Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-06-2013, 07:07   #46

Guns Should Not Be Allowed To Be Owned By Civilians

Full STOP - let alone on boats

Old 25-06-2013, 07:22   #47
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Guns aboard

people are violent by nature...lol
live right and then ye donot even think of needing guns to arm self in third world countries which are more civilized in many ways than usa, go figger.....
you do not want to lose your freedom, boat, and family to something as stoopit as violation of a handgun or other firearm law in a napoleonic law legal base.....bring a lot of cash...that way you dont have to sleep nekkid in cucaroches and dirt, and you can mebbe brush your teeth with your very own prison toothbrush....godknows where the kids will end up--if blonde--mebbe a sex slave somewhere-----otherwords---keep the guns home.
Old 25-06-2013, 07:33   #48
cruiser

Boat: Choey Lee 30

I think we all got trolled fellas errrrrrrrrrrr
Old 25-06-2013, 07:39   #49

I can't advocate that everyone do this, and they're dangerous around kids, but it's my right to carry them and I will continue to do so.

Oh sorry. Guns... on cruising boats? Of course not.
Old 25-06-2013, 08:34   #50

Asking about guns on a sailing/cruising forum is like going to a gun forum and asking about sailing/cruising.

Everybody has an opinion on guns, whether they have any subject matter expertise or not, and whether they know anything about your personal situation or not.

I was a federal law enforcement agent for twenty one years and worked in a lot of foreign countries, and the one size fits all advice you will get here about guns is not going to be particularly helpful, from what I have seen of these type threads in the past.

This is a good place to come for personal opinions on that subject, but not so good for useful and accurate information. Just make sure you understand the difference.
Old 25-06-2013, 08:51   #51

There is a much greater chance of drowning than being raped or shot by pirates.
Old 25-06-2013, 09:06   #52

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisjs View Post
I think GG is really trying to prove that she can achieve "Guru" status on this Forum without ever knowing anything about boating. Just keep on posting and racking up the count!!

Excuse my error, on THIS forum she would become a "Senior Cruiser".

Now, now Chris--- GG is out there looking and looking for a boat that is "for sale" ..... So if you find any "for sale" info please forward it. This is becoming a life long crusade for her.
Old 25-06-2013, 09:10   #53
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by europaflyer View Post
I'm not quite sure what situations firearm owners are preparing for. A retired couple who had never fired a shot in anger in their lives would have been gunned down in seconds, and, whatever your pirate fighting fantasies, this is the most likely scenario for most other sailors as well.

I think someone posted a few pages back that they kept firearms on board in US waters, but not abroad. Surely only being armed in 'safe' waters totally defeats the point? Or do US citizens really have such a low opinion of domestic security, and such a low level of trust in a system of government which we are told is an example to the world, that they think this necessary?

The truth is that the rest of the world does not share the US fetish for firearms.
Here lies the typical European misconception of US firearms owners. As an owner and a “retired couple” who legally carry firearms within the USA, we train with our weapons every week at a local range; so just in case a weapon is ever needed, we are ready…. In fact more ready than some criminal who has probably never fired his weapon. Fetish?? No fetish here, we do what is necessary when living surrounded by human filth in the intercity. Regarding the fantasy that countries are safer without guns…. Just look up Switzerland where every household has multiple guns including automatic weapons, then.... review the Swiss crime stats, you’ll find violent crime in Switzerland to be one of the lowest in the world.

We don’t carry firearms abroad because we always follow the laws of our host country, not because we don’t feel the need to carry a weapon.

Not intending to create an argument like many on a gun thread, I think the primary concern for the OP should be the safety of the children. If the guns are properly secured from the children, and she has a legal right to have a weapon on board in US waters…. I’d say do it if it makes her feel more secure.
Old 25-06-2013, 09:14   #54

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

europaflyer,

Your thought about the low opinion of domestic security hits the nail.
Not wanting to paint a wide brush, but lots of cops just want to write up a report after the fact. Over the years, I've had personal experience with business breakins and friends with gang type experiences where cops took their sweet time, or didn't show up at all.

Sun Tzu
Old 25-06-2013, 09:26   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Here lies the typical European misconception of US firearms owners.
I suspect you're not typical in your diligence re gun training. Good for you (and us).

Your misuse of the Swiss stats is unfortunately typical for US gun-supporters, and ignores the fact that most of the first world has lower violent crime than the US... without widespread ownership of non-sporting guns.
Old 25-06-2013, 09:42   #56

Boat: Van De Stadt Excalibur 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812

Guns are probably not a good idea (I'm not sure that opinion has ever been expressed on CF before) Maybe a tripod mounted mortar on the bowsprit and a 20mm or more machine gun on the pushpit (1 on either side of course). And for the Starboard and Port sides a couple of flame throwers. For some that won't be enough but its a start. :P

My personal favourite:
Old 25-06-2013, 09:42   #57

It's all personal preference, and following applicable laws.

Nothing more.
Old 25-06-2013, 09:46   #58

Boat: Junk rig Schooner

Quote:
Here lies the typical European misconception of US firearms owners. ...... Just look up Switzerland where every household has multiple guns including automatic weapons, then.... review the Swiss crime stats, you’ll find violent crime in Switzerland to be one of the lowest in the world..
^ I'd class this as a "misconception".
In the OECD/developed world (lets compare apples with apples) Switzerland has one of the highest firearm death rates, and several times higher than many developed nations outside Europe (Australia included).

So.. not so rosy in the Alps, maybe yodelling is really a lament..
Old 25-06-2013, 10:06   #59

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Taking bets on when this thread gets shut down. I pick today and bet all my worldly possessions. And my girlfriends Pomeranian.
Old 25-06-2013, 10:08   #60

Quote:
Regarding the fantasy that countries are safer without guns…. Just look up Switzerland where every household has multiple guns including automatic weapons, then.... review the Swiss crime stats, you’ll find violent crime in Switzerland to be one of the lowest in the world.
Yet Switzerland has one of the highest gun homicide rates in Europe. As for violent crime, how does people having an assault rifle in their attic make the streets any safer?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Correl...mply_causation

When I visited Switzerland, I was surprised at how run down, graffiti-covered and hostile parts of the cities looked, and I was also surprised by the level of problems with drug use with which they have to deal. They have their problems, just like the rest of us.

The UK has some of the most restrictive firearm control laws in the world. Handguns are entirely illegal, as are semi-automatic centrefire rifles. Firearms licenses are strictly controlled. By your logic, the UK should be a very dangerous place to live - yet I have never been the victim of any sort of serious crime. I do not even know anyone who has been the victim of a firearm-related crime. The truth is that firearm control laws have been so effective that the need to have a 'right' to own a firearm for self defence has been entirely obviated. How does this compare with your experiences in the US?

If there was a part of the world where I would feel so unsafe that it would be necessary to have a firearm on board, then why on earth would I go there?
Closed Thread

Tags
Guns