Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2024, 05:38   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Largest Cruise Ship Inaugral Voyage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonflyBob View Post
I wonder how many environmental NIMBY’s book vacations on cruise ships with no thought to the kind of damage these ships do to the environment as well as being eyesores of the worst kind.
You missed a final sentence.

"whilst wanting to enjoy the unspoilt nature and wildlife before it's destroyed."

A nearer crocodile to the canoe is a large increase of Covid amongst friends and work colleagues who have taken a winter break with flights to the Med or Canary Islands. What would that look like with 7000 passengers all confined to one ship for a fortnight

Are we doing our part? well we switched to a low emission mild hybrid car and scrapped the old one. House insulated up the ying yang. Sail more, so we only use about 100 L of dino juice a year. Branches and twigs dried then go into the wood burner to help heat the house. The ash goes back on the garden as fertilizer and the trees absorb some of the CO2. Perfect? no but we are trying.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 06:53   #17

The ugliest things on the water. I can't and won't do it, though my wife has gone on a cruise (I opted to stay home) she wasn't impressed. Cruises are for those who like to have their activities planned for them, me, I'm independent and really don't need to be around thousands of individuals trying to act important.
P3sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 07:33   #18

A few years after I began retirement I was getting cabin fever in the winter waiting for the sailing season to begin. I wanted to just watch some ocean waves so I booked a balcony cabin on a cruise ship leaving New York in February heading to the Caribbean. In enjoyed the breakfasts at sunrise, morning swims and sunsets. I never got off the ship at the various destinations or attend any of the shows. It was fine to break up the winter. But since I don't drink or gamble or appreciate large crowds I stopped booking anymore trips. Now I just take a train down to Florida find a hotel or condo with a heated pool for a week each month during the winter. It makes the winter go faster until it's time to start gearing up for the sailing season. I'll leave the cruise ship lifestyle who want to entertain themselves to death on these giant ships. Just give me a sunrise and a sunset and I have a great day.
Old 02-02-2024, 10:02   #19

Boat: currently boatless and looking

I realize many ppl like this type of cruising and I've been on 3 myself...but never again. As an introvert, this thing is my personal nightmare.
FoxIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2024, 10:28   #20

While I no longer will book passage on a cruise ship I think sailors should not be so negative about have them sail the seas with us. They do have positive benefits. Exhibit A:
https://nypost.com/2024/01/30/news/c...ulf-of-mexico/

Tags
cruise, cruise ship