Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Sailor's Confessional
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2015, 19:56   #1

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham
Warning 'rant' - Don't you just love looking for crew!!

OK, you need crew because you are doing a long trip, everyone you know is working, your normal crew broke a leg etc. So you look on the crew sites and get;
1. Hi honey don't I look cute in this... Oop's didn't realize this was a dating site...
2. Mi english e not good but I good exirensed sailer, you take me on boat, I work velly hard, you get me in (Europe, Canada, USA - fill as appropriate), No, I know have papers, I hide in bilge when man comes...
3. Fun loving and easy going student wants to sail the world, no experience but own guitar, it'll be a blast man...
4. Qualified and experienced sailor (they actually are!!) min boat size 45ft, expect own suite, all expenses including air fare, free uniform you pay the bar tab if we go ashore... Well you ARE a super rich yotti aren't you
5. Qualified and experienced first mate, good knowledge of waters around Florida, total sea time 3 months... WTF! do you have ANY idea what I consider to be experienced...

So you can guess I am a LITTLE frustrated, just looking for someone who wants a bit of an adventure, doesn't freak at the idea that having a shower can be done by emptying a bucket of seawater over your head, isn't looking for a new partner, doesn't want to be a 'super-yacht' crew and doesn't think 'remote' means out of wifi range.
OK, I know I am a relic from a bygone age but what happened to good old fashioned adventure and traditional values like self reliance and seamanship.

Rant over

Feel free to add to this but don't be miffed if I don't read it! IT'S MY RANT...
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2015, 20:09   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Re: Warning 'rant' - Don't you just love loking for crew!!

Gotta kiss a lot of frogs...

I'd take a look at number 5. Everyone has to start somewhere.

And now to add some spice - Counterpoint...

"Crew needed - Need to relocate my boat 1,000 miles. Regular crew broke leg. You need 30 years of ocean going experience to qualify but must keep mouth shut on how I operate my boat. Won't pay any of your expenses and you need to pay your own food on board. You'll sleep on deck and shower in a bucket. I charge $2 anytime you use the on-board head so get used to pooping over the rail. No smoking, drinking or snorers. You will cook, clean and take all night watches. One of us is gonna have a good time."
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2015, 20:21   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Gotta kiss a lot of frogs...

I'd take a look at number 5. Everyone has to start somewhere.

And now to add some spice - Counterpoint...

"Crew needed - Need to relocate my boat 1,000 miles. Regular crew broke leg. You need 30 years of ocean going experience to qualify but must keep mouth shut on how I operate my boat. Won't pay any of your expenses and you need to pay your own food on board. You'll sleep on deck and shower in a bucket. I charge $2 anytime you use the on-board head so get used to pooping over the rail. No smoking, drinking or snorers. You will cook, clean and take all night watches. One of us is gonna have a good time."

Goes to show you that Unrealistic Expectations can be found on both sides of the issue.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2015, 20:22   #4

Oh yes, I cut my cruising teeth shipping boats across the north sea each season because people wives didn't want to do the sea crossing, never sailed with with 'captain Bligh' but met a few on the bank. I do know what it looks like from the other side. The balance as always is in the middle. (I did say it was a rant... Ahh but I also said I wouldn't reply...)
Old 23-02-2015, 20:46   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland stockham View Post
Oh yes, I cut my cruising teeth shipping boats across the north sea each season because people wives didn't want to do the sea crossing, never sailed with with 'captain Bligh' but met a few on the bank. I do know what it looks like from the other side. The balance as always is in the middle. (I did say it was a rant... Ahh but I also said I wouldn't reply...)
Hey, as far as rants go I rate yours an 8.

Good job - LOL...

You forgot...

6. "PsychicWindDancerChick38 - Decided to change my life. Looking for passage on a sailboat as crew. I've never sailed before but I know it's what I want. Recently divorced vegan, into mystics, tarot and voodoo. Leaving my 3 <10 y/o kids with grandma. No meat eaters, drinkers or smokers. Unless it's pot, then that's OK."
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2015, 20:53   #6

Quote:
OK, you need crew because you are doing a long trip, everyone you know is working, your normal crew broke a leg etc. So you look on the crew sites and get;
1. Hi honey don't I look cute in this... Oop's didn't realize this was a dating site...
2. Mi english e not good but I good exirensed sailer, you take me on boat, I work velly hard, you get me in (Europe, Canada, USA - fill as appropriate), No, I know have papers, I hide in bilge when man comes...
3. Fun loving and easy going student wants to sail the world, no experience but own guitar, it'll be a blast man...
4. Qualified and experienced sailor (they actually are!!) min boat size 45ft, expect own suite, all expenses including air fare, free uniform you pay the bar tab if we go ashore... Well you ARE a super rich yotti aren't you
5. Qualified and experienced first mate, good knowledge of waters around Florida, total sea time 3 months... WTF! do you have ANY idea what I consider to be experienced...

So you can guess I am a LITTLE frustrated, just looking for someone who wants a bit of an adventure, doesn't freak at the idea that having a shower can be done by emptying a bucket of seawater over your head, isn't looking for a new partner, doesn't want to be a 'super-yacht' crew and doesn't think 'remote' means out of wifi range.
OK, I know I am a relic from a bygone age but what happened to good old fashioned adventure and traditional values like self reliance and seamanship.

