Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Sailor's Confessional
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-11-2020, 13:54   #1

Me and my dad bought our first boat, here's our second attempt at trying to sail it

A couple of weeks I shared a video with you guys about me and my dad buying our first boat together, and trying to sail it for the first time. Although it was a total disaster, the encouraging responses and tips that we got back has inspired us to keep going! And here is our second video!

[/QUOTE]
Apocalyptism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2020, 15:15   #2

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17
Re: Me and my dad bought our first boat, here's our second attempt at trying to sail

Your getting it, good on ya��

Fair winds
Pegu Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2020, 15:20   #3

Me and my dad bought our first boat, here's our second attempt at trying to sail it

Great video! You're obviously enjoying yourselves. A Hurley 20 will NEVER capsize from wind action alone. It would take a huge breaking wave to do that, so relax. You might try learning to heave-to, and you might try reefing the main before the jib next time.
Yellowtulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2020, 16:06   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Me and my dad bought our first boat, here's our second attempt at trying to sail

Next time, if you want to receive something from another sailboat, heave to and stop the boat, or at least luff up and slow the boat way down. It will make it much easier. The heel angle will lessen quite soon with her luffed up. Then only fall off the wind a tiny bit, enough to keep steerage way, don't let the speed get up. You can also heave to to work on things. You should luff up to raise the main, and get the wrinkles out of the luff. You can ease the halyard and roll the sail on the boom to reef it. The sail may have some marks on the luff to indicate the better spots for reefing. The boat should not be sailing on her ear all the time, she will make too much leeway. More upright is better.

One strategy you can look at is to use only the headsail one time, and figure out what you can make the boat do; and another, just the main. You've a way to go to get the two to work together well. But any landing you walk away from is a good one. Oh, and stow the fenders below while you're out sailing, and put them on for docking.

Ann
Old 19-11-2020, 16:44   #5
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
....... The boat should not be sailing on her ear all the time, she will make too much leeway. More upright is better.

And in my very humble opinion, enough heel to keep the leeward keel about vertical or a little less.

Mind you, I'm not the cleverest fellow around so I might be wrong.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2020, 16:57   #6

Boat: C&C 24

I love this man, those two videos just made my day! haha trust me, find a friend who knows sailing and take them out... but then the videos won't be as good
ecormier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2020, 19:53   #7

Great video. I laughed so many times. You guys are having a great time with a great boat. Memories will last you a lifetime. Continue to enjoy it!

Lots of good advice for your next time out.

I would add that another thing you may want to practice is a man-overboard. If you’re going to be leaving the cockpit that often and the boat is going to immediately be changing its heel angle like in this video, it shouldn’t be a surprise when you take a swim. Your dad needs to be able to get back to you if that happens.

Oh, and the most important question is asked several times - “how fast are we going?” Best question to ask!

I look forward to your next post/video.
leboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2020, 04:18   #8

Another couple of thoughts on having seen it again. When you unfurl the jib, don't let the wind rip it out quickly. Control it with the furling line. That's probably how you got the bird's nest in the furling drum last time.
I tend to think that the way you both sit right at the transom is making it difficult to control the boat, especially when tacking. The helmsman might be better off sitting forward of the tiller. I know it's a small cockpit, but you might find it easier. And once you have more knowledge of reefing and balancing your sail area, you won't need to keep the sheets constantly in hand.
Once again, a great video and fair winds to you.
Yellowtulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2020, 05:24   #9

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 31

Thanks for the video, you’ll learn fast!
Old 20-11-2020, 10:19   #10

I commend your spirit of "learning by trying", but 10 minutes watching a couple of videos on youtube to learn the basics would be time well spent...
FabioC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2020, 10:32   #11

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Wasn't it all made in jest? I hope so.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2020, 15:03   #12

Boat: S&S 36

Hi. great video and good on you, enjoy. Lots of good advise you got. I would add, try hoisting the main while pointing directly into the wind, you will find it mutch easier. Memories are forever, keep it up.
Nico Domino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2020, 19:24   #13

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocalyptism View Post
A couple of weeks I shared a video with you guys about me and my dad buying our first boat together, and trying to sail it for the first time. Although it was a total disaster, the encouraging responses and tips that we got back has inspired us to keep going! And here is our second video!

Those last few tacks would have made an America’s Cup crew green with envy.

And yes, definitely time for a cup of tea.
Old 20-11-2020, 21:32   #14

Boat: Leopard 45

Reminds me so much of myself the first few times out. I had some passengers asking to put them ashore!
When something goes wrong you hopefully learn from it. You might want to experiment with the roller furler while you are at the dock in light to no winds.
cheers, and keep on gaining experience.
jim
jim King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2020, 15:10   #15

Boat: Farr 1020

Sorry, but as someone who spent a lot of time in sail training, I have a series of tips straight away, from experience as well as the training manuals.
If it were me, I would NOT wind the mainsail around the boom to stow it. If it were already done that way, I would unwind it first, then hoist whilst the boat is pointing into the wind. Far easier to just hoist, than have to unwind and hoist together.
Also, release the clip on the gooseneck that holds the boom in place, allow it to slide up the track before hoisting. Get the sail fully hoisted then heave down on the boom to tension the sail. The tension in that front part of the sail (Luff) is very important, the boom is on a slide on the mast so you can get that tension after hoisting.

Where about in Pommyland are you based? I would seek out an RYA training centre nearby and go for at least 1 lesson, it will save a lot of angst, dropped fenders and spilt tea.

Enjoy yourselves

Roger
Djarraluda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail