Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-12-2016, 20:33   #1

XM Satelit Radio - on sailboat?

Getting ready for a longer voyage, several months,maybe more. I was hoping to find a small personal satelite radio. Do any sailors receive their, music and news through a small satelite receiver. If so, us it working well?
Old 23-12-2016, 20:41   #2

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Re: XM Satelit Radio - on sailboat?

It depends on where your sailboat is. Look on the XM website for their coverage map.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2016, 07:57   #3

Boat: Moody 346

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne Mathieu View Post
Getting ready for a longer voyage, several months,maybe more. I was hoping to find a small personal satelite radio. Do any sailors receive their, music and news through a small satelite receiver. If so, us it working well?
Works well in the Bahamas! A real antenna is needed in southern Exumas the little button type supplied will have problems.
captd44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2016, 08:47   #4

Boat: Brewer 12.8

I got one on Amazon, a XM radio with an external antenna and had it shipped to me in the Spanish Virgins. It would not work at all I tried it again in the BVIs and still nothing. But it works fine back up in Maine, perhaps it was tuned for the northern latitudes. Check the coverage.
Bristol 29.9 #49
Stephen Fascian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2016, 08:56   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Fascian View Post
I got one on Amazon, a XM radio with an external antenna and had it shipped to me in the Spanish Virgins. It would not work at all I tried it again in the BVIs and still nothing. But it works fine back up in Maine, perhaps it was tuned for the northern latitudes. Check the coverage.
We were just down in the Caribbean sailing for a month. One of our favorite pastimes is to look for satellites in the evening. We could not find a single satellite during our month long trip when we can spot them nightly in the U.S. Our theory is that there just aren't many satellites in the Caribbean. DirectTV ,XM, and others likely don't bother to have satellite coverage in this area due to low population density or lower economic standard of living. With the Bahamas just off of Florida, they would likely have satellite coverage. Just a guess on my part!
Seaadventurers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2016, 09:26   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

OK here is the sirius websites statement about coverage
Quoted: ) Thanks to those satellites high in the sky, you can enjoy SiriusXM Satellite Radio almost anywhere - within the 48 contiguous United States, the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico (with some limitations), hundreds of miles out into the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans, the Gulf of Mexico, Caribbean Sea and the Great Lakes . (:end quote
The xm site says the exact same thing.
Old 24-12-2016, 10:01   #7

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Here is a discussion of what the coverage was before the two companies merged. I've had on-again off-again coverage with Sirius down to the VI, but worthless further south.

Panbo: The Marine Electronics Hub: Sirius vs XM, the coverage footprints
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2016, 14:18   #8

Boat: Liberty 458

XM's coverage is optimized for the continental US. I've never heard anyone having any reliable coverage of XM offshore.

A HF transceiver with an external antenna will let you receive weather faxes and shortwave radio offshore.
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2016, 19:19   #9

Boat: PDQ32

I take my portable Sirius receiver to the BVIs - it works fine as long as the antenna is able to see north.

Sent from my SM-P900 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 24-12-2016, 19:52   #10

Please research it yourself for coverage and for XM/sirus extra payment for offshore weather coverage. For me all the talk radio was great while anchored.
Sidney777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2016, 20:59   #11

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaadventurers View Post
We were just down in the Caribbean sailing for a month. One of our favorite pastimes is to look for satellites in the evening. We could not find a single satellite during our month long trip when we can spot them nightly in the U.S. Our theory is that there just aren't many satellites in the Caribbean. DirectTV ,XM, and others likely don't bother to have satellite coverage in this area due to low population density or lower economic standard of living. With the Bahamas just off of Florida, they would likely have satellite coverage. Just a guess on my part!
The XM satellites are in geostationary orbit, 22,236 miles out in space. If you can see them, your eyes are a heck of a lot better than mine.

Anyway, they point their antennas toward the USA, because nobody in South America gives a rat's backside about Howard Stern.
Bill Seal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2016, 21:15   #12

Look at Siriusxm marine. Web site says it has offshore weather package for $54.99 month and a coastal weather $30mo and inland for $12.99. BUT need more detail about the Offshore..
Sidney777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2016, 04:40   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Seal View Post
The XM satellites are in geostationary orbit, 22,236 miles out in space. If you can see them, your eyes are a heck of a lot better than mine.

Anyway, they point their antennas toward the USA, because nobody in South America gives a rat's backside about Howard Stern.
Agree with everything you said, but trust me, you CAN see them. Satellites appear in the night sky as stars as they reflect the light of the sun. The geosynchronous satellites don't move relative to the earth, so while you can see them, you can't distinguish them from a star. The other satellites that move relative to the earth show up as fast moving stars.
Seaadventurers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2016, 05:05   #14

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Where do you plan to sail?

Ive picked up Sirrius with standard gear in Central America down to Guatemala. South of there it gets dicey. In Panama...nothing.

There are high gain antennas for Sirrius/XM. I know cruisers who have used them successfully in Panama.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2016, 05:59   #15

I know they work great in the Bahamas. We love ours.

Tags
radio, sail, sailboat