Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-11-2010, 01:33   #16

Boat: Beneteau 50
A couple things that may be true:

1) Women can find things much better/easier than men. Sometimes while staring at a collection of objects, a man (ok, me) can't see what he's looking for. I've learned to ask for help when looking for something.

2) Woman can actually multi-task. They can actually do more than one thing at a time. Men multi-thread. In other words, men switch (perhaps quickly) between 2 or more things. I've learned to never have a serious conversation with my wife while I'm driving. I can't keep up.

Regards,
Brad

2000 Beneteau 505 "Summer Boost"
bene505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2010, 05:09   #17

The picture is the cover art for this book.

Chicks Ahoy by Esther Friesner - WebScription Ebook
rev412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2010, 06:50   #18

Boat: grampian 26
I seem to recall reading about a captains wife back in the 1800's who was forced to take command of a sailing ship when her husband became ill. She was expert in celestial navigation and safely brought the ship to harbour. So no more excuses ladies,it is time to step up to the plate and take your rightful place at the helm.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2010, 06:54   #19

Boat: grampian 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
ROFL... love it!!!!

those testosterone overdosed sexist stinkpotters needed that come-uppance..LOL... ye didnt really start a riot-- we spiced it a bit and had fun!!!! besdes, the pidc is reallly cool....

Go easy on them stinkpotters. I make a good living off them.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2010, 06:57   #20

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou View Post
. . . Just in case you were not aware, not all female sailors are a carbon copy of Geena Davis in Cut throat Island
I am crushed, I was certain they must all be . . . Oh, well, one more male fantasy down the tubes. . .
Probably qualify for the thread - why did you quit cruising - or whatever.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2010, 07:10   #21

Boat: Roaring Girl: Maxi 120 ketch, 12 long
There's a lot of evidence of women with active roles aboard in the golden days of sail, whether known to be women or 'passing' as men. In the first category, there were the wives of the crew (particularly standing officers) in fighting ships (US and UK, but not French or Spanish), the wives and daughters of whalers and other long haulers (of whom Mary Patten, the woman Perchance refers to was one), and of course many working girls, particularly on UK ships which would be anchored off with pressed men not allowed shore leave.

In several fighting ships there is also evidence of women who dressed as men and were believed to be men, not least Hannah Snell, a UK marine who fought at Pondicherry and Mary Lacey who was a ships carpenter for many years. This was most common in the UK ships I believe, and very uncommon in the European navies. I'm not sure about the US.

And some women passed in other circumstances, most notably Jeanne Baret who was the lover of Commerson, Bougainville's naturalist. She went disguised as his valet, and (although there were suspicions) was not unmasked until Tahiti where the local people spotted her immediately. Bougainville forced her ashore at Madagascar and Commerson stayed with her. After his death, she returned to France and is the first white woman documented to sail round the world.

Outside Europe/America there are many more, eg the documented women navigators of Polynesia, who were integral to the astonishing feats that enabled the settlement of the Pacific, and pirates such as the Chinese leader whose name I forget right now. (There were also Atlantic women pirates, notably Anne Bonny, Mary Read and Grainne O'Malley.) Women were also, regrettably trade goods, as well not only on the Middle Passage but also on the Chinese treasure junks of Zheng He (15th century) who carried slave concubines.

So - we come in all shapes and sizes, have long been combatants and have lots of proud history behind us.
Roaring Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2010, 08:45   #22
Ike

Boat: FL12 12 ft rowboat, 8 foot sailing dink, 18 foot SeaRay I/O
Gavin. For three years I ran an industrial facility for the Coast Guard. We maintained. repaired and did rebuilds of all the buildings, electrical sytems, engines, aids to navigation, everything the Coast Guard had in Northern California, Nevada and Utah (yes the USCG had facilities in Nevada and Utah. Not anymore tho) We took care of it. We also did new construction putting up small buildings and installing elelctric and plumbing, equipment and machinery. So envision this as big burly construction type guys, lifting, toting, hammering. welding and so on. Some of these places you could only get there by boat or helicopter. Enter the women. Frankly they did as good if not a better job of it than the guys. Frankly most of the heavy lifting is done by machines. And most anything over 50 lb, you get two guys to lift it anyway, so why would a woman have a problem? She just gets someone to help or uses a block and tackle or other lifting device which is the same thing the guys were doing anyway. The only time I ever restricted what a woman was doing was going out on rescue boats when she was eight months pregant. And she wasn't happy about it either. She felt I was discriminating against her. I told I was discriminating against the baby.

My son is a paramedic. At the fire station he was volunteering at they had to cross train as fire fighters. Part of that was the ability to lift a person and carry them down a ladder. he really struggled with it. The only woman in the class put him and all the other guys to shame.

As usal it depends on the person. Some can handle it some can't, man or woman. Some are smart some aren't . I have learned to never ever tell a woman "you can't do that!" the last ime I said that to my wife she promptly made me look like a fool.
Old 30-11-2010, 09:46   #23

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid
There were also instances of women in the Viking age who were trained in arms and several who led raiding expeditions or owned their own ship.
Old 30-11-2010, 10:13   #24
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Being a Brit and a Corribee Owner I just gotta say one thing...
Ellen MacArthur - Official Website

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2010, 10:20   #25

Boat: Roaring Girl: Maxi 120 ketch, 12 long
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid View Post
There were also instances of women in the Viking age who were trained in arms and several who led raiding expeditions or owned their own ship.
Definitely!
Roaring Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2010, 10:44   #26
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
toldja!!!!--we are a lot stronger than we look-- and there ARE felames who wont acknowledge-- same as males who cant..lol--is alll good....
perchance--i used to own one-- but i wasnt testosterone riddled -LOL--there is a time and place for stinkpots. is just the drivers need a new brain.LOL--and you are correct-- too many females dont go for it--i dont know if it is due to the programming we have been drilled with over the years or what--- havent figured out my own gender yet... they are not quite interesting enough for me....i can only speak for my self....i dont mind getting dirty and messed up--i only mind cold and wet at once...or cold by itself.....
yes, many females made sea duty by faking being male--LOL----good thing we can do this as females now...

there is a lot one can do when one knows how to use leverage of bones rather than the muscles alone-- why risk straining a musccle whenye have such good long levers to pry heavy things and people for relocation under duress...adrenaline helps also....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote