Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Sailor's Confessional
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2016, 23:38   #1

Boat: Boatless
Loggerhead Marina Stuart Matthew?

Anyone "on the ground" at Loggerhead Marina in Stuart?

Flying in Sunday. Not sure what to expect. Slip A35, Ohana :-(

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

"Take it all in, it's as big as it seems, count all your blessings, remember your dreams" JB
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 03:47   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015
Re: Loggerhead Marina Stuart Matthew?

What did you discover?

I looked hard at Loggerhead last year and visted several times as I planned to ship my 349 Jeanneau there from Wisconsin. I also looked at Sunset Bay around the corner. Issue I found with Loogerhead was they are in conflict with the condo association there on site. I liked the atmosphere but the amenities were lacking somewhat. Also, it is noisy with the traffic and trains.

Issue with Sunset Bay is they are located on the inland side of a heavily used highway and RR bridge. The RR traffic is scheduled to increAse ten fold as All Aboard Florida begins, making multiple trestle openings daily. the marina and all watrefront property inland of that bridge will suffer.

I opted for the West coast of FL.
RKsailsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 07:40   #3

Everything was fine with regards to Hurricane Matthew and Loggerhead. We kept Ohana there for a few months and enjoyed it. We paid a little extra to be on the north docks close to the pool etc. The restaurant there is fantastic in spite of its small size. The pool and hot tub a treat. As far as noise goes never really bothered us. The staff is VERY attentive and professional. Another benefit was using Loggerheads "reciprocity" when going to other Loggerhead marinas. We spent some time at the Jupiter facility and basically paid nothing.

So two thumbs up for those guys. Also closer to the Bahamas and points south without being right in the thick of Lauderdale (where we are now) or Miami.

"Take it all in, it's as big as it seems, count all your blessings, remember your dreams" JB
Old 06-12-2016, 05:38   #4

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015
Loggerhead Marina Stuart Matthew?

Thx for sharing your experience. How did you find the St Lucie river pass into the ocean? Reports show it to be tough at times.

Glad to hear the Loggerhead crew is doing well. If i were on that coast, i would slip there. Loggerhead sites in Hollywood, Miami look good too. Just too far to motor to raise sails.

Ft Lauderdale has some great places to stay. Are you on the New River or one of the anchorages?

Matthew apparently did lasting damage to parts of the Bahamas.
RKsailsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 06:33   #5

We're behind a private home in Pompano. Lauderdale has gotten very crowded and expensive compared to "back in the day". I blame GPS :-)

St. Lucie is an easy inlet. Pay a wee bit of attention around where the ICW meets the river but you'll be fine. I like the area as well. Lots of water and less people relatively speaking.

Tags
head