Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Sailor's Confessional
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-09-2012, 07:12   #31

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft
Re: Full Moon,the Crazies Are Coming Out

My wife works in the hospital and it does seem to rain babies more often that not around a full moon.

The harvest moon is tomorrow night on my side of the world, as equinox has just passed. It is an early riser, close on the heels of sunset, and is supposed to give me some more light to work with at harvest. My corn is not quite ready to harvest so the lunacy of combining will have to wait another few days. I have lights

The moon has significant impacts on the oceans, stands to reason it could have some effects on humans and other animals, and plants/crops, however subtle.
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2012, 07:18   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Since you're boating folks I'm sure it doesn't need explaining that the moon is always full. The tides are actually not caused in any way by the moon appearing to be full although the appearance is a side affect of the occurrence. The tides are a result of the differential in gravitational pull from one side of the earth to the other. The gravitational pull of the sun is greater then the moon's but since the sun is so much farther from the earth the differential from on side to the other is less however when the moon and sun line up the pull is magnified and we get spring tides.

I'm sure I don't need to point out that this happens at the new moon as well as the full moon. The difference is that in one case we see the light of the sun reflecting back. So, for extra points, perhaps someone can explain why the new moon doesn't get cited as a cause of trouble in the same way that the full moon does?

My theory is that any slight affect of the full moon is attributable to it being brighter on those nights though I think it is largely attributable to the mythological presence of the moon in our lives and a tendency to built "truth" upon anecdotal evidence. Seen any sasquatch lately?

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2012, 07:26   #33

Location: Salish Sea in summer/Puerto Vallarta in the winter - no boat just sun and beaches!
Boat: Benford 34 Junk Schooner

I wrote a chapter about this a long time ago in a scientific monograph published by my then employer, Prof. Rudolf Moos of Stanford. The Lunacy theory goes back at least into the 19th century, as many doctors and staff in insane asylums believed that their patients acted out more during periods of full moon than otherwise. One sharp observer finally noted that if they were to put curtains on the windows, maybe the bright light of the full moon would not be so disturbing!

There are also interesting beliefs concerning climate in general or specific characteristics such as humidity, air pressure, and changes in air pressure. One of the early 20th century writers on this topic was a Yale professor who, wags said, wrote one of his seminal books while a hurricane bore down on New Haven, thereby stimulating his productivity via the falling barometric pressure.

If you believe any of this, I want to sell you a certain bridge, or maybe a boat with just two small holes in the hull ...
PaulSommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2012, 14:34   #34

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft

Unfortunately the general population does not use empirical evidence to inform their spontaneous behavior. Beliefs have changed the face of the earth, and although the beliefs were not peer reviewed, how many millions died in the crusades, WWII, Vietnam, ad infinitum throughout history?

Can you really seperate the belief part from the phenomena? Doesn't the whole premise of the lunacy theory sort of infer our interaction with the moon? I mean, we're not rocks. Do you really think that environmental phenomena have no effect on our happiness, productivity, etc? Have you looked at the latest research on serotonin levels and lunar phase?

With as much of my life guided by science as it is, I still find the hubris of some modern scientists comical. Like we've really got it all figured out
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2012, 16:04   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
Since you're boating folks I'm sure it doesn't need explaining that the moon is always full. The tides are actually not caused in any way by the moon appearing to be full although the appearance is a side affect of the occurrence. The tides are a result of the differential in gravitational pull from one side of the earth to the other. The gravitational pull of the sun is greater then the moon's but since the sun is so much farther from the earth the differential from on side to the other is less however when the moon and sun line up the pull is magnified and we get spring tides.

I'm sure I don't need to point out that this happens at the new moon as well as the full moon. The difference is that in one case we see the light of the sun reflecting back. So, for extra points, perhaps someone can explain why the new moon doesn't get cited as a cause of trouble in the same way that the full moon does?

My theory is that any slight affect of the full moon is attributable to it being brighter on those nights though I think it is largely attributable to the mythological presence of the moon in our lives and a tendency to built "truth" upon anecdotal evidence. Seen any sasquatch lately?
might have something to do with binge drinking and the taking of abnormal quantaties of hulluciogenic drugs in some sections of the population during the full moon,with the ensuing mayhem
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2012, 17:02   #36

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Aristotle knew about it thousands of years ago. He thought it might be gravity affects but I theory it could also be electromagnetic. In any case its not global warming or modern drugs.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2012, 17:08   #37
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulSommers View Post
I wrote a chapter about this a long time ago in a scientific monograph published by my then employer, Prof. Rudolf Moos of Stanford. The Lunacy theory goes back at least into the 19th century, as many doctors and staff in insane asylums believed that their patients acted out more during periods of full moon than otherwise. One sharp observer finally noted that if they were to put curtains on the windows, maybe the bright light of the full moon would not be so disturbing!
IIRC, one of the more rational explanations for the full moon affecting behaviour was that historically (pre-electricity) that the full moon simply being a lightsource was useful (if not often essential!) for folks getting up to no good - otherwise could not see hand in front of face.

