Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2019, 17:37   #1

Boat: Groupe Finot 42 (Steel)
Bluewater Cruiser sailing THROUGH!?

Good evening guys!
I am a younger solo cruiser thats sailed my 42ft. from S. Amboy, NJ to Key West, with plans of finding (some) hurricane safety in Boca del Toro and/or ABC islands. I will cross to Isla Mujeres for 330m crossing. My question is, if I only heave-to/anchor for one night, MUST I CHECK-IN with all the different fees and rigamarole? If I am many miles out heaving-to (not in the Yucatan Straight) with Q Flag hoisted, could it be doable through countries I must surpass? I have an electric motor and can have enough provisions to never need land for a while. Thank you for being kind and helping me through your experience & comunity participation.

Sincerely,
Eric
Sailing Outward Bound
UneeklyCommon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 18:43   #2

Re: Bluewater Cruiser sailing THROUGH!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UneeklyCommon View Post
Good evening guys!
I am a younger solo cruiser thats sailed my 42ft. from S. Amboy, NJ to Key West, with plans of finding (some) hurricane safety in Boca del Toro and/or ABC islands. I will cross to Isla Mujeres for 330m crossing. My question is, if I only heave-to/anchor for one night, MUST I CHECK-IN with all the different fees and rigamarole? If I am many miles out heaving-to (not in the Yucatan Straight) with Q Flag hoisted, could it be doable through countries I must surpass? I have an electric motor and can have enough provisions to never need land for a while. Thank you for being kind and helping me through your experience & comunity participation.

Sincerely,
Eric
Sailing Outward Bound
If you anchor, you must (technically) clear in.

If you heave-to (eg no contact with the bottom or shore at all), then you do not, so long as you are 'in transit' thru the waters. You do NOT fly the Q flag, because that is you requesting health clearance.

While hove-to you are still 'technically' "underway", not stopped.
Breaking Waves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 19:01   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: Bluewater Cruiser sailing THROUGH!?

UNCLOS (UN Convention on the Law of the sea):

SECTION 3. INNOCENT PASSAGE IN THE TERRITORIAL SEA

SUBSECTION A. RULES APPLICABLE TO ALL SHIPS

Article 17 Right of innocent passage
Subject to this Convention, ships of all States, whether coastal or land-locked, enjoy the right of innocent passage through the territorial sea.

Article 18 Meaning of passage
1.Passage means navigation through the territorial sea for the purpose of:
(a) traversing that sea without entering internal waters or calling at a roadstead or port facility outside internal waters; or
(b) proceeding to or from internal waters or a call at such roadstead or port facility.
2. Passage shall be continuous and expeditious. However, passage includes stopping and anchoring, but only in so far as the same are incidental to ordinary navigation or are rendered necessary by force majeure or distressor for the purpose of rendering assistance to persons, ships or aircraft in danger or distress.

Whether stopping/anchoring for a rest is "incidental to ordinary navigation" is a moot point

BW is correct - do NOT fly a Q flag if you are not intending to check in.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bluewater, cruise, cruiser, sail, sailing, water