Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Forum Tech Support & Site Help
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2016, 14:05   #31

Boat: Catalina 30
Re: Oh no! Cloudflare ruins another favorite website of mine

And, related, I still get that damnable 'Subscribe' popup on every new visit (referred from CF's daily email). I'm on a desktop, not mobile.

To be honest, it is so annoying that were there another site like this, I'd be long gone.

But it's getting close....
Skuzzlebutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2016, 14:22   #32

I haven't experienced any of this, but I hope they get it sorted out soon!
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2016, 15:07   #33

Boat: Catalina 470

Ive just flown back to Indonesia. Access via Android app dosent work? Is this part of the security upgrade thing?
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2016, 16:12   #34

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cape Dory 27

We made some changes to the site security a few days ago. If you are an app user please make sure you have the latest version loaded. You may need to power down your device and then restart.

If you are logging in from a PC, tick the 'remember me' box to stay logged in at page changes.

Some folks surfing is a few countries may see a captcha authentication screen. This was put in place recently because of a DDoS attack on our server emanating from several countries (Thailand, Philippines, China, Serbia , etc). We are looking for an alternative solution and ask you to be patient while we find one.

Community Rules | Advertise on Cruisers Forum
Contribute to Cruisers Wiki | Document your Adventures at Sail Blogs
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2016, 16:58   #35

Boat: Catalina 470

Tried the reinstalling app and rebooting but no good.
Cheers Dale.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2016, 19:21   #36

Three things:

1. I apologize for taking attention away from an existing thread on this subject. How was I to know? I can't access the site!

2. I posted screen captures of three typical CAPTCHA challenges in my OP. For whatever benefits Cloudflare might offer the site operators, is this really something you want to subject your legitimate readers to, every time Cloudflare has a problem? Go on! JUST TRY to figure them out.

3. You are not receiving feedback on this issue because any affected members can't comment. THEY HAVE BEEN LOCKED OUT.
ryon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2016, 20:24   #37
Captain

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via MSN to Andy R Send a message via Skype™ to Andy R

As you all noted, we switch to Cloudflare recently after being hit with a DDoS attack. As Lizzy mentioned, there are a ton of settings so please be patient as we dial them in. The captcha is setup to show to people in certain developing nations known for spamming and botnet traffic. I believe it also shows to Tor users for the same reasons (nefarious users causing issues). I was just reviewing the settings and the captcha was set to show every 30 minutes. I have changed this to show once a week.

I hope this works okay for you all. The change should be live so after your next answer to the captcha it should not show again for another week.
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2016, 22:20   #38

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy R View Post
As you all noted, we switch to Cloudflare recently after being hit with a DDoS attack. As Lizzy mentioned, there are a ton of settings so please be patient as we dial them in. The captcha is setup to show to people in certain developing nations known for spamming and botnet traffic. I believe it also shows to Tor users for the same reasons (nefarious users causing issues). I was just reviewing the settings and the captcha was set to show every 30 minutes. I have changed this to show once a week.

I hope this works okay for you all. The change should be live so after your next answer to the captcha it should not show again for another week.
Janet H and Andy R. How strange that there was a Denial of Service attack in CF? Why? Weird.

Anyhow thank you for the information. My primary concern and that of some others is not so much that the cloudflare intertitial occurs, it is that it does not actually work. No matter how many times I put in the correct captcha code, it just reloads with another one. I have to open a new window, go into "history" and load up a thread I previously commented on. For some reason this works, but still only 30 percent of the time, which suggests to me that the cloudflare program itself is not actually working properly.

Sorry you are having this trouble. I am sure it is no fun for you either!
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2016, 16:53   #39

I had pretty much given up, but I see that you have a more reasonable CAPTCHA now. It's still a PITA, but at least it's possible to read your site again. Thank you.
ryon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2016, 23:06   #40

Boat: Kaufman 47

Not sure if anyone mentioned it yet, skipped the middle pages, but if you have a apple/android phone or tablet download Tapatalk. I work offshore so use satellite for comms including data. It works great, only loads the post and pictures. No ads, no cf pop-ups, no capchatas?... It's free and it most probably uses way less data than the mobile site and full site for those on limited data.

You go through Tapatalk so you may be safe from the issues you are having.

See more @ redemptiverepair.com
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2016, 23:34   #41

Boat: 55' sloop.

Just a note to confirm that the situation has stabilised to normal now. I no longer encounter the interstitials from Cloudflare, thanks!
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote