Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2010, 11:10   #1

Newbie (Will Be !) - Dilemma . . .

Ladies and Gents, Bit of a long thread - but here goes.....
Will be pushing the button on one of 2 Cruisers 3375 (have been looking for 3-4 months, and in one day see 2 beauties - typical..), need a bit of help deciding:
Both are in excellent condition, inside/outside, similar electonics , newer enclosures etc and roughly the same price (albeit the 1999 is $2k less. Both V-Drives. Here is the main difference.....
The 1999: has the edge on overall condition (cockpit vinyl etc) Spare Props,and other 'bits' but NO Generator. The biggie....it was re powered in Dec 2009 with New Mercruiser 8.2 Horizons, now has approx 10 hours. They are new complete crate engines (pumps, manifolds etc), but left over stock i assume from circa 1998 (from what i can gather from a serial number look up) Total cost $30,000 installed -

the 2000, 550 hours on 7.4 MPI, recent engine work (appears to be head work amongst other things - low compression on Cyl#6)) around $6k and other work including new shafts, seals etc total $17k (April of this year) HAS Generator...
Now -- Genny is relatively important, but can wait. I can install/wire a Kohler, used or rebuilt and figure I'll be in around $4k the panel is already set-up, and maybe even pre-wired - and will be looking out for one over winter (live in Florida)
Couple of questions:
The new engines are a huge draw to me, and plenty more than adequate power...does anyone have opinions on why an older (untouched) engine was installed? and where on earth do they get them! Common practice?

I'll throw this one out there.....If you had the choice???

Thanks all - I look forward to many more posts on this forum as one of these will be in my local marina shortly

Many thanks all,
Mark
markmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2010, 11:26   #2

Boat: Leopard Catamaran
I would be leery of the head work. It was done for a reason and any reason to do the heads is a good reason to repower. A new generator will probably cost more than $4000, but you will get many years of use out of it. 2. Does the generator work reliably?, ... under full load, ...for 8+ hours?? You may be replacing it anyway. Having bought a boat with a head rebuild and having one engine seize within an hour of purchase I'm a little gun shy. that's my .02c
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2010, 11:30   #3
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The choice I see is:

Boat a) New engines, and everything done for you
Boat b) Not much cheaper than A, not cheap enough or battered enough to warrant rebuilding her your way.... You'll just be spending dollars filling the gaps.

Older engines - so long as the seals etc are new, that should be no problem. But they're marine engines - it's only a matter of time before they break no matter what their age!
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2010, 13:16   #4

2 engines vs. 1 generator. the genny will be cheaper. I would be dropping the one with low compression and headwork like a hot potato. Genny isn't enough to drive the bus on this one IMHO.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2010, 13:30   #5

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor
Personally, having spent the greater portion of the past year refitting more than sailing, I say go for the boat with the new engine and add a generator later.
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2010, 14:53   #6

Thanks all for the feedback, it really tells me what my heart is saying to do.....
Deal is done. Next up survey and sea trial, although with the 8.2's pushing it along, I somehow doubt we will uncover anything untoward on the sea trial...But it is boating!!
markmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2010, 17:32   #7

Boat: Sea Ray 38 - Nauti-Girls
I am a newbie to the site also. Just wanted to say, I think you made the right decision. The 8.2's are good engines and new usually makes for a few years without too many issues. Just make sure if you add a genset, get a low rpm (1800rpm) version. Much quieter and better on gas. Good luck!!
beep beep is offline   Reply With Quote