Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2018, 16:45   #16

re: Making Voyages on twin gas engines ?

We have a 30' Sea Ray w/twin 350's/260hp. I like to run about 10 knts which means running about 1800 rpms and gives me the best fuel use and I have a nice air flow. If I need to go faster on plane or at 30 miles per hour the engines run about 3500 to 4400 rpms. I really like the 10 to 12 knts speed because it gives me time to look around and enjoy. We had a 225 Crownline w/502 that ran 65mph, as I have aged slower is better.
Dave Richter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2018, 18:29   #17

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Tow it. If you are only staying a few weeks the trailer storage should not be an issue. If you were staying say months I would say just drive the boat. Have you seen hotel prices in the Keys lately? In that respect you are going to be way ahead of the game. You could even get a hauling service to move the boat for you if you are not up to it. A boat that size should be comfortable for a few weeks at a time.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 11:05   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al B View Post
Retired couple
Boat - 2004 Regal Commodore with new twin 4.3 gas engines
Model 2860
Length around 30 ft,
Has a 3 axle trailer but we leave at a marina
After 3 years of ownership a weekender of this type is designed for the once a month user not the twice a week local fishing & sleeping aboard boater
LIMITED on space and unpractical for our present needs ,
UNTIL SOLD this is what I HAVE plus new engines hopefully trouble free
Considering a trip via water from Cocoa Beach too Keys , staying a few weeks then back up
Really need a different boat for voyages RETIREMENT offer the time
but what boat will be next ? Trawler , Sail ,
Have sailed and considering one and next boat selection will be challenging .

Have wide beam boat permit but driving a 9 thousand lb boat on RT 95 not fun and all sorts of legalities if an accident happens plus once I am destination parking truck & trailer add in theft of trailer always a concern
Trying too make the voyage via water
I generally go around 15 knots. I enjoy being on water and don't have too speed . Beaten up by bigger boats wakes picking up stuff in cabin

THINKING , what if I run 12 knots one engine , hour on each engine too keep hour meters close too each other
One engine at 12 knots or both engines 12 knots ???? will I converse 1/2 the amount of fuel burn if one engine is running .
I run one engine at times slow and not much of difference , but I am not going long distance

Trip too keys via water is around 350 miles each way , when I plane at 3000 rpm I am burning 1 gallon a mile
Any other thoughts on making this voyage , mostly intra coastal ,
Tide in my favor helps,

Anybody interested in a trade a 30 ft Regal Commodore with new engines ?

I'm sorry to hear about your unhappiness with the boat.

We had a couple docking near to us and they had a Regal about 26 feet and just loved it, they went out almost every weekend and I never heard them complain about anything to do with the boat.

I have a Carver 3607 with twin 7.4 Mercs and I did a test to see what was most economical to cruise at hull speed, 7-8 knots, one or 2 engines.

I found that the difference between going with just one engine was not worth the steering hassles and forget docking with one engine, it's near impossible.

Where in the Great Lakes are you returning to, I might be interested in trade.
1000 islands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 12:59   #19

Boat: Bruce Roberts 45

I agree with towing it. Don't tow all the way to the keys though. We tow our boat down to north Miami Beach to Haulover park and launch there. It's not cheap for parking but it's pretty safe. We have never had a problem leaving the truck and trailer for a week at a time. You can also start further south at a couple of the parks in Biscayne bay. They have ramps with secure parking with security. Matheson hammock is one. Our boat is similar in size/weight to yours and we come from Melbourne. It's not a lot of fun towing but it saves a lot of time and money. And if it's under a 10' beam to be legal you just need to purchase a $25 yearly permit to tow. You don't need a wide load sign unless it's over 10' wide, or so I've been told.
3Days_at_a_time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 18:09   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Gas engines should do fine. 50 years ago most smaller commercial fishing boats were gas. Many flatheads and one cylinder Hicks going many miles out to sea. One issue is moisture and older distributors. After a long run and shutdown, at night cool air and moisture is drawn into the engine. On some engines when starting, they heat up and send the moisture up the distributor shaft where it forms as water on the underside of the cap. The engine won't start because the spark is arching all over the cap underside. The solution is carry a spare cap and a spray drying agent.
Minus the ignition, gas engines are about as reliable as diesel. They don't last as long, burn more fuel that can be explosive. But using gas is cheaper than changing engines or buying another boat.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 23:56   #21

I dont know of any Gas engines that dont have an "0" ring seal on the shaft of the distributor that were built after about 1960 The "0" ring stops any moisture getting into the cap. Not sure if the engines in question even have a distributor as they are all fuel injected and electronic ignition contolled by an ECU They have coil packs which only cost a few $s and probably be carried on a boat as spare.
Barney21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 08:40   #22

Boat: Bruce Roberts 45

I wouldn't worry from a reliability standpoint. We have almost 500 hours on our boat and did over 1000 miles in trips last year with nothing but routine maintenance.
We have a carbureted 5.7 with a bravo 3.
3Days_at_a_time is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine