Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2019, 06:20   #1

available as crew in the US northeast, willing to travel

I'm in the US northeast and would love to sail more, so I'm interested in helping out as crew for deliveries, etc. Probably only relatively short trips at first, but if I got to know someone well, then I can definitely imagine that later we'd cross an ocean together.

Willing to travel. Ideally you'd cover some of the travel cost, but not necessarily all.

My experience: I have the US Sailing Bareboat Cruising certification, and do a lot of sailing in my area, including some multi-day trips in 30ft-40ft boats (sleeping on anchor).

I've never been on an overnight passage.

I have a 1-week BVI charter planned for June (yes, June... I think we'll be fine with the heat).

A lot of my sailing is also small boat racing (keelboats under 20ft, dinghies). Some of that experience carries over to sailing bigger boats, but I'm not very interested in racing big boats.

I don't own a boat -- all of the above experience is using boats from a couple different clubs I belong to.

Getting on a boat with a stranger makes me a little nervous, so I'd be looking for any way I can get comfortable that you and your boat will be safe: Learning about your sailing experience, references, your safety equipment, etc.

I'm happy to provide the same for you to get comfortable with me. If we start to plan a trip together, I can put you in touch with the instructor who taught my US Sailing Bareboat Cruising class. And maybe we can find someone I've sailed with that knows someone you've sailed with, so that can give us a bit more confidence too.

I'm vegan, so happy to help with provisioning and make sure that eating goes smoothly for me. Obviously you can eat whatever you want, but hopefully we can enjoy sharing some of the cooking. (For example, even if you need meat in all your meals, we can share cooking for some parts of the meal and not others.)

Someday I'd like to own a boat, so I'm interested in learning everything I can about the mechanical aspects. If you have repairs to do (while underway or in port), I'd love to help.
Exonerated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2019, 02:13   #2

Re: available as crew in the US northeast, willing to travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exonerated View Post
I'm in the US northeast and would love to sail more, so I'm interested in helping out as crew for deliveries, etc. Probably only relatively short trips at first, but if I got to know someone well, then I can definitely imagine that later we'd cross an ocean together.

Willing to travel. Ideally you'd cover some of the travel cost, but not necessarily all.

My experience: I have the US Sailing Bareboat Cruising certification, and do a lot of sailing in my area, including some multi-day trips in 30ft-40ft boats (sleeping on anchor).

I've never been on an overnight passage.

I have a 1-week BVI charter planned for June (yes, June... I think we'll be fine with the heat).

A lot of my sailing is also small boat racing (keelboats under 20ft, dinghies). Some of that experience carries over to sailing bigger boats, but I'm not very interested in racing big boats.

I don't own a boat -- all of the above experience is using boats from a couple different clubs I belong to.

Getting on a boat with a stranger makes me a little nervous, so I'd be looking for any way I can get comfortable that you and your boat will be safe: Learning about your sailing experience, references, your safety equipment, etc.

I'm happy to provide the same for you to get comfortable with me. If we start to plan a trip together, I can put you in touch with the instructor who taught my US Sailing Bareboat Cruising class. And maybe we can find someone I've sailed with that knows someone you've sailed with, so that can give us a bit more confidence too.

I'm vegan, so happy to help with provisioning and make sure that eating goes smoothly for me. Obviously you can eat whatever you want, but hopefully we can enjoy sharing some of the cooking. (For example, even if you need meat in all your meals, we can share cooking for some parts of the meal and not others.)

Someday I'd like to own a boat, so I'm interested in learning everything I can about the mechanical aspects. If you have repairs to do (while underway or in port), I'd love to help.

Hello,
I’m looking to move my 30ft S2 down the Hudson from Albany to Brooklyn either this weekend or next and I’m looking for a hand. It should be an overnight trip with a stop at an anchorage or marina along the way. Interested?

Mike
babbalove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2019, 08:43   #3

Hi Mike-- I'm pretty busy the next couple weeks, but it might be possible. I'll send a PM with some followup questions.
Exonerated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2019, 13:37   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by babbalove View Post
Hello,
I’m looking to move my 30ft S2 down the Hudson from Albany to Brooklyn either this weekend or next and I’m looking for a hand. It should be an overnight trip with a stop at an anchorage or marina along the way. Interested?

Mike
Hello Mike, I'm based in NYC and might be available to assist you on this trip. I'll send you a PM.

thanks,
tartugas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew