Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Propellers & Drive Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2017, 06:38   #1

1974 mercruiser 233 - what is this & how do i hook it up?

Hi gents -

I have this 74 searay, and this tube thing has been sitting like this since we got the boat in Feb -

The boat steers - although its a bit heavy when underway! I have the trim tab out to the right and its pretty straight - but man Im wondering if I can get this connected - The hoses / etc are there.

Not sure how it works since its not connected to the steering arm below it - alot of power steering units are connected together -

thanks!
fstarocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 08:10   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: 1974 mercruiser 233 - what is this & how do i hook it up?

Take another photo of high resolution further out. I could be for power steering or an autopilot. Does the engine have a hydraulic (power steering pump) mounted ?
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 08:19   #3

Hi sorry for that - does this help?

No auto pilot i dont think? although there was a wire on the compass! Not sure if that is for a light or something else?

Old 02-06-2017, 08:32   #4

Your steering looks like the cable drive type I think. Not sure what that thing above is. It appears to be a hydraulic cylinder attached to a drive of some sort... so It could be an old autopilot, more likely it's an old trim tab pump unit...?? do your trim tabs work? Are they electric or hydraulic?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 08:39   #5

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

I'm stumped.

At this point I'd start by tracing the terminus of everything attached to that cylinder.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 09:11   #6

hi - trim works yes.. electric. The side chaps also work - nothing seemed NOT to work with that cylinder as is..

I would have thought its some kind of steering assist but its not connected to anything steering related at all - the pulley on the motor has a currently empty belt groove for a ps pump.. this thing is so light on gas i wd consider installing something.. it gets a little dangerous in rough weather with hard steering esp when the boat swerves on heavy chop..

my first i/o so not sure what everything does.. the hoses that screw in are lying there (2 of).. but i can see nowhere for them to go other than t each other (which doesnt make sense)..
Old 03-06-2017, 00:16   #7

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

That's the original trim sender. Probably the PO changed it to a newer style trim system which uses a self-contained pump and actuator (actually the pump just reverses rotation).

You should be able to add power steering, which would involve adding an actuator, power steering pump, power steering cooler, lines and belt (the crank pulley is usually already there.

Before going that (fairly expensive) route, you might want to check the condition of the steering cable (kinks, tight bends or abrasion that has allowed corrosion to form inside) or the helm itself for corrosion or lack of lubrication.

o
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 09:34   #8

I hate those cable drives. They are terrible. When I had a similar boat I bought a hydraulic ram and pump, but I never got it installed before I sold the boat. Not cheap.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser