Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2023, 00:30   #151

Boat: Jeanneau 349
Re: West Marine Restructures Debt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlynker View Post
A customer bad experience is when I get to the register, the District Manager (w/ Store Msnager close by) at the register & the $89 solar fan (from the shelf marked $89) rings up $239.

Threatening police action for trying to re-establish contact with a friendly employee based on previous precedence, is malicious. Being police, it's also militant. Corp use of military is fascism. That's the expressed culture.

A culture of disdain doesn't bring home the bacon. L Catt, I'll never wear berkenstocks.
And then there’s their story and the truth is somewhere in the middle. Doesn’t sound like a good experience but there’s likely more to it than that.
Letterkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2023, 04:12   #152

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letterkenny View Post
And then there’s their story and the truth is somewhere in the middle. Doesn’t sound like a good experience but there’s likely more to it than that.
False equivalence, I assure you.

But why defend them? Vocally? Are you an employee? Again, who do write des for.
jlynker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2023, 04:48   #153

Quote:
False equivalence, I assure you.

But why defend them? Vocally? Are you an employee? Again, who do write des for.
...deals for (sorry, can't edit post).

There are conflict resolution techniques. Why would West Marine not use them for a customer who spends thousands per year.

Threat? Theft?

Sending a gift to an employee with previous precedent of friendly personal interchange. Deserves police action?

What is your threshold for threatening police?

Btw, if you believe that a Corp owns the relationships between their employees & customers, then in this case there definitely is more to this story - not good for WM, said employee & other customers. So...
Old 12-11-2023, 07:20   #154

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

As LetterKenny points out, there is the other side, and more to this than we've been told.
I can't imagine any store where I spend a mere thousands per year would even know my name, let alone throw me out.
I can't imagine the police responding to a complaint along the lines of "this customer sent a friend of his who is an employee of ours a present, and I want him charged." Really? I really am not sure how WM would even find out -- if a friend sends me a present, I don't usually run into work the next day and tell me boss. In this country, it's not how big is the complainer (well, OK, a bit), but what is the crime. None here.
I can't imagine someone being so mad at you for sending a present that they not only ban you from the store you are in, but post your picture in all surrounding stores to make sure you are truly banned.
Your story, as presented, sounds awful. But it sounds awful beyond reason -- WAY beyond reason. There is FAR more to this than WM deciding you are the customer of the month to hate on.

Not only does no one actually believe you, but most people think you are an idiot who probably deserves whatever actual action is being taken.
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2023, 07:32   #155

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingharry View Post
As LetterKenny points out, there is the other side, and more to this than we've been told.
I can't imagine any store where I spend a mere thousands per year would even know my name, let alone throw me out.
I can't imagine the police responding to a complaint along the lines of "this customer sent a friend of his who is an employee of ours a present, and I want him charged." Really? I really am not sure how WM would even find out -- if a friend sends me a present, I don't usually run into work the next day and tell me boss. In this country, it's not how big is the complainer (well, OK, a bit), but what is the crime. None here.
I can't imagine someone being so mad at you for sending a present that they not only ban you from the store you are in, but post your picture in all surrounding stores to make sure you are truly banned.
Your story, as presented, sounds awful. But it sounds awful beyond reason -- WAY beyond reason. There is FAR more to this than WM deciding you are the customer of the month to hate on.

Not only does no one actually believe you, but most people think you are an idiot who probably deserves whatever actual action is being taken.
I've been shopping that store 15 years. Knew many of the employees who worked, many who have boats in the marina & are part of the community, personal.

Of course the complaining customer is never to be believes. Corps arw always perfect.
Old 12-11-2023, 07:36   #156

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
l

Threatening police action for trying to re-establish contact with a friendly employee based on previous precedence, is malicious.
How old was she? How old are you? How did you try to re-establish contact and what was her response? Did you try more than once?
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2023, 07:45   #157

I'll make CruiserForum community happy by not existing here.
Old 12-11-2023, 08:23   #158

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

Quote:
No, that's not necessary. You are welcome here, as I'm sure you have much useful information to share. (Actually, since I'm not a moderator or any other person in authority, but just the guy on the next bar stool, I probably can't say that -- but I can say that I welcome you to stay!)

But we tire of the outlandish story of the evil, vicious West. Most (many?, some?) of us are quite aware of how awful they are in the realm of customer service and product value, but very few of us have ever had or seen an experience that comes even remotely close to the story you tell -- at West or any other company. Companies threatening legal action against innocent customers "just because" is something that we can't get our heads around.
But, please, do stick around. If you've been spending thousands a year over a decade or two, that means that you not only have a boat, but you do your own work -- both of which means that you have useful experiences to share.
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2023, 08:27   #159

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
I’m with Harry on that.

I don’t know you. I was just trying to make a point that if it was a woman, there’s a pretty good reason that they stood up for her.

But I’m just guessing. Who knows.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2023, 09:52   #160

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingharry View Post
But we tire of the outlandish story of the evil, vicious West. Most (many?, some?) of us are quite aware of how awful they are in the realm of customer service and product value, but very few of us have ever had or seen an experience that comes even remotely close to the story you tell

Tags
marine