Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2017, 13:22   #1

Boat: Allied 39
Question on using Toplac Paint

Hi Guys This is the email I sent to the company but have had no response yet. I am sure some of you may have an answer.

I have a couple questions about painting with Toplac.

First I have painted with International products and Toplac many times before.

Currently in Tahiti. Some limitation to product availability here. Meaning choices

Conditions
Temps are now upper 70's to mid 80's. No wind, Dry But when I first purchased the paint in the summer temps were upper 80's and low 90's. We always paint early early in am when cool, dry and not in direct sun.

Recently we painted a flat surface area 4' x 7'. Paint can was new. Filtered and thinned about 10% using #6 thinner. The paint flashed off so fast i could not keep a wet edge. We applied with foam roller and tipped off with good brush. The results were terrible and I sanded it off and tried again yesterday. Same results!!!

Number 6 thinner is used when its very warm to slow the drying and allow the paint to flow (from the instructions on the can)

I was extremely puzzled at the quick drying of the paint as we repeatedly added more thinner when we were painting.

Can you give me your thoughts and suggestions especially with using #6 thinner. It acted almost like an accelerator.

Thank You

Chuck

Tags
paint