Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2022, 08:01   #31
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Hunter, Catalina, Benneteau Debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
One of our grandkids still “accepts” that I can pull his nose off. He accepts almost everything I tell him. But he is 4.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiot' of the West still pays for the beat of the Apartheid Drum.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2022, 08:02   #32

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389
Re: Hunter, Catalina, Benneteau Debate

I think I have a photo of a Hunter 34 keel with black specks. I guess it got hit and repaired to late but it wasn’t rust unless some navel jelly had been used on it and the keel was iron. Lead is pretty soluble.
I have optional hardware but maybe your referring to parts I’m not familiar with. I lie about my age except to the broker so electric winches. Well 3. The Yanmar has that wonderful fuel rail thing. I changed that seacock to a nice bronze one. I understand they are poor quality seacocks only from forums. Mine are all clean and covered in grease. All the sail hardware works great. I had a friend help me set up the code 0 but I had all the hardware and I know Jeanneau US had a lemon in a smaller boat where the rigging mounts in the hull were tearing away. The same boat in Europe had no such problem. Apparently they are set at the wrong angle. Oops
What other hardware should I be concerned about from the second largest sailboat builder on the planet. Not being sarcastic but I think the shinny bits on the brands discussed are pretty much the same unless you spring for these cool electric winches. If you are going to see upgraded hardware in these brands I’d expect to see it on a Sun Fast or First. If I was expecting more luxury bits like retractable cleats Jeanneau Yachts Dual anchor roller. Standard. So cool I’ve been a 2 anchor twin shock line guy forever.
I have to change the rigging in 3 years. I think I will go with fibre and all new hardware. I witness the bow rig break on a boat underway. Ugly stuff We take out mast down so I image it’s tough and the metal is stretching. Is there a brand of hardware I should upgrade too. Is the Jeanneau rigging not as well made as Hunters? Is the furniture under the Hunter 40 main cabin bed not plywood with 1/64 laminate?
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2022, 08:06   #33

Quote:
One of our grandkids still “accepts” that I can pull his nose off. He accepts almost everything I tell him. But he is 4.

But eventually he'll grow up, and you'll have to provide substance with your opinions.

I used to own a Catalina. So I have a little experience with that brand, and it was a decent boat for it's price. Also, because of how many there were out there, it was easy to get parts or find users who had sorted out problems or figured out good modifications. Maybe that's true of the other brands mentioned, but likely to a lesser degree.

Still, if you're going to choose to respond, please let it be to the second paragraph of that post, which was the actual point of it.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2022, 08:22   #34

Which materials Boatpoker?
What system problems should I head off.
Old 18-04-2022, 08:50   #35

I think in production boats like that, it's more about the YEAR and MODEL than brand name.
Hunter tried some weird things.
Some tried cored hulls, etc.
Old Beneteau's are built like a tank, nothing like the more modern ones, etc.
Catalina has had a fairly consistent build approach over the years.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2022, 12:15   #36

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgetsailing3 View Post
But eventually he'll grow up, and you'll have to provide substance with your opinions.

I used to own a Catalina. So I have a little experience with that brand, and it was a decent boat for it's price. Also, because of how many there were out there, it was easy to get parts or find users who had sorted out problems or figured out good modifications. Maybe that's true of the other brands mentioned, but likely to a lesser degree.

Still, if you're going to choose to respond, please let it be to the second paragraph of that post, which was the actual point of it.
I did respond substantively to the OP. This one, however, deserved the response I wrote. Lighten up!
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2022, 13:38   #37

Boat: Beneteau First 375

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
One must note that it's not just the brands, it's the model and year too. Just like autos- GM makes the Corvette, and GM made absolutely junker vehicles too.
An often overlooked point in these debates!
sandy stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2022, 14:06   #38

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

In a debate between an owner defending his choice of boat and a surveyor who has done objective inspections of hundreds of boats with a goal of advising the buyer of faults or problems that exist in the subject boat... well, I know to whom I would listen.

