Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2014, 18:12   #1

Best California Delta Marinas

I started reading a thread in the "making a living forum" on best CA Delta marinas for live-aboards and the subject of the insurance required for marina residence came up. No one gave any idea as to how much 3rd party liability insurance costs. I was surprised to hear about the experience requirements. I have owned 5 boats so far and I have never had any trouble insuring them or needing to provide "proof of experience". My first husband had professional licenses so experience was a given, but my second was a weekend sailor on big lakes and we had no problem. Also, I don't want to go anywhere - I just want to live on the water tied to the dock. I lived aboard a 36' Atkins ketch in Sausalito for 3 years and loved it, but I admit I was much younger then. We sailed quite a bit, but my taste at this point sort of runs to Chris Craft because of the roominess. The people you meet on the water are also much more interesting than those you meet in a co-op or condo situation.

I actually have been considering boats with non-functioning engines. They are priced less than those with engines, but I can understand this might present a problem with marina management. Somewhere I read you have to have a functioning engine and I can think of all kinds of reasons why. I would however like to know if this is common requirement. I suppose where you are counts - maybe up in the wilds of Washington this might be waived, but who knows. I would prefer to be in the Delta. I grew up in Stockton and then moved to the Bay Area/SF and Marin.

I would like to hear more about Delta marinas if anyone can recommend several live-aboard marinas. Any boat I buy is going to present a good appearance so that's a plus.

Thanks for any advice.

Renne
renne2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2014, 21:49   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34
Re: Best California Delta Marinas

Generally all the marinas in the SF bay/ Delta require liveaboard boats to have working engines. Most perfer that you are able to show that the boat actually moves. Though with that said, in most marinas you will find a few boats without working engines.

As to liveaboard marina's in the delta, really you just have to look around. Buying a boat already at a delta marina would be a great way to get into one.

I think pittsburg and antiock might have space, but they also have amtrak and heavy train traffic right at the marina's. Same for Martinez. Plus that heavy industrial look between pittsburg and antiock, but cheap-er. Glen cove near Benicia (not really the delta and not near anything) may have a liveaboard spot or two. Benicia is nice, but full most the time. Might try owl harbor or others around the delta loop area..

In the central bay, Marina bay in Richmond will have a few liveaboard slips. But they are picky about the motor working and its Richmond. Though the gang bangers mostly stay east of 580. I was there three years and never had a problem.

I like the Delta marina in Rio Vista. A nice small friendly marina in a nice town. But it looks pretty full slip wise. But a pretty location.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2014, 00:45   #3

Boat: 42ft CHB Ponderosa

We have our boat at the Stockton downtown marina. It's a nice place and close to restaurants and the theater. Our boat is a 42 footer in a 50 foot slip. It costs $400/mo. Electric is $25 if you go over so many kW. There are liveaboards there. I don't know if there is an extra fee for that. Our insurance thru boat us and we had to add the marina as additional insured but there is no extra cost for that. I do believe the boat has to be in working condition.
Old 20-01-2014, 06:20   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Renne.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2014, 18:01   #5

Thanks for your thoughts and ideas on my query re delta marinas. I'm currently combing the delta map of marinas online. That Delta Marina in Isleton is certainly pretty, but no response yet to my email about livaboards. If I learn anything that seems useful I'll post.

Renne
renne2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2014, 09:45   #6

Boat: Roughwater, pilot house, 58 ft

Several year ago on Trawler forum a member sent me a SF Bay and Delta marina that I can not find. We might move the Eagle to warmer climates and the bay area is high on the list. We are think the delta area as the water is brackish and might be cheaper.

The Everett marina is in the industrial area, has a rail road switching station across the road, and we are moored on the commercial dock so we are use to it.

Do they will publish a marina directly?
rw58ph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2014, 09:53   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Here you go...Marinas

and
Delta boating, fishing, marinas, yachting | San Francisco Bay
Old 28-01-2014, 09:59   #8

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Marinas

This site lists the marinas and has some direct links to the individual marinas' websites; however, most all have websites which can be found by Googling the individual marina.

Oh ... I see Sailorchic has already posted the site.
Old 28-01-2014, 10:25   #9

Boat: Roughwater, pilot house, 58 ft

Thanks, just whst I was looking for.

We are planning on taking the motor home this fall/winter down the coast to get a general feel of the areas. Not sure were we want to retire yet? We will be snow birds for a couple of years as we want to get a feel/idea of trhe area before we actully move.
rw58ph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2014, 11:41   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rw58ph View Post
Thanks, just whst I was looking for.

We are planning on taking the motor home this fall/winter down the coast to get a general feel of the areas. Not sure were we want to retire yet? We will be snow birds for a couple of years as we want to get a feel/idea of trhe area before we actully move.
The Delta Marina in Rio Vista also has RV parking right on the Sacramento river. Very nice location and friendly folks. Of course plenty of RV options in the delta area too.
Old 09-03-2014, 18:40   #11

Boat: CL52

Bruno s island yacht harbor. Near isleton, ca . Has space, 1/2 the price of the bay area.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Captain Bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 14:29   #12

This topic has my curiosity peaked.
I'm wondering about your thoughts with regards to the idea of owning a small marina in the Delta (not far from the eastern portion of the bay) that could cater to sailboat liveaboards and partial liveaboards as well as a part-time RV crowd. Does anyone think this could be a sustaining business? Is the demand for low cost, top notch facilities there?

I'm new to the board and to sail boats, having just purchased my first. I'm an almost-former silicon valley tech professional looking to make a drastic change in careers.

Thanks in advance.
DanSFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 19:07   #13

Yes , I think it's possible. Except for the 'caters to livaboards' part. There is a marina for sale on Brannan Island that has a lot of potential.

Old 10-08-2014, 19:09   #14

Livaboards are state regulated to 10 % of total slips. Out of every 100 livaboards up there, I would think you would only want 30 of them at the most at your marina.

Old 10-08-2014, 19:13   #15

Owl harbor is under relatively new ownership and is doing pretty well. They put a lot into it and it shows. It is becoming quite popular. If your serious, you should check a few of them out.

Tags
cal, california, delta, marinas