Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2010, 19:48   #166
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I gather, Jim D, that you're finding fault with my observation that Abby's vessel had started up the western side of the Falklands, then seemed to stall out, turned back to the southeast, then sailed around the southern side of the islands. I provided a link to her map showing her location and route so that anyone interested could see what I was referring to.

The fact that I don't read her blog and was therefore unaware of the explanation for this, to me, strange navigation is unforgivable, I suppose. I do read Jessica's blog regularly, but find Abby's blog difficult to read because of the white lettering on a dark background, so never got hooked on it as I have with Jessica's.

I'm very supportive of the efforts of both girls and wish them only the very best in their individual quests, so if anyone took my observation as being somehow critical of Abby, you're mistaken.

While I'm at it, you're quite right, sailorbyfate, and I was indeed over-thinking the math. If Jessica finishes by, say, May 4th - two weeks before her 17th birthday - then Abby need only finish by October 4th - two weeks and one day before her 17th birthday. Thank you for your gracious correction.

TaoJones
Old 08-04-2010, 05:47   #167
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Can anyone confirm whether (or not) Abby now holds the record for youngest to solo the Horn?

According to: http://www.worldsailingrecords.com/
Abby Sunderland has rounded Cape Horn (April 1/10)!
At 16 years and 164 days old she is believed to be the youngest solo sailor to have achieved this great feat.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 15:26   #168

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
As a former U.S. President might have said - It all depends on you mean by the word "record?" Since the recognized "big" record keepers have disavowed recognizing "youngest" in this arena it seems that some individuals in their "basements" or internet cafes are setting up websites such as the link in GordMay's #167 message. Whether a listing or mention in these "unidentifiable" websites constitutes a "record" is up for discussion.
- - It is a brave new world and if you accomplish something unique as these two young women are in the process of doing - were will it be "recorded" or "published". Does a website listing constitute an "official record?" Or must there be a published "hard copy?"
- - None of the above in anyway diminishes the achievements and bravery (some say foolishness), skill (some say luck) and fortitude (on that everybody should agree).
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 16:02   #169

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Until I became concerned about others I never needed approval from anyone to do anything I wanted to accomplish.

I understand the reasoning in the powers at hand in removing the youngest category from the record book category's.....but the record will still be set and there will always be challengers to any record obtained....so it makes little difference in what they did.

I suspect there will come along a viable entity to keep tabs on it all regardless of what is thought about it.

It is human nature to compete, that will always require some one to step up as record keepers... ..........may it always be so....if no one looses sports just become exercise.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 17:00   #170

Boat: Charter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
I understand the reasoning in the powers at hand in removing the youngest category from the record book category's.....but the record will still be set and there will always be challengers to any record obtained....so it makes little difference in what they did. I suspect there will come along a viable entity to keep tabs on it all regardless of what is thought about it.
Umm... Does Wikipedia count? Long ago, I created a template there to track it, and plenty of folks are helping to keep it up: Youngest Circumnavigator
sec906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 18:04   #171

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
There you go...well done!

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2010, 20:16   #172

Boat: Charter
Abby is going to stop in Cape Town for repairs to her autopilot. Read about it on Abby's Blog. She plans to continue her circumnavigation, but it won't be non-stop any more.
sec906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2010, 13:22   #173

The autopilot system has been an issue since the original purchase of Wild Eyes in R.I. Per her team, a windvane is simply not practical for the twin rudder design of this boat. Obviously Abby has made a prudent decision. She will lose the non-stop and unassisted designation, but she has an excellent chance to complete an impressive circumnavigation.

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2010, 14:32   #174
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by slomotion View Post
The autopilot system has been an issue since the original purchase of Wild Eyes in R.I. Per her team, a windvane is simply not practical for the twin rudder design of this boat. Obviously Abby has made a prudent decision. She will lose the non-stop and unassisted designation, but she has an excellent chance to complete an impressive circumnavigation.
Yes, this news is indeed unfortunate for Abby, but I'm even more impressed with her level-headed evaluation of the situation and decision to tie-up in Cape Town to effect repairs. Who knows, they may get a reliable solution to the problem such that she decides to set out from Cape Town as the start of a new attempt at doing it unassisted.

It looks like Jessica will be back in Sydney about a week before her 17th birthday, so Abby would need to make the circuit (with a run up to the equator) and be back in Cape Town by about the end of the second week in October. Highly unlikely, to be sure, and done in the Southern winter, so I hope she doesn't even try it.

She can still become the youngest to complete a solo circumnavigation, and I have to believe that by the time she can get back to Cabo San Lucas, she will be over the whole thing.

TaoJones
Old 26-04-2010, 15:56   #175

TaoJones,
No need to go to Cabo S Lucas now - it was just another stop on the route before the stop in Cape town....
sorenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2010, 16:02   #176
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorenb View Post
TaoJones,
No need to go to Cabo S Lucas now - it was just another stop on the route before the stop in Cape town....
Now that I think about it, sorenb, of course you are right. Cabo was just her first stop, Cape Town her second, and there may be others. But she can sail back to Marina del Rey now, rather than Cabo, and that will complete her circumnavigation.

Thanks for the great observation and the correction, sorenb. And welcome to Cruisers Forum.

TaoJones
Old 27-04-2010, 07:34   #177
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

In her last blog update, Abby Sunderland makes it perfectly clear that she isn't ending her circumnavigation with the stop in Cape Town, and just how she feels about the "competition" with Jessica Watson. From the update:

"It looks like a few people think that I am ending my trip in Cape Town. Just in case I didn't make it clear enough in the last blog, I am not ending my trip!!! I am ending my non-stop and unassisted attempt. I will continue on to hopefully become the youngest solo circumnavigator. Jesse Watson will become the youngest solo, non-stop and unassisted circumnavigator. The way I see it is that we both win which is great because neither of us liked being in 'competition' with each other. Go Jesse!"

To read the entire April 26th update, go to:

Abby's Blog

TaoJones
Old 28-04-2010, 03:19   #178
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
"The way I see it is that we both win which is great because neither of us liked being in 'competition' with each other. Go Jesse!" [Abby Sunderalnd]

To read the entire April 26th update, go to:

Abby's Blog

TaoJones
So its a win win situation then
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 18:17   #179

Boat: 382 Diesel Duck
Could Abby delay the departure from Capetown and take the record ?

Since others are now publicly explaining why Jessica is not breaking Jesse Martin's record, could Abby delay her post-repair departure from Capetown and set out from there to take Jesse's record ? IOW make Capetown the start-finish point.

She would have to delay to round the Horn (again !) at the right time of year. She would also have to make sure to actually go the distance. Rounding antipodal points would remove any doubt, sailing legs that sum to at least 23,000 NM would be an alternative but not as clear cut.

Jessica would still have the outstanding accomplishment of having sailed solo and un-assisted around the world even if she didn't break Jesse's record.

I think it would be great to have her go for it if the logistics of the attempt are surmountable !

-Sven
Old 04-05-2010, 19:11   #180

Boat: Open 8 Sofa
I really can't see her restarting at this point after over three months at sea, I doubt she has the stamina or resources. Moreover, it is Abby more than anyone who has stated that there are no rules to the circumnavigation, so how could she possibly adopt the Sail World stance and claim that Jessica's journey is invalid? It would be a can of worms that she clearly has no appetite for.