Jim
Old 18-04-2022, 14:16   #39

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

FYI, lead is not soluble in sea water. There may be acids or bases in which it is: I'm not enough of a chemist to know. But we have had 3 boats with lead ballast, two of them with external lead ballast, and there has never been a problem with them. Whereas, we have seen boats with iron or steel ballast that have had severe problems from rust expansion when they got wet. Watching what had to be done to repair one of those, I would NEVER want a ferrous or ferric ballasted boat.

Ann
Old 18-04-2022, 14:18   #40

Catalina may be the "best" of those four as a generality. I would put near 0 value on "being able to contact the builder" personally.

In my former Charter Boat Manager life I have had to deal with a Cat 42 hitting a rock at 5 knots. It made it home but had $25000 damage ....in 2004 dollars:
Engine bed loose from hull
Some Galley cabinetry loose from hull
The Catalina "smile" fore and aft of the keel.

OTOH, I hit hard coming to full immediate stop two times in my Passport 47 with nothing but a gouge on the keel bottom.

My feeling about arguing about 'best of 4 cheaply made boats' is best reserved to a particular boat.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2022, 14:20   #41

Quote:
I did respond substantively to the OP. This one, however, deserved the response I wrote. Lighten up!

Well, as cleverly stated and strongly supported as your opinions are, I'll choose to go along with my own experience, and this one:

Originally Posted by boatpoker
I have surveyed ...
85 Catalinas
192 Hunters
112 Beneteaus
28 Jeanneaus

On systems installation, build and material quality alone, I believe Hunter and Catalina are superior to Beneteau and Jeanneau.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2022, 14:39   #42
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

Where shall I start.

My Beneteau will sail circles around both Hunter and Catalina of equal size.

It sails extremely well under auto-pilot.

To be sure, they are mass produced and prefabricated, but hence you can get them at a good price. Keel draft can vary according to your needs.

The interior is bright and airy and has oodles of space.

The walk-thru' transom is a dream.

Cockpit is massive.

I will grant you that the shallow bilge is a pita, but that is the price you pay for speed.
My only other beef is that the lifelines are too low.

The Bennie is quite low to the water, hence at anchor it stays put and doesn't try to dance the tango.

Appearance-wise, the Bennie wins hands down.

I can go and on, but gave both Hunter and Catalina a looksee, before settling on the Bennie.

For the money, imo, there is none better.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2022, 14:44   #43

I don’t know how poor ol Corvette got involved. They use ZF transmissions same folks who make the SeaDrive. Unfortunately it’s a GM and GM are scumbags in Canada. Borrowed 650 mil didn’t pay back 450m while handing out bonuses in Detroit. So some brands loose market share cause they have no ethical sense.
For a Hunter owner to smack talk even rage about the industry and sport leader is kinda funny. Sensitive much.
You must be popular at club events.
Avoid conversations chopper gun builds from the past, Beneteau race wins, Years in business , years in chapter 11, resin quality and resale value and you’ll do fine.

I’m kinda surprised a moderator didn’t slip a close pin on the manners.
Old 18-04-2022, 15:00   #44
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

There should really be price point to this debate, ie, you could likely lump Honda, Toyota, Nissan in the same group, but BMW, Porsche and Mercedes belong in another. Ferrari and other exotics in yet another group. Then you get the outliers, Oyster, Halberg Rassy, etc..

Hunter, Catalina and Beneteau do belong in one comparison group, but price should be a factor as well.

Finally, there is no telling what attracts a person to a particular boat, any more than why some people like blondes and others brunettes. Some people buy a boat because they like the color of the cushions, others like a boat because it might have twin helms, etc.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2022, 15:01   #45

Boat: Columbia 9.6, Hunter Cherubini 37, Jeanneau 57

The way Bavaria has been priced, they are around this bracket too. Some of the older ones had some issues, but the newer ones are pretty well thought out.
Greatest Lakes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catalina, hunter