Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2021, 03:50   #16

Re: Fuel efficient fishing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpjeepy View Post
I fish saltwater. I know there are ways to protect aluminum in the salt, but not knowing enough I have always been nervous of it. If I had to go that route, I would prefer the welded boats over the riveted boats.
You just have to watch for dissimilar metals and give it a good freshwater washdown when you haul it (I'm assuming, you are trailering if it's only 15ft).

Saltwater boaters prefer outboards and guess what they are made of...aluminum.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2021, 06:18   #17

Quote:
Touché

Boats like the Arvor would be a good start. I don't want to say a specific area, because it would be nice to be able to travel the boat and fish in different areas.

- I think 15ft+ would be a minimum.

- 10mpg or better

- Capable of a 25-degree roll without taking on water. (That's not information that is typically available. So maybe 20"+ gunnels.)

- 12+ knots

- Self-bailing would be cool

Still too broad?

Thinking in mpg is a mistake. If you’re in a tidal area it will make nonsense of that figure depending on whether you’re motoring into it or against it. Gallons/litres per hour is the most useful number.
Yellowtulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2021, 06:23   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillKny View Post
I do a LOT better than that.

We just came back from a three day trip from Hampton Roads, VA out 80 NM to the Norfolk Canyon to fish for Golden Tilefish. Our TOTAL fuel spend for the entire trip: 12 gallons. We don't cruise at 13 knots, but we do eight...

We put over 80 pounds of the tastiest fish that swims into the ship's freezers. If you have ever eaten tilefish, you know what I mean. If not.. well more for me!

Fish and boat in the attached pictures...

https://thefishingsailor.com
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkR...3h0VL0POkvh7yA
I like the thought, but looking for something a little more traditional. When I retire I'll be with you.
fpjeepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2021, 06:25   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
You just have to watch for dissimilar metals and give it a good freshwater washdown when you haul it (I'm assuming, you are trailering if it's only 15ft).

Saltwater boaters prefer outboards and guess what they are made of...aluminum.
You're right, bit I would like the ability to leave it in the water, with the engine trimmed up 😉
Old 20-08-2021, 06:26   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcliffe01 View Post
The best I had heard of for a displacement boat was Idlewild. 55ft long, 30 000lb. 55 Hp diesel. Did the northwest passage and then circumnavigated. Consumption 1.3 gal/hr at 6.5kt or 5nm/gal Not much on the top speed end of things of course...

Awesome boat. I need something a little smaller and a little faster.
Old 20-08-2021, 06:38   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
A boat around 15' or so with 20" freeboard? I wouldn't take that more than a mile or so out of the harbor and only on the calmest of days.
Those were meant to be minimums. 20" comes up to about my kneecap. (I'm 6') 25" is more comfortable. 17 Greenough is a popular boat for fishing up to 20 miles offshore on the west coast.

Old 20-08-2021, 06:39   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowtulip View Post
Thinking in mpg is a mistake. If you’re in a tidal area it will make nonsense of that figure depending on whether you’re motoring into it or against it. Gallons/litres per hour is the most useful number.
With cruise speeds in the teens, MPG (or NMPG if you prefer) is a very logical approach.

If you have a cruise speed of 5-6kts...1-2kts current can make a huge difference in SOG. 5kts into a 2kt current can throw you off by 40%.

At 13-16kt...1-2kts will typically be 10-15% and usually it will average out as tidal currents aren't constant and we can presume a 15ft fishing boat is going to make a return trip in the opposite direction. In many coastal areas, you will never see anything close to 2kts.

So while you need to be aware of currents, it's far less of an impact than on a slow sailboat traveling in one direction.
Old 20-08-2021, 06:40   #23

Quote:
You're right, bit I would like the ability to leave it in the water, with the engine trimmed up 😉
For a few days, I wouldn't worry too much. If you are doing it for a full season, then it becomes more of a concern but then you want to do bottom paint and anodes...but you need those for fiberglass also.
Old 20-08-2021, 06:43   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
A boat around 15' or so with 20" freeboard? I wouldn't take that more than a mile or so out of the harbor and only on the calmest of days.
We used to go 5-10 miles out onto the Great Lakes regularly.

Certainly more comfortable on calm days but many times wound up in rough conditions and the boat was fine.
Old 20-08-2021, 06:43   #25

Quote:
With cruise speeds in the teens, MPG (or NMPG if you prefer) is a very logical approach.

If you have a cruise speed of 5-6kts...1-2kts current can make a huge difference in SOG. 5kts into a 2kt current can throw you off by 40%.

