Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Boats For Sale and Wanted
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2018, 07:33   #1

40-55' Bluewater Boat Wanted - Ready to Buy

Back looking again. I thought I had found my boat, but sadly had to pass on it due to a major fiberglass fuel tank replacement risk. Was a beautiful Whitby 55, but too much risk and not enough refit budget to tackle it.

Looking for a 40-55' true bluewater cruiser. 1980+, Fiberglass or Aluminum construction only. Prefer <7' draft. Medium to heavy displacement. Sea kindly. Glassed in full or modified fin keel. Skeg or keel mounted rudder. I prefer cutter rigged ketches, but will consider cutters next, and then traditional rigged sloops. Prefer solid glass construction over cored hulls and decks unless they are currently dry and have solid fiberglass under and around all fittings. Large tankage is critical. Would like a genset and AC or the space to put them in. 3 cabins would be ideal. 2 heads minimum. Storage+++! Willing to upgrade the electronics. Spars and step(s) must be in good shape. Prefer updated chainplates and standing rigging. Willing to upgrade running rig and sails if needed, but would like some life left. Hard dodger preferred. Bimini. Arch with davits and solar panels or location for solar. Low engine hours on engine and genset.

I'm partial to the following designers: Bob Perry, Ted Brewer, Bill Shaw, Ted Hood, Bill Dixen, William Garden, Robert Ladd, Gary Mull, Sparkman & Stephens, William Crealock, German Frers, Ted Gozzard, F. Michael Kaufman, Doug Peterson, Bruce Roberts (depends on many variables), Vince & Richard Lazarra (a few models only).

I know my bluewater boats hence the list of above designers. I am in Boston, but will consider boats as far south as Trinidad or as West as the great lakes. West coast would be tough as it's not easy for me to get it back to Boston quickly. If you would deliver at your own expense I might consider it, but I would not take ownership of the boat until it arrived safely.

If you have something interesting, let me know. PM me please.

Max asking price $150k or less. Willing to do some project work depending upon what needs refitting. I am a cabinetmaker and engineer.

Save the sailing experience questions as you won't appreciate my response to judgey people who make blind assumptions about strangers. Not my first rodeo!
Shawn0900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 17:30   #2

Boat: Shannon 43
Re: 40-55' Bluewater Boat Wanted - Ready to Buy

If you haven't bought a boat yet, would you be interested in a Shannon 43 located in North Carolina?
ddjudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 17:53   #3

I have a 1971 very rare 43 Irwin solid glass 2 heads ac ge set water maker new sails .Light head sail great for the trip to the south pacific which this boat has done last year from Panama and we had to turn back from Tahiti .She is a proven champion.@89.000 This boat has been well equipped to sail the world lots of extra spares including a extra autopilot If you are serious and intrested my address in
panamadredge@yahoo.com
philipmelanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 20:17   #4

Boat: Beneteau First 456, 14m

Re Blue Water yacht wanted _ready to buy.

I have a Beneteau 456 German Frers design here in New Zealand. Have been sailing offshore for the last fourteen years. If interested I would be happy help you if you need crew to sale to where ever. Listed under Beneteau 456 Ocean going yacht for sale.
piedamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 11:21   #5

Boat: Valiant 40

There’s a 1978 Valiant 40 for sale in Annapolis for @ $30k which looks to be in remarkably good condition. That leaves you a lot of room for refitting and upgrades. It’s on sailboatlistings.
Old 12-09-2018, 12:46   #6

Boat: Passport 40

I've been watching Cookie Monster (I assume it was it, since there's really not many if any Whitby 55s) for a year now. Not that I want it ... after owning a 40ft sailboat for 2 years, believe me; smaller is better! 55 feet is a LOT of feet to maintain. Take that into account. The bigger better syndrome clashes down on you, it is not true unless you REALLY need the extra space (want to take multiple people out with privacy such as chartering, in which case ,you are probably better off with a Cat!).

Im curious what drew you away from that boat, from the pictures it looks gorgeous. A fuel tank replacement is no big deal, you can build into it a stainless tank and solder it in place (specially on a big boat like that). And you are a cabinetmaker . Other stuff you noticed (just curious).

And really do take into account size is not necessarily better. Really think hard abot what you NEED, not what you think you might need.
gaucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 14:01   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Draco

Do you think to come to Turkey or Greece to have a look for sale yachts?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
finikeyachting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2018, 15:26   #8

I have a Shannon 38 pilot house cutter in good shape. 105K US. In Nova Scotia.
Te-Pah-Tu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2018, 21:57   #9

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Here's a link to a boat in the size range the OP asked about: For Sale: 47'Custom Aluminum Performance Cruiser Gary Mull Design - Page 2 - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

Its second owners were friends of ours, long ago. She sails quite well. She's a one-off, professionally built, aluminum.

Ann
Old 23-01-2019, 08:34   #10

Boat: Hunter 356

I just listed my Amel that would certainly fit the bill. Message me through the forum if interested.

https://www.boats.com/sailing-boats/...dard%20listing
FightinGravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2019, 13:11   #11

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

the OP hasn't responded since September. I suspect he has either found his boat or given up entirely.

Jim
Old 25-01-2019, 06:34   #12

1987 norseman turnkey blue water ready been around the world. It is a little more than you were looking for and much more boat. I have sailed this boat with the owner and can attest to its quality! It is in ft lauderdale being well taken care of .i can send full specs and more pics send me an email.
David allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 05:14   #13

Boat: 2001 Catalina 400 MKII
Send a message via MSN to CCR2580

I have a 2001 Catalina 400 MKII for sail. Blue water ready! Live in Charleston SC. PM me.
CCR2580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2019, 06:04   #14

Boat: 1981 51' Formosa

I have a 1981 51' Formosa center cockpit for sale. I sent a PM.
Formosa Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 09:41   #15

I’m still here Jim. Life got in my way a bit. Still looking. Ready to move on something interesting that comes along.
Shawn0900 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bluewater, boat, wanted, water