Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2017, 14:04   #1

Boat: Freedom 30 cat ketch
Budget rig hardware

hehehe
For all budget and/or cost-conscious sailors out there!

I'm installing solar panels on the coach roof. This means I have to redirect the lines coming for the main mast; 6 of them (as a minimum).
(For context, I have a Freedom 30 Cat Ketch. All running lines from the main run over the cabin roof to the cockpit)

Looked at different options, but when I calculated the budget for each, I nearly had a heart attack!! In blocks alone to accommodate 12 mm lines (need 3 blocks per line X 6 lines), it was almost GBP 1000!!

So.... came up with the design below. All components sourced on eBay. I'll provide the links below.

Click image for larger version

Name:	block1.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	150272

Name:	Block2.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	150273

#1 shackle, 316 SS, 8 mm dia pin - GBP 1.90 per unit
#2 ball bearings; 22 od X 8 id X 7mm wide - SS 316 with ceramic balls - GBP 2.29 per unit - Used for many things, but mostly for roller skaters...
#2 SS 316 washers, 8mm ID - GBP 6.20 for a bag of 100 = 6.2 pence per unit
#1 SS (I don't know the grade) 10 mm cable tie - which I had already, so not tallying...

Name:	Block3.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	150274

.... oh.... and my labour... a couple of hours of creative design, 3 hours overall of material procurement on the computer (with leadtimes ranging from 48 hours to 2 weeks), and 8.5 mins of assembly per unit. Total cost per unit: GBP 4.25. Built 20 to have two extra/spare, so total cost of blocks reduced from just below GBP 1000, to 85 quid, including postage. Less than one tenth

Now, as to fitness for purpose:

Pros:
1) small(ish)... certainly compared to the 12 mm block commercially available.
2) can accommodate lines up to 14 mm dia
3) Negligible friction/resistance
4) Cero maintenance - if salt crystals get inside the bearings, wash with freshwater
5) Operational ratings - Ball bearings rated to 90 kg by manufacturer - more than enough for my purposes
6) in case of breakage/malfunction, 16 mins to disassemble. replace, and reassemble, plus one allen key - only tool required
7) they don't look too bad either

Cons:
1) can't think of one, really....

I think Larry Pardey would be proud of me...

Rafa
seadago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2017, 15:37   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Budget rig hardware

No, you need a sheave. Oh and the eye strap is too thin.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2017, 22:15   #3

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Concur on the eyestrap comment. As to needing a sheave, I'm undecided. Some of it depends on how sharp a turn the line is making, & the load on it. Especially given the radii of low friction rings. Which is what I'd suggest using if $ is an issue. But in not knowing the proposed deck hardware layout, as well as other possible options for same, it's tough to evaluate things. Got pics?

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2017, 03:47   #4

Boat: Freedom 30 cat ketch

Thanks Gents for your comments

No pictures of the overall layout yet. Will take this w.e. and post.

Re eye strap, agree may be too thin. Not essential though. The D end of the shackle may be also attached with dyneema rope directly to whatever anchor point it will have on the deck. Quite a few commercial blocks have this arrangement.

Re grooved sheaves, for fiber lines (different if metal rope/wire) IMO they always add contact surface and generate additional friction. Rope will deform anyway under tension. But I agree the radius will have an influence.

I don't have an ideological position on this. In the end it's something very personal and debatable. Purpose of the post was to show (what I thought it was) an ingenious, bucket-and-spade technology, fit-for-pourpose, inexpensive solution to a fairly common scenario we all face at some point; i.e. needing a block somewhere, and not having one at hand.
seadago is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
budget, hardware