At 13-16kt...1-2kts will typically be 10-15% and usually it will average out as tidal currents aren't constant and we can presume a 15ft fishing boat is going to make a return trip in the opposite direction. In many coastal areas, you will never see anything close to 2kts.

So while you need to be aware of currents, it's far less of an impact than on a slow sailboat traveling in one direction.
Agreed. Gph isn't helpful if I don't know how fast the boat is going.

Quote:
For a few days, I wouldn't worry too much. If you are doing it for a full season, then it becomes more of a concern but then you want to do bottom paint and anodes...but you need those for fiberglass also.
True true
Old 21-08-2021, 02:31   #26

Fuel efficient fishing boat

Quote:

Yes, I realised as soon as I posted that I was being sailing-boat centric, but nevertheless, a 9.5 hp motor has been mentioned, is this going to provide speeds over 12 knots in adverse conditions, ie wind-over-tide? Or the chop where a river outflow meets a tide?
Yellowtulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2021, 06:38   #27

Quote:
Yes, I realised as soon as I posted that I was being sailing-boat centric, but nevertheless, a 9.5 hp motor has been mentioned, is this going to provide speeds over 12 knots in adverse conditions, ie wind-over-tide? Or the chop where a river outflow meets a tide?
https://youtu.be/eoDsV1VMloY

Some of the boats look like they are doing 15-20 knots w/ a 3hp seagull. It's possible, but you have to give up a little comfort.
Old 21-08-2021, 10:50   #28

Quote:
Sure you may need to slow down...but MPG or GPH...you still need to adjust your assumptions on fuel reserves and the math isn't hard with either...then again the rule of thumb for round trip fishing runs is 1/3 out, 1/3 back & 1/3 in reserve, so unless it gets extreme, probably not an issue in terms of having enough fuel to make it back.

Plus with an aluminum row boat, you have the backup of breaking out the oars and you can usually haul out on a beach in most cases if you can't make it in against a current.
Old 23-08-2021, 07:09   #29

Let's see, you want fuel economy....

$100,000+ for the boat. (Typical center console in the 25' to 30' range, used. New: $300K)
$400-$500 each per rod and reel. Figure you need a minimum of 4. (I have 50+)
Spectra line to spool the reel: $35-$50
Spool of Fluorocarbon: $20. You will need various strengths. Figure: $100 to start. 1 reel = 8-10 rigs.
Laser sharp hooks: $1 each. Figure you will need 10 different sized hooks, 10 each to start. $100.00
$150 - $200 per trip for bait & chum
If you are trolling, $35 to $100 per rig.
Teaser: $100 to $250 each
Lead weights: $4.50 per pound.
Stainless ball bearing swivels: $3.50 each
Ice: 60 lbs min per trip: $1/lb.
Tackle box for all the above: $50+
Fishing plyers: $20
Fishing gloves: $20
Fishing Knife: $20

And you are worried about the cost of fuel? Honestly, you need to consider a different hobby. Fishing is not an inexpensive sport. Speed is essential when you are chasing a school of fish.

With a boat that has a 6 kts cruise, your not fishing, you are wishing. And that is why THT subscribers are dismissing your post.
Reel Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2021, 09:04   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reel Love View Post
Let's see, you want fuel economy....

$100,000+ for the boat. (Typical center console in the 25' to 30' range, used. New: $300K)
$400-$500 each per rod and reel. Figure you need a minimum of 4. (I have 50+)
Spectra line to spool the reel: $35-$50
Spool of Fluorocarbon: $20. You will need various strengths. Figure: $100 to start. 1 reel = 8-10 rigs.
Laser sharp hooks: $1 each. Figure you will need 10 different sized hooks, 10 each to start. $100.00
$150 - $200 per trip for bait & chum
If you are trolling, $35 to $100 per rig.
Teaser: $100 to $250 each
Lead weights: $4.50 per pound.
Stainless ball bearing swivels: $3.50 each
Ice: 60 lbs min per trip: $1/lb.
Tackle box for all the above: $50+
Fishing plyers: $20
Fishing gloves: $20
Fishing Knife: $20

And you are worried about the cost of fuel? Honestly, you need to consider a different hobby. Fishing is not an inexpensive sport. Speed is essential when you are chasing a school of fish.

With a boat that has a 6 kts cruise, your not fishing, you are wishing. And that is why THT subscribers are dismissing your post.
While it's certainly possible to spend $10,000/lb of fish caught...the OP was asking about small 15ft boats, so you can trim probably 95% off your cost estimates.

PS: where are you buying ice at $1/lb? Where I'm at a 20lb bag is like $2.50 and plenty for a day on the water.

Tags
boat, fish, fishing, fuel