Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Training, Licensing & Certification
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2017, 20:26   #1

Boat: Hunter 28.5 1985
Any experience with sailing schools in the Santa Cruz, California area?

I got this really GREAT idea that for my daughter's birthday this year I'd buy her some basic sailing lessons!
She might get hooked and want to sail with me!... uh... not that she won't anyway, once I start sailing my own boat.
Her Mom and I have always supported her exploring new things and I think she might enjoy it... maybe even take it on as a hobby or more.. maybe not.
Plus... I'm looking for schools between Humboldt Bay and Monterey, CA. for myself.
One school I found in Santa Cruz has an 8-day Bareboat Course (with no extra cost liveaboard during the course)... ASA affiliated.
Looking into that one and any others I find.
Thanks for any info offered up!
Old 25-04-2017, 21:10   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Any experience with sailing schools in the Santa Cruz, California area?

I recommend Club Nautique in Sausalito or Alameda. The Sausalito location is my first choice. While it is not in Santa Cruz, it is not far from there, but the sailing and training opportunities in San Francisco Bay are outstanding, with "world class" sailing conditions during the summer. SF Bay during the summer is an exciting place, with lots of boats on the water and consistent winds.

Club Nautique has lots of classes and special programs.

While it was for many years an ASA school (and the largest as I recall) it is now a US Sailing credentialed school.

It is one of the best sailing schools in the USA. They have a large fleet of new modern boats, good boats for instruction, experienced instructors, nice facilities, and a long time in business with a very good reputation (win awards). I took several classes there. I have no financial connection to them.

https://www.clubnautique.net
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2017, 21:16   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
I recommend Club Nautique in Sausalito or Alameda...
Thanks! I'll check them out.
My kid can take the bus and train if she'd rather go to the Bay Area and take a class.
I can go anywhere up and down the coast.
ETA: I keep forgetting she now has her own car.... lol
S.F. is only a 5 hr drive for me... S.C. and Monterey are in the 6-7 hr range depending on time of day/night and traffic... so that whole big area is fine.

I was kinda thinking anything right there near S.F. might be more expensive than down around S.C., but what do I know..
Old 25-04-2017, 21:41   #4

Looking at some of the schools in the S.F. area... looks like part of the expense is being drawn into their 'Clubs' with a commitment to paying monthly dues for a year!
I'm not looking to join some club when I anticipate my sailing for the next year will be on my boat or friend's boats here in Humboldt.
Can't see me getting away to the Bay Area often enough to charter a club's boat to make a year's commitment worth it.

Old 25-04-2017, 22:03   #5
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmac View Post
Looking at some of the schools in the S.F. area... looks like part of the expense is being drawn into their 'Clubs' with a commitment to paying monthly dues for a year!
I'm not looking to join some club when I anticipate my sailing for the next year will be on my boat or friend's boats here in Humboldt.
Can't see me getting away to the Bay Area often enough to charter a club's boat to make a year's commitment worth it.

You don't have to join the club to take classes. The club exists for people who want to have a social place to join, and it offers discounts on chartering etc. it is just one of the aspects and not all students join the club.

Call them and speak with them. Ask about a liveaboard class, if you want that or are coming from out of town, etc..

Also, I think taking the basic classes in SF Bay would be much better than Santa Cruz because of the summer conditions in SF Bay.

In the summer, the coastal fog can cover the coastline, while in the SF Bay there can be a tongue of fog in an area known as "The Slot" there can also be sunshine in other parts of the bay.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2017, 00:15   #6

Thanks
From reading their page and others... it sounded like taking the multi-day classes (4-8 day)... the price included the courses, the boat, the materials, membership in U.S.Sailing or ASA, AND... a discounted membership entry fee plus a commitment of a monthly fee for the year.
I definitely could have misread those... once they started sounding like a Time-Share sales pitch... my mind may have wandered a bit....
I realize there's some benefit to being a member of the clubs if you are there to utilize those benefits... I won't be.
The school you offered, does allow students to stay aboard their boats during the courses. The one in Santa Cruz also. I suppose that might be a common thing for certain outfits with ample boats.
I'll give them a call.... nicer to get it straight from a live person.
I was hoping to do it sooner than later... but I found out tonight the 101 is closed again south of us.
No telling how many days this time.
Wet weather and slides.
I don't want to drive all the way over to the I5 and down... adds more hours to the drive.
I was planning on trailering down my Prius to be worked on in S.F. while I played Sailor Mark!
Now I'll have to wait...
Old 26-04-2017, 07:59   #7

Boat: Pearson 303

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
I recommend Club Nautique in Sausalito or Alameda. The Sausalito location is my first choice. While it is not in Santa Cruz, it is not far from there, but the sailing and training opportunities in San Francisco Bay are outstanding, with "world class" sailing conditions during the summer. SF Bay during the summer is an exciting place, with lots of boats on the water and consistent winds.

