Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2016, 09:35   #61

Re: 7' bronze cannon found

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
My stupid fellow: That is how underwater archaeology is done. Grids are laid out, transects are taken, and for each section, a slow, methodical removal of overburden is undertaken. Any object that is partly uncovered is then slowly brushed down or troweled around till it can be removed and sent above to be placed in a seawater tank. You really do sound naive and uneducated.

As far as your ability to read, it really needs improving.
Seriously?.....

"Must have sat on a long stick" "My stupid fellow" "You really sound naive and uneducated"

Sounds like you are doing a great job of conforming to the Forum's "be nice" rule. NOT!

INRE to MF, you OBVIOUSLY have no idea what you're talking about OR who you're talking to. He is NEITHER stupid nor uneducated....quite the opposite. Do you address people like this in person? Of course not....otherwise you would be spending lots of time in hospital.

It's no surprise that some of the most learned and experienced sailors on this forum have either left or refuse to post.

It's a collective loss to us all.

Oh ...as to the thread.....Bronze cannon eh? Sorry, not in the market.
Old 30-01-2016, 12:47   #62

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

I have an couple of hours to kill before my flight that will take me home and to the joy of sailing. This is more fun than the dreary airport bar, particularly since the only female of potential interest answered her cell phone, placed a napkin over her hardly touched glass of liquid, nodded at the barman, and quickly departed.

First, to the likes of Muckle, who was apparently educated to become a member to the British (?) Minor Bureaucracy: Do not try to interpret law that you do not understand. Even the most ill informed local magistrate would see the hole in your indictment, and would dismiss it before a local barrister could make government look bad. But, in truth, I am glad you apparently deign to obey your version.

As to Rustic, who said, "Get on with ya sailing, both of you. It's a damn cannon, nothing else. Probably a garden ornament." The first quoted sentence was good advice, and I am in process of following it. It is the second and third sentences that gave rise to the Taliban reference. Do you not recall that lusterous group using artillery to destroy the Buddas of Bamiyan I believe they may have been only made of rock. You seem to fall into the same mental category (as the Taliban, not the rock). The very group that Muckle's cited laws are intended to hinder.

Despite the flaws of their owners, may your vessels bring you joy and occupy your time in ways that are more productive than airports are for me.

BTW, anyone know what the selling price was?
Old 30-01-2016, 13:06   #63

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzstar View Post
I have an couple of hours to kill before my flight that will take me home and to the joy of sailing. This is more fun than the dreary airport bar, particularly since the only female of potential interest answered her cell phone, placed a napkin over her hardly touched glass of liquid, nodded at the barman, and quickly departed.

First, to the likes of Muckle, who was apparently educated to become a member to the British (?) Minor Bureaucracy: Do not try to interpret law that you do not understand. Even the most ill informed local magistrate would see the hole in your indictment, and would dismiss it before a local barrister could make government look bad. But, in truth, I am glad you apparently deign to obey your version.

As to Rustic, who said, "Get on with ya sailing, both of you. It's a damn cannon, nothing else. Probably a garden ornament." The first quoted sentence was good advice, and I am in process of following it. It is the second and third sentences that gave rise to the Taliban reference. Do you not recall that lusterous group using artillery to destroy the Buddas of Bamiyan I believe they may have been only made of rock. You seem to fall into the same mental category (as the Taliban, not the rock). The very group that Muckle's cited laws are intended to hinder.

Despite the flaws of their owners, may your vessels bring you joy and occupy your time in ways that are more productive than airports are for me.

BTW, anyone know what the selling price was?
Yeah, you keep posting the more you post, the sillyier you look.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2016, 05:16   #64

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Winning bid was $153.49.

Plus $12.40 shipping. (Must be to mail the old parchment map with a blood-red X on it.)

Time will tell if anything ever comes of this.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2016, 10:29   #65

Anyone have an update on this?
Matt_Watkins27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2016, 11:27   #66
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

It appears that someone is unaware of what the Russell Group actually means. It also just happens to include Oxford, the oldest university in the English speaking world.
Famous Oxonians include:- 26 British Prime Ministers, at least 30 international leaders, 50 Nobel Prize winners, and 120 Olympic medal winners.
Boasting rights? ........yup, by the ton. A very proud heritage that students from all over the world aspire to. Some shall deny this but they are often the ones that do not meet the necessary standards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jangada View Post
My Dear Muckle Flugga -

Russell Group university? You're actually bragging about this?

