Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2013, 01:50   #1
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Saucy's Countdown...

OK, so I answer so many questions about our upcoming dparture, that I thought I'd just make my own Q & A thread here!

OK, so our plans... This weekend I depart for UK for one month, primarily to see my Mum one last time before we sail off, and Lord knows when we'll be able to fly after that! I return beginning of APril, and we need to be out of the house and on the boat by end of APril. We have no leeway, cos of the dogs, it's not easy to find temp places to stay here with lively young pups, especially not black ones whose big white teeth stand out particularly well...

I could go on all day, but then you'd have nothing left to ask!
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:55   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49
Re: Saucy's Countdown...

I'll get the ball rolling .

Q: Where are you pointing your bow once you leave Kuwait?

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:59   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

april will be here before you can say "salaam-aliekum"!

best of luck with the new adventure and look forward to lots of "saucy" photos of your travels!

Yallah! alex
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 00:58   #4
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Well, the dog we were fostering had to go back to the shelter, so that at least gave me an excuse to be balling my eyes out. That all lasted about two days, and now I'm kinda over it, and back to ruthlessly throwing things I hate to give up onto the rubbish pile.

We have a sack full of green and red fabric that I bought about 8 years ago for $3 per roll. Not per metre, per roll. We have used it every Christmas since for table cloths at the cat club xmas dinner, plus as giant bunting for the boat during National Day Celebrations (national colours are red and green). This fabric is totalled. And yet HWMO picked it back up, and said we should keep it. What for? I asked him. Xmas decorations for the boat he said. I said was he kidding? He reckons we have space to keep an entire sack of ruined fabric JUST to decorate the boat at xmas, when he doesnt even believe in xmas??? I told him I'd buy some ribbons and made him put the fabric back!
Old 07-03-2013, 01:16   #5
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
I'll get the ball rolling .

Q: Where are you pointing your bow once you leave Kuwait?
We have only one choice, South East towards Oman.

We looked into going via Iran, but although it would actually be easy to get the dogs in there, they won't let me in through the seaport on account of being British, and apparently the Brits are being wankers to the Iranians at the mo. Or something like that. Probably political, so I won't go there!

So, that leaves us with the Gulf States. All of the Gulf States, however, require an import permit for dogs, so we decided to just chose one. Since there's nothing of interest in Bahrain, Qatar or the UAE, we picked Oman. largely because there i great diving in the Musandam, partly because there is great landscape and very little cosmo there, and mainly because the people there are awesome. Omanis are born humble and kind.
Old 07-03-2013, 02:42   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Saucy's Countdown...

Whats the plan after Oman... west to Yemen or east to Karachi or Bombay.. being 'on the scene' so to speak what news on the Somali situation.. enjoy the 'Pool' our kid..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:03   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Whats the plan after Oman... west to Yemen or east to Karachi or Bombay.. being 'on the scene' so to speak what news on the Somali situation.. enjoy the 'Pool' our kid..
personally if leaving in may,i would head for salalah,then wait for the sw monsoon in june,before heading for cochin or the maldives.

then cross the equator in july with a stop in chagos,then head for madagasgar,top end,visit nosy be' and mayotte then head down to south africa in october,cape town dec,arrive in the carib may.

that should keep you occupied for the first year!

some nice photos of nosy be' to whet your appetite

https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/ORTNB
Old 07-03-2013, 03:20   #8
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Saucy's Countdown...

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
personally if leaving in may,i would head for salalah,then wait for the sw monsoon in june,before heading for cochin or the maldives.

then cross the equator in july with a stop in chagos,then head for madagasgar,top end,visit nosy be' and mayotte then head down to south africa in october,cape town dec,arrive in the carib may.

LOL... just pulled up Google Earth and found theres been a lot of volcanic activity and serious settlement on the new islands created in the Arabian Sea... tons of photographic evidence..
personally I'd make the run down while the NE monsoon winds are still blowing Muscat to the islands or S India.. from memory end of May onwards was pretty rough and blowy along the Pakistan/N India waters... get that leg outa the way asap then take it from there..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 03:37   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
LOL... just pulled up Google Earth and found theres been a lot of volcanic activity and serious settlement on the new islands created in the Arabian Sea... tons of photographic evidence..
personally I'd make the run down while the NE monsoon winds are still blowing Muscat to the islands or S India.. from memory end of May onwards was pretty rough and blowy along the Pakistan/N India waters... get that leg outa the way asap then take it from there..
+1,though she said they are not leaving till the beggining of may,so it would have to be a fast run south before the monsoon kicks in in june creating a nasty lee shore.
Old 07-03-2013, 18:07   #10

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

When we left our house we burned 21 boxes of "important papers" "Keep This For Your Permanent Records Until Your Grandchildren Retire". It took 3 days.
Where are you sailing to?
Old 07-03-2013, 18:51   #11

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucySailoress View Post
...so that at least gave me an excuse to be balling my eyes out...
I believe that the word you are looking for is "bawling". I'm pretty sure that "balling" is a completely different activity.

That said, best of luck with your adventures. I am jealous!
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 21:47   #12

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

I hope you'll be able to post here from time to time. I've enjoyed your banter and help.
kind regards,
Old 08-03-2013, 22:49   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyalan View Post
I believe that the word you are looking for is "bawling". I'm pretty sure that "balling" is a completely different activity.
Balling is a BETTER activity!
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2013, 12:21   #14
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hey there,

Just thought I'd let yáll know where we're at. I just spent 5 hellish weeks in UK where I went to say good bye to the folks who have barely seen me anyway for the last 17 years. Or at least that's what I told ém - really I went to renew my passport which had only 6 pages left witha year and a half to run!!!

Was hoping to see some crocuses and daffs for the first time in 17 years - and I did. Under three inches of snow, which was a little bit of a surprise. Especially since Easter last year they were sunbathing in the parks. Oh the joys of British weather.

Anyway, back in Kuwait, and we have squeezed the contents of our 8 bedroom house into one bedroom and two lounges. I have two weeks to squeeze that all into the boat, after HWMO has sorted the watermaker, compressor and generator which we have decided we can't do without.

Would say more, but gotta go pack...
Old 14-04-2013, 12:28   #15
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Yup. We're not really planning on heading past Somalia. We were, back in the days when MarkJ was heading that way, but changed our minds about that a few years ago, and haven't seen anything yet to change our minds!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post

some nice photos of nosy be' to whet your appetite

https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/ORTNB
That's sort of the route we've got drawn on the world map that's disappeared from our kitchen door.... but with a loop of Asia thrown in between Maldives and Madagascar...