Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2015, 14:38   #16

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 11.6m Rapa Nui II
Re: Any recommendations for an auto pilot?

Raymarine has had several name changes and it confusingly used to be called Autohelm & Raytheon. All your stuff is Raymarine using SeaTalk 1 interface, so with your set up, I cannot see why you would not use a Raymarine pilot, it would harder not too. You already have the compass so add the computer, control head and actuator and you're in business all using the same interface and then you can autopilot to compass heading or wind. I have a very similar setup on our FP Athena with ST60 instruments ST6002 head, forget what computer, and a type 1 12V DC actuator and that lot has done 12 years and 40,000 miles without failure
Rapanui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2015, 15:34   #17

Boat: 2001 Hunter 460

Thanks, when I take possession of the boat I will be doing some more looking.
tucamonday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2015, 16:30   #18

Boat: 1995 hunter 430

sounds like you need to spend some money....you will most likley need a rotorty drive...type 2....(2 boat bucks).....you might as well get a brand new autopilot from raymarine...the EV400 sail....(3 boat bucks)...then your set and you have upgraded your boat (for at least 1 year, untill something new comes along}......just a note, I did the same thing last year
Navicula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2015, 18:27   #19

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned a wind vane yet. Non-electrical, dependable, field fixable.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2015, 04:37   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned a wind vane yet. Non-electrical, dependable, field fixable.
Wind vane works when there is wind! for motoring... AP is the ticket.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2015, 04:46   #21

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

A windvane is going to be a huge mounting challenge on a Hunter 460, and then it will be a huge usage challenge getting it to work decently behind all the rear windage on that boat.

And he would give up the use of his arch for the dinghy and solar panels, as well as not being able to use the sugar scoop for access to the water.

A windvane may tickle the purist in him, but if that part of him exists, I don't think he would have chosen this boat.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2015, 09:26   #22
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucamonday View Post
Okay, on the issue of what is listed in the sellers listing I am a little confused myself, it does indeed state "autohelm" but it also states that a autopilot should be added. I have attached some pictures of the equipment from the listing, any help would be appreciated. As for my plans, with this boat coastal cruising and a trip to the Caribbean, I will be sailing with my GF and we both are novice so I am looking for a system that can be depended on. As far as price, I am a value man more that overall cost. I would like to find a product that goes well with what I have and will be a one time solution.
OK, so you have received a bunch of confusing responses, some with errors, others referring to obsolete, and in some cases very old (more than 15 years) equipment.

Hopefully I can clarify.

You have a Raytheon GPS Chartplotter, and Raytheon (Autohelm Series) Depth, Speed, and Wind Instrument.

There is no auto pilot display shown in your picture.

The auto pilot I would recommend for your boat, is the "current" Raymarine EV-400. You would choose the drive unit (linear, hydraulic, or rotary) best suited to your existing steering system. (A Raymarine Certified Installer can tell you on vessel inspection which drive will work best.)

This unit will integrate seamlessly with your existing instruments, with just a Seatalk 1 cable. (It will also be capable of integrating easily should you update to a newer Raymarine MFD, Radar, and /or AIS unit down the road.

(PS, if you can afford new autopilot, that is what I recommend. The reason the old one was replaced by the seller, could be due to a general upgrade, or because that unit was giving the owner trouble. A new Raymarine unit has a 2 year warranty, 3 years if you register your warranty on-line.

If you get it installed by a Certified Raymarine Installer (recommended) and request the installation be "certified for on-board warranty", you can get the unit serviced on your boat during the warranty period, wherever you are(some restrictions apply).

Without this, if you have a problem during the warranty period, you have to remove the unit, pack it up, and ship it away, wait, get it shipped back, install it, and recommission it at your expense.

Some will likely argue that if you install it yourself, you will know it better. I counter that if you install it yourself, you will not get as good an installation as by a Raymarine Certified Installer. I understand you are an ex Avionics tech.; I was an Electronic Engineering Technician for 30 years before taking the Raymarine Certified Installer training. Prior to that, I never knew how much I didn't know about marine electrical and electronics systems, (despite having worked on them personally and professionally for 20 years).

The better solution is to have a Raymarine Certified Installer put it in and ask to watch, and have them explain how everything works.

PS, if someone claims to be a Raymarine Certified Installer, ask to see their card before allowing them on your boat. If they are not carrying their "Raymarine Certified Installer" card in their wallet at all times, they are not likely a Raymarine Certified Installer.

If you go on the Raymarine website, you can find the Raymarine Certified Installer nearest you.

So how important is this? Read cruising books, blogs, and magazine stories and many will have a tale of a failed auto pilot that caused all kinds of grief.

A properly installed and maintained auto pilot, should be one of the most reliable systems on your vessel, right up there with chartplotter, radar, and VHF, that I would also recommend be installed by a competent professional if you are really going to count on the equipment.

Hope this helps,

Rod Brandon
About Sheen Marine
Certified Raymarine Installer / Service Provider
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2015, 16:33   #23

Boat: 2001 Hunter 460

You are correct. I have taken possession of the boat and there is no autopilot. Can you name some specific models I should look for? My understanding is that the chart plotter that is installed does have the course computer, is that correct? Thanks,
tucamonday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2015, 18:40   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucamonday View Post
Hi folks,

I have a 2001 Hunter 460 under contract and it does not have an auto pilot. Current electronics are, Raytheon RC 530 Chart plotter w/Raystar 120 Antenna,
Raymarine Autohelm ST60, depth, wind, speed and Raytheon 53DSC VHF, Magnetic compass. I am guessing that what I am getting is the original bare bones equip. I would like to hear some suggestions on what auto pilot I should install, used or new? Just an FYI, I am USMC trained avionics tech and very capable with any aspect of trades, I plan on doing this myself, not looking for suggestions on "if I should do it" just what products would be recommended for a proper job. Thanks

start saving for a nav system too. I doubt that 120 works any more. if so not for long. that is ~10 years old and the internal battery will be dead.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2015, 19:30   #25

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

Post #8 had it right.
Get an ST6002 off eBay. Get an S2 or S3 Course Computer (no its not in the 6002)
and get a strong actuator, linear or rotary. Feed the Course computer with oversize wires.
You will still need a Rudder Reference Transducer and a Fluxgate compass.
Go for used stuff of the same generation as the rest of your gear.
Do it yourself, a Ray* authorized installer is only authorized to sell you new stuff, including upgrading everything you now have as "retired" units.
The CC, Compass and RRT used to be called a "Core-Pack" so look for that on eBay too.
Try google.com and put this in the search 'raymarine autopilot site:craigslist.org'

Tags
hunter, men