 06:31   #23

Given all the bad reviews for POP Yacht, I'm a little afraid to comment. But, what the heck: I had a good experience with them.

In anticipation of buying a larger boat for part-time live aboard on the Chesapeake, I listed my WellCraft Martinique for sale on CL. No real action for a month. POP Yacht called me and gave me their spiel. I was suspicious, but listened. When they got to the "cancel anytime" and the "no commission if you sell it yourself", I decided to go with them. I have to agree with one commenter above: they did send me weekly contact information which I found helpful . And, I had real people call me and discuss the marketing. My WellCraft was a 2000, but in top condition with no significant problems. All systems worked, all upholstery and canvas in excellent condition; the boat was well cared for by me for 8 years, with a new trailer and full Fisher DuroMax cover ($1800), and brand new Bravo III OD ($13,500-hit a rock on the Hudson).

Long story made short: they got me a good price, at the top of the range for the year and condition. And, they really did handle the entire transaction efficiently, with the money wired to my account as promised. The salesman, who was attentive and always on time with calls or showings, actually saved the deal when I refused to let the buyer on sea trial run the boat wide open. Because of that the buyer wanted to cancel. The salesman convinced him, as I told the buyer, I don't run my boats wide open, which was true. The deal went through and I was well satisfied with POP Yachts handling of the entire deal. That was in May of this year. Just happened to speak to the buyer last week, and he's as happy with the boat and the deal as I was. I did not ask him how he felt about POP, but he did not have anything negative to say. So, I would assume he was also satisfied with them too.

I guess POP like many other things in life: the luck of the draw. Sometimes you get a good experience, while someone else might get not such a good one. But, I'd use them again.
George Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 07:27   #24
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

I am happy with POP, they sold a boat for me in 2017, for more than I paid for it brand new, the year before, still in shock.

Obviously the buyer fell in love with the boat and it was obviously clean, well equipped, etc.

The buyer tried a few low offers at first, I declined the offers and decided to take the boat off the market and just keep it. POP said I had to sell it if I got full asking price as per the contract.
Next morning the buyer sent a written offer for the full asking price, $9.500.00 more than I paid for the boat, nice.
Survey and sea trial went flawless.

Did not make a profile due to the POP’s commission, but still a good deal, I had a brand new boat for 18 months and got my money back, thx POP.

2016 Glacier Bay 2770.
Old 01-01-2021, 12:11   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanibel sailor View Post
You use them routinely for 5 years? How many boats you buy in 5 years? They are supposed to be representing the seller. Trying to get the buyer a better deal can be a conflict of interest, particularly as the OP is a seller, not buyer. Doesn't pass the sniff test.

My limited experiences with them have been poor. Unknowledgeable broker who had poor people skills and awful work habits. Other brokers have been mixed.
Actually I worked it out that I have been with them trying to get my dream boat for well over 5 years unfortunately a few sellers think that their boat is worth more than what it really is yes they represent the buyer but it's also their job to tell the seller what it's worth on the market at that point in time and I push this. Because so many sellers think that their boat is special or better than the rest it's also the company's obligation to make sure that they pass on the information from me the buyer as well as with many buyers who think I'm a tire kicker well I'm not I'm looking after me not you the seller or it's representative but I have to say as a buyer I can't fault them
Old 01-01-2021, 12:16   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
I would honestly suggest that it sounds like you may have a vested interest in promoting them.
The only vested interest is myself I don't work for anyone and I'm not promoting them I'm telling you what my dealings are. And if you don't like that well tough luck
Old 02-01-2021, 10:56   #27

Boat: Albin 25

Although my boat ultimately did not sell, I can recommend POP Yachts based on the very wide exposure they gave my listing. They provided me with weekly reports showing the names of all who had viewed the ad with number of clicks and time spent, were efficient in drafting and presenting offers, although I am in Canada so I cannot blame them for not visiting the boat. They provided me with a number of Canadian prospects who came to look at the boat. At $12K USD very few brokers were interested, but I felt respected by POP. I continue to offer it through Kijiji and FB etc. but wrapped for winter now.
Sunsetrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2021, 16:34   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmcshane View Post
Attachment 229617

Attachment 229618

I would like to take issue with this comment. I have my boat listed on Ebay, CL, here on Cruisers Forum, Yachtworld, Sailboat Listings and POP. None of these listing agents, including POP, have altered my price, pics or description. Stating that POP "jacks the price" or takes mostly "overpriced or in bad shape" are both erroneous in my case.

POP has sent me weekly viewer reports for probably a year, and they are quite detailed. It is a little annoying for browsers on POP to have to enter an email to see all the photos, but this is propably how to watch which boats you click and peruse. Ebay does something similar on my listing, because they show me how many views and watchers I have.

POP has now found a buyer, facilitated the buyer and his surveyor aboard, has collected an escrow deposit, and scheduled the sea trial and purchase due date.
My treasured pocket cruiser is about to accompany the new owners around the world, and doing Ted Brewer's design proud.

Great looking boat. Sorry to see she is back on the market.
Old 16-01-2021, 06:09   #29
cdy

I find something a bit fishy - a number of the posts defending Pop Yachts are from power boaters - maybe I am wrong but isn't 95% of this forum - sailors? How did these guys know about the site? Seems odd - the one sailboat that a poster wrote he had sold though Pop Yachts - I did see a boat that I was interested in - on CL I believe( 2 weeks ago) - I emailed for info with 2 specific questions - turns out it was a Pop Yacht listing - in Tampa - got a quick computer generated response saying someone would contact me shortly - nothing.

My current boat was listed with Pop Yachts - the owner listed it first himself - at too much - then Pop Yachts - for too much , then back himself and became more realistic on the price. At least in Florida the boats I see them advertising are over priced, they sit on the market for a long time - someone needs to have a come to Jesus discussion with them about what the boat is worth and where they need to price it if they want to sell it in a reasonable time frame
cdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2021, 07:57   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdy View Post
I find something a bit fishy - a number of the posts defending Pop Yachts are from power boaters - maybe I am wrong but isn't 95% of this forum - sailors? How did these guys know about the site? Seems odd - the one sailboat that a poster wrote he had sold though POP

Might be because this is the powerboat forum of CF...

Tags
boat, yacht