Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Lithium Power Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2023, 09:48   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 40.1
New Beneteau or Jeaneau boats switching to Lithium? Any experiences?

I would absolutely love to hear from anyone with a new-ish (<4 years old) Beneteau or Jeanneau who have successfully managed a house LFP integration into their existing system without gutting the (very expensive) stock components, or at least minimized the replacement of this standard equipment with perhaps adding one or two add-on components (i.e. ext alt regulator and/or DC-DC)?

Though lithium (vs AGM) was an option with new orders I can't seem to find how or what Beneteau adds or changes in the dc system design when the lithium option was ordered. Though a very expensive upgrade option ($3k+) I'm assuming Beneteau is not changing much if anything in the existing design other than the batteries themselves (?).

This system (3 year old Beneteau) uses a Cristec 12v/60a charger, Cristec isolator, 2kw-Mastervolt inverter with 4 AGM's (100ah per), also with 2 AGM's dedicated to bow thruster.
-Cristec charger states it can be configured to LFP.
-Not sure how or if the existing isolator might be utilized with a LFP upgrade(?)
-I think the 2k MasterVolt inverter (AC Master 12/2000) shouldn't be an issue, but not sure
-Monitor views each house AGM charge% via battery shunts

Any successful experiences out there willing to share their approach? Any diagrams and simple explanations would be appreciated. Thank you!
Ps. Hard to read but here is the DC system
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DC Diagram.pdf (1.73 MB, 72 views)
KeepInTune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2023, 12:26   #2

Boat: Southerly 480
Re: New Beneteau or Jeaneau boats switching to Lithium? Any experiences?

The inverter should work with LFP without any issues. The isolation transformer is only between shore power and the charger so also isn’t a problem. Sounds like your charger supports LFP so that’s good.

The gotcha may be in your alternator. You’ll want to look into that in detail.
shimari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2023, 17:00   #3

Thanks, Shimari. I'm learning that the isolator will simply "pour" the charging into the bank with the lowest charge (presumably, due to that being the lowest resistance). Hence, the LFP's would get charged first. That may or may not be advantageous.
Old 21-11-2023, 17:45   #4

Boat: Southerly 480

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepInTune View Post
Thanks, Shimari. I'm learning that the isolator will simply "pour" the charging into the bank with the lowest charge (presumably, due to that being the lowest resistance). Hence, the LFP's would get charged first. That may or may not be advantageous.
We may be talking about different devices. I don't believe that an isolation transformer adjusts the 'charge' in anyway. That's the function of the battery charger.

An isolation transformer isolates the shore ground from the ships ground. It won't have any affect on charging. It simply passes the power from shore to ship and establishes a new ground at the isolation transformer. Some transformers will step-up or step-down the voltage as well, but again no adjustments to 'charge' are done.
shimari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2023, 17:53   #5

Apologies. Not referring to isolator transformer but a battery isolator. The Cristec battery isolator, similar to Victron's Argofet.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Cristec Isolator pic.pdf (737.0 KB, 23 views)
Old 03-04-2024, 13:23   #6

Reviving this thread to see if/how any new-ish <5years old Ben's/Jenn's (or others with Cristec charger and batt-isolator) have made this lithium change working with their existing systems. Particularly with how the installed Cristec battery isolator is managing a LiFePO4 upgrade and if it does so without adding an external alt regulator.
Thoughts or experiences?
Old 03-04-2024, 20:00   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

REMEBER
only different lifepo4,gel lead ws lead battery, agm battery and other lead battery is float voltage and Equalizing Charge?
if you can switch off Equalizing Charge or change to 14v (for example) you can switch to lifepo4.

and you must ask are i ready to New Beneteau or Jeaneau boats charge to agm battery. because AGM battery must be in 10.00-12.00 in morning 100% charge ,keep 100% charge to night
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2024, 00:33   #8

Boat: Jeanneau 349

I have done this. I added a victron inverter charger as i didnt have an inverter before and added a balmar regulator. The rest is stock.
Letterkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2024, 10:08   #9

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepInTune View Post
Reviving this thread to see if/how any new-ish <5years old Ben's/Jenn's (or others with Cristec charger and batt-isolator) have made this lithium change working with their existing systems. Particularly with how the installed Cristec battery isolator is managing a LiFePO4 upgrade and if it does so without adding an external alt regulator.
Thoughts or experiences?
It’s the standard installation with a battery isolator if your alternator has an internal temp protection which the 115A Mitsubishi on Volvos and the 125A Valeo on yanmar have. That’s what’s offered as engines on both brands.
The isolation diode (argofet or cristec) isolates the lifepo4 and AGMs so they cannot discharge into each other but the alternator see both and minimum always have the agm connected when the BMS in the drop in LFP disconnects them because they are full, so no surge problem here. The alternator puts out 14.2V +/- 0.2V which also fits both chemistries.

The rest can stay as is only your shorepower charger, in this case the mastervolt combo and MPPT must be changed to the lithium Profil both have and all is good. No magic or complex change to lithium but you need an alternator that has an internal temp protection for that solution.
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2024, 15:37   #10

Thank you, Captain R. With the 125a Valeo having internal temp protection, keeping AGM for starter and bow-thruster (all connected, with house also, to the Cristec isolator) I should then be good to go. My Cristec shore-power charger has a LFP profile, as well as the Mastervolt inverter.
Thanks again. I'll update if/when I make the change.
--cheers.

Tags
beneteau, boat, enc, lithium