Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2019, 19:00   #1

Boat: Pearson 10M
Bottom cleaning

Finally freed up some time to clean the bottom of my Pearson 10M, overdue! Got my scuba gear, a 3in plastic spackle knife, and a scrubber pad on a handle. (before you ask, I am an experienced and certified diver).

Anyway the plastic knife worked great on the mat of soft growth, but had a lot of problem with the barnacles. I was able to get most off with a smack and the butt of the knife, but the larger ones would not give up. I used soft plastic to avoid gouging the bottom, but I need a better solution. Cut up my hands through my gloves fighting those little buggers. Any suggestions for an amateur? If it matters, the bay I moor in has very low visibility.

Thanks!
sagablu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2019, 05:08   #2

Boat: Freedom 38
Re: Bottom cleaning

Sounds like you need new bottom paint. Try the metal version of the spackle knife then just work it at an angle so that it doesn't gouge the bottom. You might also want to use good diving or garden gloves. Between the barnacles and the metal scraper, I've shed a lot of blood doing other people's boats.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cleaning