Club Nautique has lots of classes and special programs.

While it was for many years an ASA school (and the largest as I recall) it is now a US Sailing credentialed school.

It is one of the best sailing schools in the USA. They have a large fleet of new modern boats, good boats for instruction, experienced instructors, nice facilities, and a long time in business with a very good reputation (win awards). I took several classes there. I have no financial connection to them.

I second the Club Nautique sailing school and club. I have been a member there for 5 years and it is a first class operation with great boats.

Have fun!
rmesfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2017, 08:25   #8

Boat: Catalina 22

I went with http://www.deltasailingschool.com/ for my ASA101 cert.
Captain Allen and team are awesome.
It is a small school, classroom is on the dock. Crew was very professional and the delta is a great place to learn.

Russ
T_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2017, 08:34   #9

Boat: Pearson 303

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmesfo View Post
I second the Club Nautique sailing school and club. I have been a member there for 5 years and it is a first class operation with great boats.

Have fun!
I neglected to add that getting qualified on SF Bay in the best training anywhere in the world. Tide, winds, traffic, shallows and Etc is well worth the effort and will bring dividends when you charter anywhere else.
rmesfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2017, 09:33   #10
Marine Service Provider

I would agree that Club Nautique runs a good program. They are one of the only schools I have had any experience with in that area - I am sure there are several other good programs.

If you want to check out options a little further afield... Take a look at our website and Trip Advisor reviews. Let me know if you have any questions I can help you with. You can contact me directly at Chris@LTDsailing.com

Beam winds!
LTDsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2017, 11:44   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Alerion Express 38 Yawl (former)

I live in Santa Cruz and hear very good things about our local sailing school. A friend of mine just took the bareboat charter class (he's a small boat sailor) and was very positive about it. While the school has recently changed hands, or will shortly, I think most of the instructors will remain the same.

Plus, you get to sail on Monterey Bay and the Pacific Ocean, which is pretty spectacular.

Chuck
Chuck Hawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2017, 12:37   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmesfo View Post
I neglected to add that getting qualified on SF Bay in the best training anywhere in the world. Tide, winds, traffic, shallows and Etc is well worth the effort and will bring dividends when you charter anywhere else.
Thanks!
Every time I'm down there and watch all those sailboats out on the water... I just smile...
My GF, her girls and I added Angel Island to one of our vacations a year or so back... after we got off the ferry and I saw all those sailboats at the marina... well... it just fed the desire to sail my own boat oneday!
Old 26-04-2017, 12:39   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Hawley View Post
I live in Santa Cruz and hear very good things about our local sailing school. A friend of mine just took the bareboat charter class (he's a small boat sailor) and was very positive about it. While the school has recently changed hands, or will shortly, I think most of the instructors will remain the same.

Plus, you get to sail on Monterey Bay and the Pacific Ocean, which is pretty spectacular.

Chuck

Add to all that... the fact that I can also mountain bike while there... I really dig Santa Cruz!
Old 26-04-2017, 12:41   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDsailing View Post
I would agree that Club Nautique runs a good program. They are one of the only schools I have had any experience with in that area - I am sure there are several other good programs.

If you want to check out options a little further afield... Take a look at our website and Trip Advisor reviews. Let me know if you have any questions I can help you with. You can contact me directly at Chris@LTDsailing.com

Beam winds!
Definitely a possibility once I have ventured along our coast a bit and feel like I have some solid experience!
I do know my girlfriend would love another trip to other shores!
Old 26-04-2017, 12:42   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Cat View Post
I went with http://www.deltasailingschool.com/ for my ASA101 cert.
Captain Allen and team are awesome.
It is a small school, classroom is on the dock. Crew was very professional and the delta is a great place to learn.

Russ
I'll look into them as well.
Hoping to go for a block of consecutive classes if I can do this before I go back to work fulltime... hahaha

Tags
cal, california, enc, sail, sailing, sailing school, santa cruz, school