Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2010, 14:12   #31
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
http://forums.sbo.sailboatowners.com...d.php?t=120016

what we found was the petit trinidad bottom paint became rubbery where we slid thru the submerged oil early on---we were sailing western florida and staying about 100 mi out when making passages, when possible. we went from ft myers to 100 mi outside port st joe when we ran inside for storm avoidance--80-100mphwinds inside the storms wasnt our idea of a good time--so we ran into psj. we went to pensacola and thru the canal into mobile bay past lulus.....mississippi sound at nite mostly and into slidell through rigolets. we didnt see any oil on surface at all..didnt really smell any either in our run to slidell. boat was hauled out last week for repairs of what we broke in getting home---and found the bottom paint totally ineffective below 6-8 in below water line...to the water line from 6-8 in down was fine. petit rep was called--
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2010, 14:20   #32
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
Does anybody on the scene have any ideas as to the feasibility of moving a boat (5' draft, 45' air draft) from Mobile to Tampa?
Thanks
you can fit into intracoastal waters ..bridge heights are 50 ft and depth is fine if you keep your sounder on and pay attention .
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2010, 17:06   #33

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
Thanks all,
I'm in Florida but considering buying a boat in Mobile. I was primarily wondering about any added difficulties caused by the oil spill, which I haven't been paying detailed attention to.
Old 28-06-2010, 17:57   #34

Boat: Sceptre 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity_ View Post
Okay so the picture I posted above are 8" by 10' and come in 4 packs for about $95usd and most people would be able to surround your boats with 2 packs. This will not clean up the oil however it should keep it off the boat until an oil cleanup crew comes to your area to clean the oil out of the water.

The only problem spot I would think of is when you attach them together. The ends are like a sausage and when attached, you will have a small area that will allow some trace oil to get through. I would recommend an old t-shirt and duct tape to bridge the gap. It won't soak up the oil but it might stop it from getting through.

Cost - $200 usd and some old t-shirts.

Could save you hundreds to thousands for cleanup and boat damage repairs.
Another idea maybe to overlap the booms a foot or so. That should keep the oil out. I don't know how you get rid of oil soaked booms. In San Diego I had a five gallon bucket full of bilge water topped with diesel. I called everyone and tried to find out where to take it. Finally I found a fuel dock that would take the oil.

Santa Barbara had a sump pump on their fuel dock where you could just but the hose in your bilge and it would seperate the oil and the water. IT was cool! and free.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil, oil spill