Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2012, 06:48   #16

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400
Re: Cats in General

I made a nice one for my cat on a post under the NAV station. She does not even see it but loves to scratch my leather helm cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid View Post
My cat pretty much sleeps where ever she wants to--usually in my berth at night. As for a nautical-like scratching post, you might try making one of sisal rope:

How To Make a Sisal Rope Cat Scratching Post
jacob30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:11   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob30 View Post
I made a nice one for my cat on a post under the NAV station. She does not even see it but loves to scratch my leather helm cover
Try rubbing catnip on the scratching post.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:20   #18
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin

Just remember to restrict their daily grog rations!

The pan with the lid is her litter. She (Shadow) would let us know when it was time to use it. She's always been a house cat hense the tether. She has no common sense to return to that evil boat. Twice she made a leap for freedom only to end up in the water.

Travelling with her was fun. She was very much part of the crew but not much at handling lines!

Most of her days were spent doing this.....

She got the same diet as she did ashore.

Squirt wasn't as content on the boat as Shadow. At his first opportunity he jumped ship and was on his own in the woods for 4 1/2 months before we caught back up to him.

We've now got three more rescues for a total of 5 which makes taking none of them boating a reality. When we're ready to cruise full time at least 3 will have to go.
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 15:54   #19

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

We anchor almost exclusively because our Mickey will jump ship in a heartbeat. We have to lock him down when we refuel. We keep his litter box in the forward cabin.
Old 04-07-2012, 18:27   #20

Boat: 1977 S2 8.0
We have a Sphynx (hairless car). She pretty much stays in the head because it is warm and that is where her food water and litterbox are. She can roam the cabin as she pleases absolutely only allowed outside with strict supervision because she cannot swim and would sink immediately. She falls over with a life vest and hangs herself tied (retarded cat?) so is always supervised. She is declawed and eats Evo grain free dry food.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-135153193.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	222.5 KB
ID:	43054  
Tori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 19:03   #21
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

my bubba has been on board now for 6 yrs--since kittenhood, 5 1/2 or 6 weeks of age. he still is happy with his figure 8 harness backwards for safety, and tether---only goggies wear leashes. he walks on that tether and will fetch and catch and come to his name. he is 16 pounds and a maine coon mix.
litter is on coach roof unless is raining, when is under the dinettee or somewhere else--his food is under dinette table, and he is allowed to scratch certain posts around which i have placed rope for his use. he doesnt scratch furniture. yes i trained him diligently for htis boat life stuff, but he was smart and had manners when i met him. i will post pix when my wifi is good enough to load em. we are inmexico in a formosa 41-he loves it. he also NEVER leaves boat.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 21:37   #22

Boat: csy 37

we have a 37 foot sailboat and cruise with 2 cats - both 'alley' cats we got from the local pound. they are perfectly happy in the boat and have never gone ashore, easy because we usually anchor out.

we have a large head and are able to keep their litter box in it, only have to move it when we take showers. we use ordinary litter you might buy in the supermarket and clean it out every morning, sometimes in the evening as well. food is the same that they eat at home - canned.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 14:17   #23

Yea Z if I put a harness in Myranda she falls over as if crippled and then tries to entangle herself since she has a severe heart problem I chose to stop trying because it stresses her too much
Old 05-07-2012, 15:21   #24
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i found it only works when harness is on cat upside down--ie, cross over is under gato--then clip cat on under chest and cat will walk with line in teeth to control it--takes time, but it works. use really light line to start. they arent beasts of burden and will not walk with anything on back. proud critters...

cat treats--i use salmon greenies--WORK!!!!!! bubba loves em...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 15:35   #25

Boat: Lagoon 440

Gotta get a cat and call him 'Mono'.....
Old 05-07-2012, 16:27   #26

Boat: Beneteau 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us
Gotta get a cat and call him 'Mono'.....
+1 too funny!
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 16:35   #27

Boat: Beneteau 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag
i found it only works when harness is on cat upside down--ie, cross over is under gato--then clip cat on under chest and cat will walk with line in teeth to control it--takes time, but it works. use really light line to start. they arent beasts of burden and will not walk with anything on back. proud critters...

cat treats--i use salmon greenies--WORK!!!!!! bubba loves em...
We started putting harnesses on our two cats a couple of months ago to get them use to them in advance of our move aboard next month. We took Zee's advice and put the figure-8 on upside down. One cat has adjusted very well, the other has been a challenge ... Only moves around in a crouch and tries jumping backwards to get out of it. Usually we take pity on her and take it off at bedtime, but by then she is pretty pissed and it is a battle to get it off. Thanks for the advise Zee!
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 21:08   #28

Tried it but I am convinced she is retarded lol. It is good advice and I suspect would work on most cats...I have tried acclimating her to a harness, a collar (for identification not restraint) and a sweater (no hair). She will not tolerate anything falls over, panics , thrashes stresses me because of her heart problem.
Old 16-07-2012, 22:26   #29

Boat: Ranger 22, currently saving for a larger cruising boat

I have a little dockyard cat named Pickles that goes sailing with me on occasion, he absolutely loves it. he will seek out the litter box where ever it is, and won't scratch furniture. a couple things that he likes to do are to climb up onto your shoulder and sit like a parrot, like every bit of salt he can find and jump onto you in your sleep but he is so adorable that I can't yell at him.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pickles.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	446.5 KB
ID:	43540  
Old 17-07-2012, 03:26   #30

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
We just got two new cats. One was a gift for mothers day to the admiral. The other we plan to live aboard in in a few short years. Just moved the big the cat from St Augustine to New Port Richey and the new kitty "Nibbler" went with us. He loved it. The diesels put him to sleep. He never jumped ship but loved to sit near the toe rail and watch people dockside. He did venture forward a few times to find his momma when.we did some overnights. And he was great amusement. I like dogs more but he was a blast on the boat a.d the heat didn't bother him a bit.this was his typical position even when it was rough out.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ForumRunner_20120717_052651.png
Views:	334
Size:	260.2 KB
ID:	43559  
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote