Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2019, 21:31   #1

Boat: Eastward ho 24, Downeaster 32, scarab sprint 18
Suffocate while Living aboard a coverd boat

Is there a monitor that's affordable(cheap) that monitors oxygen levels? My boats coverd on the hard it's got a plastic dome cover on it. The covers got a door and 2 4"x4" vents. I plan on sleeping on the boat while it's covered . I've done it before but I feel claustrophobic. The boats on the hard is there a serious threat of the o2 filling up the boat and killing me? Is there a monitor I can only seem to find a propane alarm. I'd sleep better knowing I'm not gonna suffocate in my sleep. Should I be concerned
Eastward ho 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2019, 21:58   #2

Boat: Island Packet 40
Re: Suffocate while Living aboard a coverd boat

You have two potential problems, oxygen deprivation and carbon dioxide poisoning. Proper ventilation is your only practical solution.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2019, 05:43   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

There are numerous "room oxygen deficiency monitors", none of which (I've found) are cheap.

https://www.google.com/search?client...iency+monitors

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2019, 05:49   #4

Boat: MacGregor 26

It’s not medical advice, but you should be fine. Any chance to stick a little fan blowing air into it from somewhere? Drink a lot at night, when you get up to pee lift a flap for a few mins and cycle the air

https://iqpowertools.com/air-how-much-do-i-breathe/
Hoosierdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2019, 06:15   #5

Boat: Valiant 40

I think the likelihood of starving yourself of oxygen in a shrink wrapped boat is nil. You’re going to want airflow in and out to keep moisture down and you’ll be leaving the door open when you can.

If you’re heating the boat be extremely careful. I know a guy who got carbon monoxide poisoning on the hard from the exhaust if his Espar heater blowing back into his boat through the companionway.
Old 27-02-2019, 07:19   #6

Maybe instead of monitoring oxygen measure CO2

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DFRFXD3...1-1d588be0369a
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2019, 07:44   #7

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

If this was a real problem, hundred if not more northern climate live aboard s would not be “with us” now.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2019, 07:51   #8

People sleep in motorhomes or cars all the time. A car is a lot smaller and tighter than a sliding hatch. Crack a port!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2019, 09:05   #9

Boat: 21' trailer sailor & 8' sailing dinghy

Without knowing all the details of the OP's heating and ventilation system it is hard to offer grounded advice. As minimally described I would be quite afraid to stay there too.

It would be a different story electric oil-filler radiator versus unvented propane 'sunflower' versus a righteous heater with an exhaust stack and intake for combustion air.

Also, detectors for smoke or CO or flammable gas or combinations thereof are not hard to find at home improvement stores and camping supply stores. I want to say they have been mandatory on RV's for a while now. I am planning to update my vintage RV with CO and flammable gas alarms.
Old 27-02-2019, 09:32   #10

Boat: Pearson 10M

Eastward ho 24 you could pick up a finger clip oxygenation monitor at any pharmacy, it measures the oxygen (sPO2) in your blood, combined with a combo CO / smoke detector you'll be able to get some idea of your situation.
guyrj33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2019, 10:19   #11

Boat: Westcoast Bayrunner 20 Fishing Skiff

Remember to feed and water your canary. Ventilate, insulate, and dry the air if necessary as the body gives off a lot of moisture. Use CO2 / CO smoke alarm and the canary. Use a fan heater blowing fresh heated air from outside to inside. Canary will stop singing if it croaks, and you might or might not get a headache or feel groggy. Hook up with the daughter of a Coal Miner. Worry about fumes from mold. Can be bad stuff.
Crusty Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2019, 10:26   #12
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"People sleep in motorhomes or cars all the time."
Not to disagree, but IIRC it was all the way back in the 70's or 80's that the US government passed a change for passenger cars. If the ignition is on, even in the "accessory" position, the ventilation fan MUST run at low speed. So, you park your warm toasty car on a winter day, leave the radio on for a minute to listen to a song, and there's suddenly an icy breeze in the car. Or worse, a hot muggy one ruining your cool cabin in the summer.
Apparently it isn't all paranoia.

Regarding the OP's question, like they say about the price of a yacht, if you have to ask, you can't afford one. You need to monitor oxygen levels, carbon monoxide levels, and carbon dioxide levels. Your body normally does this and unless you've got carbon monoxide problems ("the silent killer" prevented by a $30 detector) your body should wake you with a nasty headache or other way of telling you to get some air.

Or, you do like the coal miners and sewer workers and commercial storage tank inspectors, and buy a "mixed gas" safety monitor. You might get one for a grand.

Might not be time to move into a boat until after you're more familiar with the realities of it all.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2019, 10:40   #13

Boat: Westcoast Bayrunner 20 Fishing Skiff

170 units of science and 20 steady years work on vessels. Tongue in Cheek regarding the canary. Know nothing but what is essential. Difference between could and should and will. Many miners dead from particulates and some from gasses of all kinds. Rumors on the docks from boat owners keeps the mysteries going. When I nap I crack the window to let my gas out and air in.
Crusty Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2019, 11:28   #14
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

The canary is actually a good idea, but requires someone to be awake all the time (as coal miners were) to monitor the canary. On a boat...you'd probably have to suspend the canary above three or four hungry cats, so when the canary silently toppled over in the night, the resulting catfight over the remains would wake you.

Or suspend it over a nice loud gong, if you're short on cats?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2019, 12:54   #15

I did this on a Westerly I used to own and I took the hoses off the seacocks and left them open as well as leaving a window cracked slightly. I was using a woodstove so I needed airflow but I stayed warm and had no condensation issues.
fish53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, living aboard