And I've seen you and your boat. I suggest you immediately report yourself and your 'boat' to the Receiver of Wrecks wherever you happen to be before you get into trouble for attempting to leave the country with prehistoric artifacts.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2016, 11:37   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulawayo View Post
It appears that someone is unaware of what the Russell Group actually means. It also just happens to include Oxford, the oldest university in the English speaking world.
Famous Oxonians include:- 26 British Prime Ministers, at least 30 international leaders, 50 Nobel Prize winners, and 120 Olympic medal winners.
Boasting rights? ........yup, by the ton. A very proud heritage that students from all over the world aspire to. Some shall deny this but they are often the ones that do not meet the necessary standards.
Dear misinformed, the Russell Group is a consortium of English universities, including Liverpool and Leeds. It is not per se a university. Most folks who can not get into Oxford or Cambridge, but do go to one of the Group's universities hid their inferior education by calling themselves graduates of the Russell Group university.

Its nothing more that a consortium that allow credit transfers and reciprocal library privileges. If you can not get accepted to Cambridge, you can go to Newcastle University and then hid your stupidity behind the label Russell Group. Most universities are part of many consortium dedicated to various purposes. If someone went to Oxford, they would rather die than say they went to RGU. Good grief.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2016, 12:36   #68
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

My goodness; please re-read. I wrote 'includes'.
As for Newcastle - all the graduates are stupid? What a sweeping & uninformed statement. What are your qualifications to justify such a claim? Check the alumni to appreciate the benefits of research.
Its nothing more than a consortium - yes, you are right with that assertion - as their own website agrees, although they state they are a group. Most people understand the strength of teams rather then singular units.
The rest of the allegations sound like a lot of very sour grapes.
Muckle Fluga didnt say where he went to 'varsity.....he didnt feel the need to boast specifically. I also went to a very prestigious 'varsity, and similarly do not feel the necessity to brag, but I do use the title 'Doctor' as it took some work, time and expense to obtain and I am still proud of my achievements.

Quote:
Dear misinformed, the Russell Group is a consortium of English universities, including Liverpool and Leeds. It is not per se a university. Most folks who can not get into Oxford or Cambridge, but do go to one of the Group's universities hid their inferior education by calling themselves graduates of the Russell Group university.

Its nothing more that a consortium that allow credit transfers and reciprocal library privileges. If you can not get accepted to Cambridge, you can go to Newcastle University and then hid your stupidity behind the label Russell Group. Most universities are part of many consortium dedicated to various purposes. If someone went to Oxford, they would rather die than say they went to RGU. Good grief.
Old 19-02-2016, 13:25   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulawayo View Post
My goodness; please re-read. I wrote 'includes'.
As for Newcastle - all the graduates are stupid? What a sweeping & uninformed statement. What are your qualifications to justify such a claim? Check the alumni to appreciate the benefits of research.
Its nothing more than a consortium - yes, you are right with that assertion - as their own website agrees, although they state they are a group. Most people understand the strength of teams rather then singular units.
The rest of the allegations sound like a lot of very sour grapes.
Muckle Fluga didnt say where he went to 'varsity.....he didnt feel the need to boast specifically. I also went to a very prestigious 'varsity, and similarly do not feel the necessity to brag, but I do use the title 'Doctor' as it took some work, time and expense to obtain and I am still proud of my achievements.
You sure sound like someone who did not go to college. In any event, the Russell association was "forced" upon Oxford and Cambridge in order to facilitate national funding . I doubt if anyone at the two leading universities really gives much thought to the Russell Group. Just as most US universities are members of similar consortium. However, I have yet to see Stanford folks brag about being part of the various regional associations the University belongs to. Nor for that matter neither does Harvard or the other Ivy League schools. Nope, you sound totally out of your depth.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2016, 14:05   #70
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Noted that you change the subject everytime you get caught out - typical signs of a failure. Accuse everyone else of your own failings rather than recognise them. There is no merit trying to have a discussion with an intellectual dwarf. Enjoy your sad musings.

Quote:
You sure sound like someone who did not go to college. In any event, the Russell association was "forced" upon Oxford and Cambridge in order to facilitate national funding . I doubt if anyone at the two leading universities really gives much thought to the Russell Group. Just as most US universities are members of similar consortium. However, I have yet to see Stanford folks brag about being part of the various regional associations the University belongs to. Nor for that matter neither does Harvard or the other Ivy League schools. Nope, you sound totally out of your depth.