Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-11-2008, 10:37   #1

Return of Commercial Sail Fisheries Begins ?

Unlikely as the title may be, the Philippine government is hosting a 2-week training: Safety Use of Sailboat Fishing as Livelihood Economic Measures.

In BC, Canada, a large percentage of commercial fishing vessels remain idle at the docks as their owners lease their fishing licenses to other fishermen, making less money but with no fuel costs. In Spain fishermen went on strike to protest high fuel costs last summer.

The Philippines points out that sail use is economical, environmentally friendly, and an alternative propulsion in case of engine failure.

Philippine Information Agency

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2008, 10:50   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Their small sailing craft are lovely, and fast..........i2f

imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2008, 10:53   #3

All that's old is new again. Here's a quote from Joseph Conrad's Mirror of the Sea that I have cherished for years:

No doubt a fair amount of climbing up iron ladders can be achieved by an active man in a ship's engine room, but I remember moments when even to my supple limbs and pride of nimbleness the sailing ship's machinery seemed to reach up to the very stars.

For machinery it is, doing its work in perfect silence and with a motionless grace, that seems to hide a capricious and not always governable power, taking nothing away from the material stores of the earth. Not for it the unerring precision of steel moved by white steam and living by red fire and fed with black coal. The other seems to draw its strength from the very soul of the world, its formidable ally, held to obedience by the frailest bonds, like a fierce ghost captured in a snare of something even finer than spun silk. For what is the array of the strongest ropes, the tallest spars and the stoutest canvas against the mighty breath of the Infinite, but thistle stalks, cobwebs, and gossamer?
Old 21-11-2008, 10:58   #4
Eternal Member

The man surely knows how to use an adjective!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, or 2
Old 21-11-2008, 12:30   #5

And consider THIS...English was his THIRD language after Polish and French!!!
Old 21-11-2008, 12:32   #6

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
Their small sailing craft are lovely, and fast..........i2f

Nice i2f thanks for posting that..where exactly was that taken and how did you hitch the ride?..were you driving?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsalt_1942 View Post
All that's old is new again. Here's a quote from Joseph Conrad's Mirror of the Sea that I have cherished for years:

No doubt a fair amount of climbing up iron ladders can be achieved by an active man in a ship's engine room, but I remember moments when even to my supple limbs and pride of nimbleness the sailing ship's machinery seemed to reach up to the very stars.

For machinery it is, doing its work in perfect silence and with a motionless grace, that seems to hide a capricious and not always governable power, taking nothing away from the material stores of the earth. Not for it the unerring precision of steel moved by white steam and living by red fire and fed with black coal. The other seems to draw its strength from the very soul of the world, its formidable ally, held to obedience by the frailest bonds, like a fierce ghost captured in a snare of something even finer than spun silk. For what is the array of the strongest ropes, the tallest spars and the stoutest canvas against the mighty breath of the Infinite, but thistle stalks, cobwebs, and gossamer?
I agree..Im going to have to look for that very nice indeed.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2008, 12:54   #7
Eternal Member

I have not sailed on one of these boats yet. I have only seen them on you-tube. I have spent several months travelling many islands of the Philippines. I met my wife there, and remarried her there. I also plan to retire there sometime soon. The economy has really put a dent in that though. We will see how it goes. There are a couple of pics of Filipino boats in my gallery that we have travelled on. Type sailing the Philippines on you-tube, and you will see many boats flying......i2f
Old 21-11-2008, 13:19   #8

Boat: 42 ferro, La Vanagada
Fishing sailboats

That's why in another thread I was asking about the Bottom Line CSY 44, apparently designed to be a fishing sailboat.. by the same guy that invented the balanced rig. Apparently he fished on the prototype for several years, and saw advantages in terms of cost (~ 1/10 of the fuel costs), although he mentions that the fishing lines used to get tangled with the running rigging (too many lines).
I am interested in this as I might go ahead and set up my ugly sailboat as a fishing vessel, and any information anlong this lines would be appreciated.
andrejsv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 04:33   #9
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

I took to up Tanzania in July.

The village fishermen on Zanzibar Island are too poor to even consider motoring. They use "Dhows", which are wood sailling boats, or narrow wood sail boats with outriggers, and fish by hand with twine.

Anyway, the pictures are up if you are interested. Just click on my images under my name. The Zazibar pictures are scattered throughout the album....sorry for the lack of organization. But they are labeled at least.
Casco Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 09:15   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
We drop a line when we see a larger pelagic school feeding, have caught some nice Tuna that way. I think sailing upsets the fish less, but that is just my biased opinion.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 13:51   #11

Boat: Jarcat 5, 5m, Mandy
I had a sailing catamaran design commissioned by Lock Crowther in 1982 for commercial fishing: drop lining and long lining, and did not get far into it before the bottom fell out of the fishery and personal circumstances changed. It made commercial sense at the time of commissioning it
Robertcateran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2010, 10:07   #12

Boat: Own designs
Send a message via Skype™ to Kanfish
Sail assisted commercial fishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrejsv View Post
That's why in another thread I was asking about the Bottom Line CSY 44, apparently designed to be a fishing sailboat.. by the same guy that invented the balanced rig. Apparently he fished on the prototype for several years, and saw advantages in terms of cost (~ 1/10 of the fuel costs), although he mentions that the fishing lines used to get tangled with the running rigging (too many lines).
I am interested in this as I might go ahead and set up my ugly sailboat as a fishing vessel, and any information anlong this lines would be appreciated.
I came upon this yesterday posted some time ago but thought I would reply anyway. If you wish, try googling sail assisted fishing and add the word kansai. There is a sail assisted vessel at 29 meters length, originally draw for offshore trolling of Albacore tuna, and with a sail rig that cuts out the deck clutter of rigging, and with a number of other well thought out considerations as a very effective unit.
This design is very adaptable to your ocean cruising with a very simple easily handled sail plan too as you will see within the writing in the site pages.

Cheers
Kanfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2010, 11:35   #13

Boat: Tiburon Cabo Rico 36 Ketch
Commercial fishing under sail has been going on none stop in Great Britain for some time. It is because their government had good sense to close the fishery to all but boats under sail.

Falmouth Oyster Festival :: A celebration of Cornish Seafood

Just FYI,

Trisailing
Trisailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2010, 11:38   #14

Boat: Tiburon Cabo Rico 36 Ketch
I think this would be a great idea for the U.S.