Lots of dogs barking during a full moon? lots more folks creeping around in the dark..........likely a combination of a few things like that, neatly packaged under the "Full Moon" effect banner (folks like simple explanations for stuff - doesn't have to be true to satisfy the need to fill in the blanks).

The answer is out there!.........but it's usually quite dull
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2012, 17:53   #38

Boat: 22' Westerly Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post

The answer is out there!.........
Yep...

Lycanthropy!

Old 28-09-2012, 18:10   #39

Boat: Haida 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
August 31st of this year was a blue moon - and coincidentally (?) the date on which I got remarried!

Brad
See even you must be a Lunatic........Just kidding, Congrats..Michael..
rubyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2012, 22:57   #40
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post

I'm sure I don't need to point out that this happens at the new moon as well as the full moon. The difference is that in one case we see the light of the sun reflecting back. So, for extra points, perhaps someone can explain why the new moon doesn't get cited as a cause of trouble in the same way that the full moon does?.............
My dearest Hummingway,

Please allow me to claim the extra points by explaining to you why it is the full moon and not the new moon that causes such occurrences. It is all to do with the moonbeams rather than the moon itself (mass, position etc). As you know, the full moon bathes the earth in moonbeams and quite simply, the new moon doesn't.

While the actual quality in the moonlight that causes the problems remains hidden from the world of science, there are some generalised theories (and observations that cannot be challenged).

It is not the visible part of the moonlight spectrum that affects us as the effect is just as (or almost as) strong when there is significant cloud cover or rain or whatever so it must be some other aspect of the moonbeam that causes the "crazies". I might add though, sleeping in the open (or near a window) while moonbeams hit your face is not recommended.

Before anyone suggests that moonbeams are just reflected sunlight, please think again. Moonbeams are reflected off moon rocks, moon dust and the like. This alters them in a way that is yet unclear to moonlight scientists although it is hoped that we will understand this much better when the mainstream science world releases some of the already gathered moon rocks to us for detailed study and analysis. It is clear that some of the sunlight is altered into another form of radiation upon reflection that simply passes through most objects although is seemly absorbed (and not re-radiated) in our brain.

Put another way, in the way that sunlight causes sunburn and skin cancer (as well as beneficial Vit. D); the same sunlight reflected off the moon's surface causes "crazies", at least it does in humans. There is much more moonlight during a full moon compared to other moon phases but of course, there is always some moonlight on any night which accounts for the fact there always some crazies about on any given day.

Why the effect does not occur during daylight hours on earth is not yet understood and this remains an exciting area of research to this present day.

I look forward to receiving the extra points promised.

Yours in moonlight research,
Skipper of Blue Moon II.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2012, 04:13   #41

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Assuming wotname Is right, we now have the reason for all the crazies that seem be on these forums

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2012, 04:24   #42
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Morgan 321 - 32'

Whatever is causing it - it sure makes a difference. Years ago, I owned a bar/restaurant and during full moon, it was weirder than normal. I have noticed the effect starts a few days before and lasts for a few days after the actual full moon night. I now work in a doctor's office and sometimes during full moon it seems like a psych ward! Cops will tell you the same thing - the weirdos come out.
sloopygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2012, 04:39   #43
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheoah View Post
My wife works in the hospital and it does seem to rain babies more often that not around a full moon ...
Nobody notices when there's a full moon and nothing happens — you only notice when something does happen.
In other words, heads I win, tails don't count.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2012, 06:28   #44
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Nobody notices when there's a full moon and nothing happens — you only notice when something does happen.
Exactly. Our brains do love a pattern. Even when there isn't one.

Is saw a car number plate today which was exactly not my grandmothers birthday. I mean, just what are the chances of that?? Can't be coincidence...
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2012, 06:51   #45
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
One explanation but not supported by the facts.
Never been a full moon without crazy stuff happening.
When nothing happens, it is new moon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Exactly. Our brains do love a pattern. Even when there isn't one......
Even a simple examination will show the pattern here.
Crazies out - full moon out - lots of moonlight (moonbeams)
Far fewer Crazies - new moon - not much moonlight (moonbeams)

While this might seem to be an amazing coincidence to cruisers, it is pretty routine science for moonlight researchers.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote