Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Sailor's Confessional
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2010, 16:00   #16

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Just glad you are OK.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 16:34   #17
Captain

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via MSN to Andy R Send a message via Skype™ to Andy R
DOOH!

Glad your OK and the damage was limited!
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 18:47   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Rick, did you ever work for me? I remember telling a guy that used to work for me that if I ever caught him with a screw driver in his hand again I would break his fingers. Similar smoke, but from inside a main frame computer.
OK, Totally off topic but since there's an opening... At a company I worked for there was a major computer outage. One of the Veeps went on a rampage about the person responsible was going to be given a "walk in the park" and that they would be found. So a crew examined the video records for the area at the time of the outage and what do they see? Said VP, on a tour of the area, is toggling the power switch thinking that it opens the cabinet. Of course there were no consequences but I bet he did a bit of this:

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 19:49   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViribusUnitis View Post
Just make sure you clean the heck out of the engine compartment before you try to start anything. Very few things kill an engine as effectively as dry chemical fire extingusher dust.

****DO NOT**** let water anywhere near this dust vaccume only. I set fire to my truck doing body work 2 years ago, WHAT a mess , extinguisher dust everywhere. dont dont DONT get it wet.
justlearnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 20:00   #20

I once closed the circuit across a row of batts while working on 120 volts of DC on an emergency lighting unit. This was around 70 volts worth of batts. It took completly off the loop on my bosses adjustable wrench and I saw nothing but stars for a half hour. On a side note I replaced those batts 12 years later ands was LOTS more careful. <G>
justlearnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 19:54   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
So happy no one got hurt, Rick. Just a little pride and thanks for sharing. Based on the comments I expected a lot worse. I think you got off lucky. I have seen wet cells explode. Good decision to vacate the area once the smoke started.

Hey - at least there was a minute chance of her sinking, sittin' in the driveway an all....
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 20:12   #22

Boat: Downeast 32
An investment in knowldge always pays the best intrest. (Ben Franklin)
And yes I have fried a tool or 2 crossing wires. But we do learn. I am wiring in my solar panels and inverter so disconnect the battries and shore power and cover the panels. No blue smoke needed.
agrainofsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2010, 07:06   #23
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
What burnt marked in red.

Sorry, thought it was 6 ga but it's 8 ga. Hardest part will be replacing what's burnt inside the main harness. Standby. I suspect the circuit breaker, cranking motor relay & ACR are probably toast. Otherwise there's nothing else I can see wrong other than the positive terminal melted off the starter battery.
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2010, 10:30   #24

Boat: 1978 Newport 30 Mk II
Excellent lesson. I did the same sort of thing with a running car motor and pulled off the positive cable while it was running and I fried the alternator.

I will remember your lesson while I am tinkering in the engine compartment of the boat.

Glad you are safe!
wildebeest3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2010, 10:36   #25

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
You know, when I read the title of the post this is not the discussion I thought I'd see.....
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2010, 03:20   #26
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thnx for all the kind words folks. I did get messed up a little bit from jumping off the back of the boat. My back has been killing me all week. Pulled a muscle or something. Had to book off a few days work. If it doesn't get an better over the weekend I'll have to go see the family saw bones.

The hardest part now is I'm starting to second guess myself in everything I do!
Old 15-05-2010, 12:44   #27

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Glad you're ok. I still have a little notch out of my wedding ring and a scar around that finger because I did a stunt like that with a vice grips and a battery in a tight space on a West Wight Potter 19 one time.
Yes, double checking everything is my mantra now. I'm becoming more forgetful as each year goes by.
regards,
Old 15-05-2010, 14:08   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Sorry to hear that you hurt yourself Rick. I hope your back is better soon.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2010, 11:11   #29
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

My back kept bothering me and I broke out in a rash. Went to see the Doc and low and behold I got shingles (not the roofing variety either). Dammit! Now I can't even work on the boat to get it ready for sale. Where I've got the shingles it makes it very hard to sit let along skrunch myself up into a lil' ball and work in the bilge.

We had a nice couple aboard today and they seem very very interested if I can get it back in running order. Time to call the mobile mechanic!
Old 22-05-2010, 16:26   #30

I have a battery disconnect switch between my batteries and my starter. If my solenoid should stick, or a wrench go to ground I am a click away from de-energizing the system. The switch can be reached without going into the eng room. I have 2 engs and 2 switches. The switches are 4 position, batt 1or batt 2 or both or off. I have them wired so in both mode the 2 batteries are combined to provide a "jump start" to either eng. I have no fuse in the start circuit, which is accepable. If a switch would have been available for Rick to click off , it would have been just so easy to prevent this.