Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2017, 13:24   #1

Ferro-cement worth raising?

I know of a ferro-cement boat (OK, it's mine lol) that sank in a shallow bay because the hatch was open and no one came back for it while I was unable to do so. This has been in 20-30 feet of water for 10 years (cold water, British Columbia). My question would be is it worth raising? I have someone who could get it up and on land, that's not a money issue. All I am concerned with is what the water did to the hull. The hull was in tact when it sank. It's a large, over 50 foot boat. It would cost me a lot of money to just find a big hull or big used boat again. Just wondering if anyone has any idea what condition the hull (ferro-cement) would be in after this long underwater.
usbappz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 13:41   #2

Boat: Gulfstar 50
Re: Ferro-cement worth raising?

No it's not
SV.Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 13:56   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

After 10+ years I would recommend letting the fish keep their residences. Put your money into something that is still on top of the water.
Old 12-07-2017, 13:59   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

There are many 50+ ft boats on Craigslist and in boat yards just waiting for a new owner. What are you looking for in a boat? What do you want to do with said vessel?
Old 12-07-2017, 14:16   #5

Boat: J/42

Depends... is your name anywhere on the boat or associated with it in government paperwork anywhere?
If so, it might be cheaper to dispose of it yourself than to let government contractors do it, and then bill you for what they claim that it cost.

If not, it's part of the environment now. Habitat.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 14:22   #6

Boat: 41' yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by usbappz View Post
...because the hatch was open and no one came back for it while I was unable to do so.
Thats some impressive blame redirection there.

chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 15:44   #7

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

I agree with all of the above boats and Toddster in particularly. In Oz there are many ferro hulls or partly complete boats available for nothing (advertised as give away). Complete boats with engine sand sails are available for $5k to $20k. There is the occasional ferro yacht for sale for $60 to $100k, but I guess that is the value to the present owner, not the value the markets assigns to that.

The following may be a modus operandi for you:
- Check what it would cost to get it on land if more than little over nothing, forget project.
- Calculate roughly what it would cost to make it usable: carpentry of complete interior, sails, engine, rigging, electrics, plumbing, tankage, steering, electronics, soft furnishings, groundtackle, paint, antifoul, ...... If more than $20k, abandon project.
- Still serious about it? Haul it out, clean the hull, inspect that the steel in the hull has not been exposed, and if so, cut your losses now, ditch the lot.......

I am sure you get picture.

I had a ferro boat myself for many years, and worked on many others as well, mostly good and sound ferro boats. But the project as you described, does not make (financial) sense.
Old 12-07-2017, 15:44   #8

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Structurally the hull may be just fine. Depends on whether stainless mesh was used in construction, how well and seamlessly your cement was cured, whether there were any cracks or leaks at the time of sinking. Etc. It might sit there in perfect condition for a century, just gathering barnacles and seaweed, in need a of serious pressure washing. . . .

Or, if it was a crumbling rust-streaked mess when she went down, then surely you should let it stay.
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 16:00   #9

If it was made using the Roman Concrete method.. then absolutely.. The thing is going to be even stronger then ever...

But... modern concrete? no way.. let the fish keep the crumbling carp.

There was actually an interesting story about Roman Concrete:
Why Roman Concrete Endured Thousands of Years of Seawater Pounding, While Ours Can’t

<SNIP>
Our existing concrete structures don’t withstand ... weathering very well; the lifespan of a well-built modern concrete structure is measured in decades (not counting major repair or rebuilding efforts). In contrast, there are Roman piers and breakwaters now more than 2,000 years old that aren’t just still holding up — in many cases, they’re stronger now than they were the day they were built. That’s according to this 2017 study, led by Marie Jackson of the University of Utah. It’s a follow-up to an earlier study in 2014, also led by Jackson at UC Berkeley in 2014 (both studies collaborated with the Advanced Light Source at the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory).
<SNIP>
EzzyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2017, 14:34   #10

Thanks to all for your input. I'll let the fish keep it Financially it's not worth it at all, just would have been nice.
usbappz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais, ferro, men