Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Families, Kids and Pets Afloat
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2011, 17:08   #1
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"
Just Found 'this' to Save Our Loved Ones

GPS Pet Locator, GPS Dog Collar, GPS Pet Tracker, SpotLite, SpotLight - Securus Inc.

wow, didn't know this existed.
gps dog tracking.

needed
dog tracking unit 150-250
satellite phone
they can tell you the GPS cords of your pets.
i think this would be invaluable.
imagine, as some have experienced, your pet going overboard.
simply call them up, and set your GPS to go back to them, with live updates.
this is on my list before i set out for the first time.
eprib, dog location gps.

has anyone else tried this/ have this?
scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2011, 17:19   #2
cruiser

Re: just found this to save our loved ones.

i guess it only works in north America, within cell phone reception range. still good for coastal then.

i have emailed to ask them if there is a handheld way to find them, via locator box or such. if i knew a bit more about HAM operation, i am sure there is a frequency that you could scan to find the cell phone signal. and if you were out in the blue water, i am betting there would not be many cell signals around. i will hold out hope for this solution, or one like it.
Old 29-05-2011, 17:39   #3

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

Your first post said satellite phone
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2011, 17:40   #4
cruiser

i was reading up on it further, when i came across the hidden service area map.
Old 03-06-2011, 07:56   #5

Boat: Gulfstar 41, Center Cockpit Ketch
Re: Just Found This To Save Our Loved Ones

Along this general line, I sail with a hyperactive "Gufito Black Dog" 18 months old. I worry to death she is going to go over sometime when I am not aware. She has gone into the water twice with botched entries into the dinghy. Easy to get her back in, but what about when I am not aware?

I put 3M reflective tape on her collar, since she would be invisible at night without it. I'm not about to restrict her deck movements, since her turf is already so limited. She seems savy about the water, and boat movements.

But what do other people do except worry?
captchetco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 08:11   #6
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

dont forget the critters inflatable life vest for the floatation needed for goggie to not die as you search forr his lil fuzzbutt.....i keep my kat tethered during rough passages.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 10:27   #7
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Check out any hunting supplier, LLBean, Cabela, etc. There are trackers that attach to dog collars, Garmin might actually make something similar to their Rino radios for this purpose. They have a limited range but they are direct radios designed so a hunter "anywhere" can find out where "that damned dog" took off into the brush, and get it back again.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 12:53   #8

Boat: Bruce Roberts Offshore 38

You can get MOB systems that sound alarms and mark waypoints for when a transponder attached to a crew member (or pet) falls overboard and gets too far from the boat.

Some of the more expensive ones also have tracking features in them to help you zero in on the overboard crew.

Not really good for anything, but fun to push down the stairs.
rustypirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 14:19   #9

Boat: Gulfstar 41, Center Cockpit Ketch

I mentioned my pup was hyperactive. I have a PFD for her, but she is always catching it on things, so I only put it on her when things are especially dangerous, Her OBs have been at anchor.

The idea of a small transmitter would be very attractive to me, as long as its reliably made. Too much wanna be junk out there now, that I don't trust. Be interested in recommendations. Ana swims very well, and here in the tropics, hypothermia is not a problem. My real concern is her going over when I'm not paying attention. She can't quite get in the dinghy by herself, though we are going to be able to overcome that, but there is no way she could get back on the boat. I have her in a harness so she's easy to grab to lift out (weighs 10k)

She stays below if the weather gets snotty, and I would worry if she were restrained there out of sight. Occasionally she will stick her head up the gangway probably out of curiosity, but not come up. I don't know how useful netting is, since you have to leave so many openings. I had a girl friend with a rat terrier, and put up netting, but would usually find the dog had gone to the outside of it to bark at something. she was small enough to always be in Lesa's lap when things got dicey.

Would be interested in hearing about any device giving a tracking signal.
captchetco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 05:13   #10

Boat: Seafarer 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by captchetco
I mentioned my pup was hyperactive. I have a PFD for her, but she is always catching it on things, so I only put it on her when things are especially dangerous, Her OBs have been at anchor.

The idea of a small transmitter would be very attractive to me, as long as its reliably made. Too much wanna be junk out there now, that I don't trust. Be interested in recommendations. Ana swims very well, and here in the tropics, hypothermia is not a problem. My real concern is her going over when I'm not paying attention. She can't quite get in the dinghy by herself, though we are going to be able to overcome that, but there is no way she could get back on the boat. I have her in a harness so she's easy to grab to lift out (weighs 10k)

She stays below if the weather gets snotty, and I would worry if she were restrained there out of sight. Occasionally she will stick her head up the gangway probably out of curiosity, but not come up. I don't know how useful netting is, since you have to leave so many openings. I had a girl friend with a rat terrier, and put up netting, but would usually find the dog had gone to the outside of it to bark at something. she was small enough to always be in Lesa's lap when things got dicey.

Would be interested in hearing about any device giving a tracking signal.
Check into www.safetyturtle.com. Appears to a good alert product for pet overboard.
Dkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 08:07   #11
STG

Boat: Coronado 35

Unless I just didn’t see it, I didn’t read anything about it being used for marine, or anything that mentioned how it holds up being wet, let alone submerged (even if only for a second on the initial splash). It appears the rechargeable battery is removable, which seems to indicate it might not be very watertight.
STG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 08:11   #12

critters inflables are just that-- AND use TETHER if the animal keeps disappearing, may be onto my boat--i donot appreciate other critters in my boat--nor does bubby like other critters in his boat-- keep the dog on a leash if it continues to disappear, will go into other boats. had just that happen in a dock situation-- didnta ppreciate iit at all.. my cat is tethered in marinas-- he doesnt disappear .......nor does he be an unwanted pest to the others who are neighbors.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:28   #13
STG

Boat: Coronado 35

The manufacturer said they recommend that you remove the device if your pet is going to go swimming. In other words, it won’t hold up to the submersion. Per the other posters above, I think the MOB systems are the only reliable thing designed for just that purpose.
Although, as I am constantly seeing signs posted at the marina for lost cats (seems they don’t like living on the water) it might be a good tool to use to find your missing feline if it isn’t too big for their necks.
STG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 08:37   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by STG View Post
The manufacturer said they recommend that you remove the device if your pet is going to go swimming. In other words, it won’t hold up to the submersion. Per the other posters above, I think the MOB systems are the only reliable thing designed for just that purpose.
Although, as I am constantly seeing signs posted at the marina for lost cats (seems they don’t like living on the water) it might be a good tool to use to find your missing feline if it isn’t too big for their necks.
those who LOVE their cats use TETHERS/LEASHES for them to save their lives.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:50   #15

Boat: Seafarer 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by STG
Unless I just didn’t see it, I didn’t read anything about it being used for marine, or anything that mentioned how it holds up being wet, let alone submerged (even if only for a second on the initial splash). It appears the rechargeable battery is removable, which seems to indicate it might not be very watertight.
The product sends on alert signal to home base when it gets wet. If your child or animal goes swimming the alarm sounds. It is not a gps.
Dkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote