Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-12-2008, 11:06   #16

Boat: broadblue 385
@ stupidape - they dont need a new webdesigner, all bb business is now at hillyards and they need a webdesigner
onotoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2008, 14:18   #17

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stupidape View Post
The official BB website is not BroadBlueUSA.com it is Broadblue.co.uk . It looks like they just tacked on USA at the bottom of the logo. They really need a new web designer.

The US office that has the US site is in North Carolina just above the border with SC. The boats built here and those built in the UK seem to be the same, but I would guess that they have different electrics.
BroadBlue builds boats "here", the US?
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2008, 01:24   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
BroadBlue builds boats "here", the US?
No Jeff, only in the UK by Hillyards, his quote is misleading.
ireaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2008, 09:18   #19

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ireaney View Post
No Jeff, only in the UK by Hillyards, his quote is misleading.
Thanks Ian.

I thought I was having more "senior moments".
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 16:54   #20

I went to the boat show">London Boat Show: at the Z spar stand they asked me the question "what are we going to do about OUR problem?" Apparently, Z spars were not paid by BB for the mast, and , according to their sales policy, ownership remains with them until payment received. Thus Z spars maintain that they own our mast!!!! We had better not sail near any crane!
bb beware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 22:26   #21

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48
I visited the Southampton boat show to test sail the BB385. I liked the boat very much and found it sailed well, albeit it is a heavy boat. The quality of interior fit and finish is top notch. However, in the end I decided to go with an FP because it is much lighter and carries more sail than either the BB or Lagoon 380.

If you do choose the BB I'd suggest giving serious consideration to installing their 'sport' rig - I really don't like the typical 'Prout' sail plan with the tiny mainsail.
muskoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 13:13   #22

Boat: Hanse 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by bb beware View Post
I went to the London Boat Show: at the Z spar stand they asked me the question "what are we going to do about OUR problem?" Apparently, Z spars were not paid by BB for the mast, and , according to their sales policy, ownership remains with them until payment received. Thus Z spars maintain that they own our mast!!!! We had better not sail near any crane!
Don't know British law, but here in the US, there is UCC, uniform commercial code, and in most cases, once the product have been shipped, the deliveree now owns the product. Payment is a separate issue. Some companies try to change their T&Cs to go around this, but don't know how it is where you are.
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 01:58   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post
Don't know British law, but here in the US, there is UCC, uniform commercial code, and in most cases, once the product have been shipped, the deliveree now owns the product. Payment is a separate issue. Some companies try to change their T&Cs to go around this, but don't know how it is where you are.
In the UK, all goods remain the property of the owner/sender until paid for in full, so long as it is stated on the T&C's.
Old 18-02-2009, 06:47   #24

Broadblue, having gone into liquidation, have now been purchased by the original owners- Broadblue furnishing. They are going to continue production.
Old 18-02-2009, 10:21   #25

That is a real shame. I think BB make a lovely boat.

It is a 'carriage trade' item however, and I reckon this will hit all the boat builders and suppliers.

I met them at the Southampton boat show and they're a good bunch of people. I hope they can make a go of it!!
Old 18-02-2009, 11:40   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb beware View Post
Broadblue, having gone into liquidation, have now been purchased by the original owners- Broadblue furnishing. They are going to continue production.
What is going on here, all sounds a bit underhand if you ask me.
Old 18-02-2009, 13:08   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskoka View Post
That is a real shame. I think BB make a lovely boat.

It is a 'carriage trade' item however, and I reckon this will hit all the boat builders and suppliers.

I met them at the Southampton boat show and they're a good bunch of people. I hope they can make a go of it!!
After the S'oton Show both 'good people' were sacked leaving one. He apparently has not been rehired by the new owners; they have started on the right track!!
Old 18-02-2009, 20:12   #28

Quote:
What is going on here, all sounds a bit underhand if you ask me.
BB was formed after a furniture manufacturing company hired some ex-Prout executives and bought the Prout molds. I expect that BB has failed as an independent entity and has been acquired by the same furniture company.

Let's face it, if Toyota etc. are getting hammered then it's a sure bet that luxury items like boats are on the skids. I'd anticipate a lot more bankruptcies.

Anecdotally, we're refitting our boat for an extended cruise and I can't believe the service we're getting - emails are being replied to within 12 hours (often by several people), parts are shipped immediately and prices dropped at the merest hint of a request. So, I'm doing my part to keep the marine industry on its knees (as opposed to face down in the dirt!).
Old 19-02-2009, 01:14   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskoka View Post
BB was formed after a furniture manufacturing company hired some ex-Prout executives and bought the Prout molds. I expect that BB has failed as an independent entity and has been acquired by the same furniture company. I had always thought that BB were still under the umbrella of the Broadblue furniture company, thanks for that

Let's face it, if Toyota etc. are getting hammered then it's a sure bet that luxury items like boats are on the skids. I'd anticipate a lot more bankruptcies. Yes things are going to get a lot worse, sorry for being so pessimistic.

Anecdotally, we're refitting our boat for an extended cruise and I can't believe the service we're getting - emails are being replied to within 12 hours (often by several people), parts are shipped immediately and prices dropped at the merest hint of a request. So, I'm doing my part to keep the marine industry on its knees (as opposed to face down in the dirt!).
Cameron, that is interesting regarding the parts prices and improved service and I am glad you are keeping the marine industry on it's knees, but that does not help with my envy over your pride and joy of the Lavezzi, I am still saving to me one.
Ian
Old 19-02-2009, 23:12   #30

Quote:
Cameron, that is interesting regarding the parts prices and improved service and I am glad you are keeping the marine industry on it's knees, but that does not help with my envy over your pride and joy of the Lavezzi, I am still saving to me one.
Ian
It all started a few years ago with a picture of a catamaran taped to the fridge!!!

Tags
Broadblue, lagoon, lagoon 380