Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Families, Kids and Pets Afloat
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-08-2011, 07:52   #16

Boat: PT-11
Re: Just Found This To Save Our Loved Ones

If you have a human MOB system you can specifically recommend, please do so. All the ones I have researched either require manual initiation, send an epirb signal (which I don't think you can use for a pet) or require the use of those bulky and unreliable antenna direction finders (which would be a bear to dig out and set up in a POB situation). The AIS SART offerings look interesting, but so far they appear to require manual initiation and not approved in the U.S.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2011, 08:04   #17
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

most of the man overboard stories end with dead man in water somewhere and a mob system undeployed as is difficult at best to grab it whenye fall overboard, i would presume, it being not in a position for grabbing as the guy tries to pee and is falling....... does that make sense? how about a mob system deployed when pressure on cockpit sole is suddenly removed...(could get interesting)
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2011, 08:08   #18

Well, they have some which send an alarm when someone leaves a certain barrier, but they don't provide for tracking.
Old 26-08-2011, 08:09   #19
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

add spot---
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2011, 08:17   #20

Boat: S&S Hughes 38

Raymarine Lifetag MOB recovery system.
highseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2011, 09:20   #21
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Just Found 'this' to Save Our Loved Ones

Neko, "pets" are generally treated under US and "Western" loaws as either property (chattel goods?) or livestock or even medical equipment in the case of service and companion animals. Since we define "emergency" as "the immenent loss of life or property", yes, the imminent loss of a "pet" overboard would appear qualify as an EPIRB situation since it falls within the definition of "emergency".

Of course the Coasties might get upset and bill you for the quarter million dollar turnout to find FiFi, but isn't she worth it? <G>

I don't see a problem with systems that go off automatically (you can even buy them for $50 to keep track of footloose luggage in airports) and there shouldn't be an issue with having to manually use an antenna. Consider the alternatives:

You can look at a "radar" screen of some type that says "He went thataway" or you can point the antenna around until it says "LOOK HERE!" and points you right at the MOB. If you don't have room to stow one in a ready position...Odds are you can make room if that's a priority. Life rafts, ditch bags, pfds, all that junk takes up space no matter how you slice it. So you put a little plywood box on some bulkhead or obscure corner where it won't bump your head.

I don't see a real issue.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2011, 11:34   #22

Spot requires manual activation. And when I say manual activation, I mean it has to be done by the dog in the water.

Lifetag is only a barrier notification - ie, if someone goes over, it just sounds an alarm. You are on your own to find the person/pet.

I don't think I could pick up a half submerged dog on radar. My radar skills aren't that sharp. And have you ever used one of those hand held radio direction finding antennas? They literally are the things you saw on Gilligan's Island that look like little TV antennas and make buzzing noises when you are in the general direction. They don't have great range, and are real tricky to get down. I tried some in exploring this issue, and decided they weren't practical. Maybe they'll work for you.

The best option, truly, is an AIS tracker. Its local, can give coordinates and can (repeat can, but isnt yet) able to turn on automatically on contact with water. This I think has the most potential. If you're interested, look here: Panbo: The Marine Electronics Weblog: easyRescue personal AIS SART, hands-on #1
Old 26-08-2011, 12:07   #23

Boat: Westerly Centaur. 26'
Send a message via Skype™ to familycruisers

How about something like this, and just you or a sail shop incorporate it into the harness/collar.

gps pet tracker - Product Details

Waterproof, and if you have a smart phone there ya go, or better yet tethered to laptop for a nice big screen, go pick up fido!! Lots of options these days.
familycruisers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2011, 12:21   #24

Boat: S&S Hughes 38

Lifetag is Seatalk compatible,making it a tracking recovery system.
highseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2011, 12:23   #25

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'

I'd be curious if anyone has tried any of these types of systems. Right now my dog is either tethered if on deck or below in the cabin. I always have her down if the weather is bad or choppy seas. Her life vest goes on with the rest of the crew below or not. I have a ruffwear harness she wears if on deck so I can hoist her out should she go for an accidental swim. I am always afraid to rely on a piece of equipment because they always fail me at the worst possible time.
SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2011, 19:40   #26

OK, Lifetag's seatalk connection only tells the plotter to plot a MOB point. Since the unit itself does not broadcast anything other than a simple frequency to tell the base unit it is still there, it can't be tracked.

The GPS pet tracker requires a cell signal, making it unusable a few miles offshore.

Any more? Seriously, you'd think this would exist but it does not.

Sailcruiser: That's what we do. And tether her on deck at night or when rough.
Old 26-08-2011, 20:20   #27

Yeah, tracking a swimming dog offshore more than a couple miles would be impossible, but a phone call to someone to relay the coordinates? It's a gps, it should track it anywhere globally, but for you to have the ability to track yourself, idk, satellite internet?
Old 26-08-2011, 20:28   #28

That thing can be programmed to have a proximity alarm but its probably to a fixed point, not a moving boat. The possibilities are there though, commercially it doesn't look like its been done yet, sadly.