Rant over

Feel free to add to this but don't be miffed if I don't read it! IT'S MY RANT...
If you're getting those responses
I'd be looking at how you have phrased you adds
Most folks looking to crew ARE in it for Adventure and the Joy
Of Sailing and most will pay for their own food and airfare,no problem
What you see a lot of is crew wanted adds for a "Contribution per Day"
Far in excess of a reasonable food and fuel bill. In other words
Pay me so I can live my lifestyle and be subsidized by my workers"
Time2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2015, 20:55   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Hey, as far as rants go I rate yours an 8.

Good job - LOL...

You forgot...

6. "PsychicWindDancerChick38 - Decided to change my life. Looking for passage on a sailboat as crew. I've never sailed before but I know it's what I want. Recently divorced vegan, into mystics, tarot and voodoo. Leaving my 3 <10 y/o kids with grandma. No meat eaters, drinkers or smokers. Unless it's pot, then that's OK."
See 1. (just the cookie version)
Old 23-02-2015, 21:12   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Go View Post
If you're getting those responses
I'd be looking at how you have phrased you adds
Most folks looking to crew ARE in it for Adventure and the Joy
Of Sailing and most will pay for their own food and airfare,no problem
What you see a lot of is crew wanted adds for a "Contribution per Day"
Far in excess of a reasonable food and fuel bill. In other words
Pay me so I can live my lifestyle and be subsidized by my workers"
Thanks all, a good rant is one that makes you feel better! I do

But, never asked for cash
Always offered to pay on-board expenses
Only asked for experience needed - nobody enjoys or is safe on a trip if totally 'out of their depth' and I would not be a responsible skipper if I took them on.
Never shout at crew or blame them when they brake stuff, get it wrong or don't know how to do it (do encourage them to ask if not sure).
Do expect people to pay own transport to the boat unless I am doing a commercial delivery for someone else.
Do expect people to pay there own shore-side expenses (but they can eat on board when in dock)
Do encourage the crew to be involved and make it 'our trip' not mine
Try to live up to the idea that "strangers may step onto my boat but only friends step off"

Maybe I am just on the wrong crew sites, looked at dedicated ones not forums so far - anyone got any recommendations?
Old 23-02-2015, 22:38   #9

I'm confused, you expect a model employee with experience who will pay their own way to and from and work for nothing while chipping in for expenses.

If you find one great but I wouldn't hold my breath.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2015, 23:19   #10
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"

You need a Kiwi. Try crew.org.nz not too many fruit loops or prima donnas on there and has readership scattered all over the world.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2015, 23:31   #11

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTies View Post
You need a Kiwi.
Already got one but thanks all the same.

The big player in the find a crew business ( wink wink) now has three catagories

'Looking for crew'

'Wanting to crew'

and

'Wanting to screw'

Used to be chockas with hot young russian sheilas living in Brazil... don't ask me how I know this
Old 23-02-2015, 23:33   #12

Boat: Traditional 30

Quote:

Rant over

One word... "back packers"... (ok thats two- or is it meant to be one word- i dont know or care)

They are usually ..
Highly educated and on a gap year or two
Highly Adventurous
Willing to live on staples for extended periods
Flexible with timelines
Willing to go without showers
Willing to live in sub-human accommodation
Have a good understanding on foreign cultures
Very social.

If you can get a couple with some sailing basics, your halfway there!
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2015, 23:37   #13

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper View Post

If you can get a couple
Never ever ever sign on 'couples'.... when push turns to shove and its still a few months to the next port the buggers will gang up on you.... once again... don't ask me how I know this....
Old 23-02-2015, 23:50   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
I'm confused, you expect a model employee with experience who will pay their own way to and from and work for nothing while chipping in for expenses.

If you find one great but I wouldn't hold my breath.
I don't understand this attitude. If I was looking for a paid employee (lots of experience of that) I would go to a professional crew site, look for qualifications references etc, hold interviews and pay the going rate.

If I am inviting someone to share a voyage/expedition for the fun and adventure then I am looking for someone who shares my interests and wants to do similar things. I also want them to enjoy it so want to make sure they are capable of doing what we plan (you would not ask your granny to come on a 20 mile hike would you?) We are both on holiday and I expect to treat them as a friend who is sharing the holiday. If I was proposing a mountain expedition potential expedition member would not expect me to pay them or treat them as Sherpas. Why should we treat guests on board as paid hand just because we have only just met them? It's my boat so I expect to pay for the boat and treat them as a guest which includes feeding them. But if you invite someone to your home for a holiday do you normally expect to pay their petrol to get there and buy all the drinks if you go to the pub? Basically that is what I am doing, inviting someone to come and stay with me and enjoy a sail. If you think of sailing to Hawaii as work don't come with me, get a job with a commercial crew, expect to be qualified and do it as a job.
I have done commercial work at sea, I know the difference.
Old 24-02-2015, 03:36   #15

Face it, you are looking for an employee, not a guest.
You need somebody to help you with the boat, so don't expect people to jump in joy of having the night shift and a bunk in exchange for shitty food for a month or so, and on top of that having to pay for other expenses such as return flight.

You should, in my opinion, make clear what you offer and what you expect. Few things are more unpleasant than a tense trip on a boat.
dpons is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew