Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Boats For Sale and Wanted
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2019, 05:08   #1

Boat: TRT 1200 GT
Performance Cruising Catamaran 42-48 foot

Hi,

for a planned long-term cruise we are looking for a catamaran that combines good performance with a livable interior for a family of four.

We currently sail on a Farrier F32RX trimaran and are aware that we will lose some of that whoosh-like performance, but we have a certain minimum performance we hope for.

Lerouge, Luscher, Mumby, Schionning, Farrier, Oram, Outremer, Catana are examples of yards/designers that have boats that would appeal to us.

Older boats in need of a refit are welcome, if the condition of the boat is priced in.

Budget is between 150k and 250k Euro. Preferred time of handover is middle of next year, but we are open to anything between now and end of next year (slightly depending on the condition of the boat, a big refit needs time).

EU VAT paid status and CE certification are a big plus. Preferred location of the boat is Europe, Carribean would be ok as well, USA currently means an additional 25% tax on import, so it's probably wouldn't make sense unfortunately.

Must haves:
- at least three cabins
- light boat
- separate shower (at least one that is not a wet-head)
- short handed handling possible
- prodder for code-0 / gennaker

Nice to haves:
- cabin doors
- lots of solar
- dual tiller plus wheel :-)
- self tacking jib
- cockpit with table and bimini

Contact me with a forum message, then we can exchange emails in private.
toolbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2019, 23:31   #2

Re: Performance Cruising Catamaran 42-48 foot

Ping. Still looking. :-)
Old 25-06-2019, 06:03   #3

If you doin't know about it....http://www.leboncoin.fr is a good place to look at too.
andreas.mehlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 01:10   #4

Hi @andreas.mehlin - leboncoin.fr seems like an excellent resource with many non-mainstream offerings from private sellers. Many Thanks!

Obviously we haven't found the _one_ yet, but we are still hopeful.

Paul
Old 01-07-2019, 02:15   #5

If Mumby, Schionning, Farrier, Oram cat's are the kind of thing you're looking for, Australia might be a good place to look. Lots of boats from those designers here, plus Grainger, Chamberlain, Crowther, Arber etc. etc

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 04:03   #6

Hi 44c,

yes, there are quite a number of boats in Australia and SEA, that I would like. And many of them seem priced right as well.

However starting our life on board on the other side of the globe makes the cliff we have to jump much higher. It's one thing to sell up and move onto a boat that is lying in front of the old house, slowly leaving the waters we know. It's feels much more risky to carry everything you own in a few bags onto a plane and to start from zero a long way from home.

The logistics and costs of inspecting and buying are also much harder, if your travel time is measured in days, even if you take a plane...

Since we want to cruise the Med as well, we would need a boat that is CE certified. None of the nice homebuilt or small series built boat have been certified at build time. And retroactive certification often means that you need to swap the engines because the current emissions standards have to be met. You might have to scrap an engine is that is running perfectly and is only 10 years old. Even without an engine swap the certification is another 5-15k EUR (new rules for multihulls in the last years have made this more costly). Don't forget the 20% VAT needs to be paid at import-time as well.

By the time I deduct all that extra expense from the princely sum I would like to offer for your beautiful Oram, you would be as insulted as Kenomac is. And probably rightfully so. :-)

Paul
Old 12-07-2019, 10:04   #7

Toolbar,
I just posted my 2006 Schionning 50 Waterline 1480. It's a 52 foot. It's in Honolulu , Hawaii. Please, have a look at my classified add. I saw you budget. I may be able to work with you still.

Thanks,
Joe
Joe USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 10:35   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolbar View Post
Hi @andreas.mehlin - leboncoin.fr seems like an excellent resource with many non-mainstream offerings from private sellers. Many Thanks!

Obviously we haven't found the _one_ yet, but we are still hopeful.

Paul
Is leboncoin.fr a french craigslist.org?

Does anyone have any experience buying from these listings? Are there a lot of scammers here?

Some seem suspiciously low such as: https://www.leboncoin.fr/nautisme/1643202569.htm/
comesatime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2019, 06:41   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by comesatime View Post
Is leboncoin.fr a french craigslist.org?

Does anyone have any experience buying from these listings? Are there a lot of scammers here?

Some seem suspiciously low such as: https://www.leboncoin.fr/nautisme/1643202569.htm/
Don't know anything about scammers there.
I found my catamaran there 2012. Paid 60k Euro for a 2001 38ft...but it was worn...
andreas.mehlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2019, 13:37   #10

Boat: 54 ft

Hi we have a cat for sale but it is in New Zealand , a bit longer than you are after but definitely ready for your family and friends, view at foxglove 2.co.nz you will need a computer I think as apposed to a tablet
Two hulls, two of everything, seperate heads, showers 4 double cabins, galley up, self tacking, hydraulic main new motors etc.etc
Regards Peter
Foxglove2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2019, 14:12   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxglove2 View Post
Hi we have a cat for sale but it is in New Zealand , ... foxglove2.co.nz...
Hi Peter,

thanks - but I guess even with the EUR/AUD exchange rate your boat is way out of my budget.

Paul
Old 19-07-2019, 23:27   #12

Boat: 54 ft

Yes possibly, but nz to eu is just .60 so at 550 nz it would be just 330 euro.
Peter
Foxglove2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, catamaran