Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2010, 15:20   #1

Boat: Shin Fa 458 Custom Cutter but looks like a Liberty 458
International Health Certificate ?

Having read as many books as possible about traveling to different countries with pets, we see that many require some sort of health certificate, namely an International Health Certificate.
Having checked with our vet as well as the USDA here in Colorado, there are numerous forms that are required to get said certificate. A different one may be required for each country that we are planning on visiting--Guatemala, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Panama, French Polynesia, etc.
Has anyone run into problems getting into these, or any for that matter, countries where they are actually asked for a health certificate? So far, Canada and Mexico have not asked us for anything regarding our pets other than the standard question "Have they had their vaccinations?". Do we REALLY need one of these certificates? Plus, we read on the bottom of the application that they are only good for 30 days!!
mestrezat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 15:35   #2
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
go to NOONSITE.COM and check it out--YES you DO need the paperwork stating your critter has had shots, is parasite free, and is healthy. this should be done within 10 days of departure. this is mainly for you to return to usa. is needed also for anyplace brit. there have been pet quarantines done-- you do NOT want your pet quarantined.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 15:38   #3

Boat: Shin Fa 458 Custom Cutter but looks like a Liberty 458
"from departure"?

Departure from where? The USA or from Mexico? We will be heading back to Mexico as soon as we get these documents. Is that what is meant by "departure" or is when we leave the dock and start cruising again.
If the "certificates" from the USDA are only good for 30 days, what do you do after that?
mestrezat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 15:48   #4
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
as far as i know ans wa stold by my vets legal dept, who is my source on this-- wi5thin 10 days of leavin gusa, vet last visit and ppers in hand. then leave. have documentation. this is for return here. make sure vet has written that your critter is up todate in shos and is parasite free, very important that. keep records of where you go and where you been-- is for pet , not for you-- silly, isnt it that we cant travel with pets without th e jumping thru hoops--but is for pets safety ,, spozedly. mexico is easy. most places are easy except anyplace brit-- bvi, bahamas, bermuda, gb, etc....bookmark noonsite and have fun!! the virgin islands nd other places is by the country--is also most important-- there are places that the visa and permit must be obtained prior to arrival. i found these places didnt bother to answer my inquests as to what and when etc for my kat. every place is different--please look up each one in noonsite so you are covered and safe. i didnt get a usda one--i got a veterinarian one from an acknowledged vet ..my vet didnt know anything about the usda thing-- nor did the legal dept there-- so we got a goodie bag--- papers and copies and prescriptions for in cae-- and good to go . we also had to certify that bubba daboatkat doesnt get off boat at all ever.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 16:15   #5

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
Many islands also require a rabies titer (not a rabies tag) which requires sending doggy blood to a lab in Ohio and waiting about 3-4 weeks. The certificate requires a trip to the USDA with the government examination form from a vet. If the pet is going to be aboard all the time - most islands including the British islands are more leanient.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 16:18   #6

I would think you'd go to Mexico without one, I've never been asked. But of course have all the shots and the paper to 'prove' it. Then when you are leaving Mexico get one for the next destination. It will be less expensive that way. We went to a vet in La Paz to get one. Simple, professional, inexpensive.

Incidentally, returning thru San Diego, several times, HSA just patted the cat on the head...no questions.

Pets on boats, ugh, the things I do for women.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 16:25   #7

Boat: Pacific Mariner 65
We've taken our cat to most of the Caribbean islands as well as the Mediterranean. I had a health certificate for him when we left the USA, and he was current on his rabies vaccine. That is all I needed for cruising with him. While in Europe, I got him an EU pet passport. It's good in all of the European Union countries, and everywhere else has accepted it. When I returned to the US from Italy, they looked at it & all was fine. That is what I use these days for his travel. There are multiple pages on it for vets in [U]any[U] country to write in re: his exam/vaccinations & then sign & stamp it.

I believe it's true that the USDA is only good for 30 days. I didn't get this when I left and have never needed it. The Bahamas requires a pet permit to be gotten in advance of visit. Definitely noonsite.com can assist w/additional information. But for our travel, many/most places don't ask to see anything on my cat.
rockerdar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
health