Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Sailor's Confessional
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 20-09-2010, 14:18   #1

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
'Born on Date' of Your First Boating Sin !

A past member just returned to the fourm after a long abcence, stating a past boating sin as his reason..Members wishing him happy birthday with his return ..gave me this Idea for a thread...Sort of like Charlie Cobras " Biggest bonehead move" thread but more geared toward your very first boating sin...not necessarily your biggest one.

My first boating sin of recollection or my " Born on date" would have to be canoeing with a first time date down Campbell Creek in Anchorage Alaska..It was going to be one of those WOW! factor romantic impress the girl kind of thing...So I borrowed my roommate Coleman canoe..and had him drop us "UP Creek" planning on a 3 hour float wine, cheese and song the whole 9 yards..

We just get started and I soon realize I picked the wrong section of creek to float #1 and it was so brushy I ended up pulling the canoe through it...Now this is early fall in Alaska and not warm by any means...several bailouts and pulls and loads back into the canoe on my part being the swashbucking hero went with out a hitch...until our laughter about the whole thing got us into a giggle fest...you know the drill...those times when thing get so goofy that everything become funny...no there was no drugs involved...we were just having a blast...well just then I didn't quite load up a smoothly as all the other supper hero times and over we go.

Now most girls would have lost it right there...not this one...she was game for anything and fun to be with...we were laughing so hard she peed her pants or was that me?

Well soaking wet from head to toe we pulled the canoe up on the bank and started to look for some place to duck in and get warm... This was Sunday evening and in a rural area of town...not allot around...fortunately we found a very small post office that although unmanned and closed the box portion of it was open with some heat on and a phone inside.

We had no clew as to where we were so giving directions to my roommate for pick-up was difficult..fortunately it happened early enough in the trip that he wasn't already waiting for us at the other end..this was before cell phones.

By the time we were located and picked up we were both shivering madly you could see our breath in the night chill and still laughing...what a trooper.

She was not the girl I ended up marrying but definitely one of the ones that easily could have been...It was definitely a major boating sin and my "Born on date" for sure...Im sure it was hers as well...it still brings a smile and good feeling every time I think about it I hope it does for her as well.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote